Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Test to be conducted

Can I do it? :cool:

Not that I ever bothered to make the distinction, I just like to do both. Any "stlyists" that do both "soft" and "hard" styles of striking?
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

https://www.instagram.com/bullshido/

Comment

I'll let you know when the test is being cinducted, Iknow this is a form to fill out.
      As for guys doing both "hard" & "soft"...
      Beats the hell out of me, I guess they would have to be one or the other. Just to keep it simple.

Comment

Studies like this have been done before, but never to COMPARE styles or sizes.
        The have usually been done to test safety gear, like head gear and gloves.
        This will be a unique test.
        Any suggestions?

Comment

Good add on, I will forward that to my buddy :)

Comment

Re: Test to be conducted

Originally posted by ronin69
            QUANTITY OF TECHNIQUES:
            TEST SUBJECTS SHALL EXECUTE EACH APPLICABLE TECHNIQUE, 5 TIMES.
            THE SCORES SHALL BE ADDED UP AND DIVED BY 2 TO REACH AN AVERAGE FOR SPEED AND FORCE.
            He should divide by 5, since there are 5 trials. In addition, standard deviation should be calculated at least.

Comment

Actually , I fucked up
              :(
              That is an "old" version of the test procedure.
              They will test 10 tries, get highest and lowest and median.
              All 3 values will be posted.

Comment

Originally posted by ronin69
                Actually , I fucked up
                :(
                That is an "old" version of the test procedure.
                They will test 10 tries, get highest and lowest and median.
                All 3 values will be posted.
                Good stuff.

The only problem with this test is that if your friend has some sort of a personal bias, it is bound to show up in the data. There are two reasons for this. First of all, the samples are too small to be "statistically significant" and since he will know which ones are boxers, which ones are soft stylists, whatever. Because of this, whatever bias he has will unconsciously seep into the data.

In any case, it would be cool to see the results.
                You say what about my rice?

Comment

I was concerned about HIS baias, he is a boxer.
                  But the test will be conducted by NON MA types.
                  It will be hard enough to get 50 of anything, I personally think if he gets 20 of each type, he will be lucky.
                  Everyone says they can hit, but ask them to show it on test that can actually measure it.... well, you get the picture.
                  The sheet that the volunters fill out askes th ebackground and name of the gym with phone munber, and it will be verified.
                  With the boxers it will be easy, with the MA, I am not so sure.

Comment

Very cool. The combat world needs more of this. Let us know the results.

Comment

The hard and soft styles can't really be separated out can they? I mean, once you start hitting, striking, with power... Soft becomes hard in application right? I suppose it is possible to find people who only trained in tai chi or something similar, it would seem a difficult task to me though. Would your friend be interested in adding a category for people who have a background in both hard and soft work?

I think this is great!
                      One Somali Pirate.

Comment

The soft stylist will be Taiji, Bagua, Xingi.
                        The theory is that soft stylist hit different than hard, so by comparing we will see if that is so, and if the way they do it is "better", if that is the right word.

Comment

Statistical significane of results with his sample size will be more effected by effect size, the power (1- [Prob of Type II error]), and the variation within treatment groups. With that size of a group there is little chance of a type one error (at least that's how it seems to me).

While any test of this sort is difficult to get generality from (i.e. extend to a population as a whole) 25 individuals in each group is a pretty damn good size for any testing done with large mammals.

Of course you can always work with flies and get ridiculously high sample sizes, or with geese ( I know a guy who is able to study 1/4 of an entire population at a time, how's that for sample size and generality).

Comment

Dochter is correct. It's not like you're conducting national opinion polls.
                            Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the fuck I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Comment

So the size of the groups seems to be ok?

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X