Goshin Do/Goshin Jutsu karate rears its silly head again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Porfilio

What I find ironic about Ralph is how he has helped some folks like Tommy at the same time he has alienated so many others. I believe Ralph is aware of his own flaws to at least some degree. I don't believe he is able -perhaps "willing " is a better word- to overcome his own flaws. Now I have read on this forum recently that Ralph has driven Tommy away and that's a shame. I know Tommy got a lot out of his relation with Ralph in a personal growth sense. However, this may be the best thing for Tommy ultimately, as he can move along and find the great big world of legitimate budo out there, perhaps starting with Elmar, who is a real nice guy with a level head on his shoulders. Anyone still in the area who can get to Tommy might consider suggesting a trip East for a day to meet Elmar. I bet he and Tommy would get along.

Comment

In Erie, Master Durant is a bit of a legend. Ralph Porfillio was my instructor's instructor. He and John Barton has a falling out a few years prior to my studing Goshin Do.

Comment

Originally posted by Kev Man View Post
        In Erie, Master Durant is a bit of a legend. Ralph Porfillio was my instructor's instructor. He and John Barton has a falling out a few years prior to my studing Goshin Do.
        Um, Durant wasn't a "master" of anything or anyone. He was a fraud, a liar and a scammer, who never earned any higher rank than green belt. He then promoted himself to black belt and proceeded to lie and scam people for decades.

Let's save titles like "legend" and "master" for people who actually deserve those accolades, shall we?

Comment

My .02 cents...

To my understaning Go shinjutsu means "self-defense." Kodokan Go Shinjutsu would be "Self-defense system of the Kodokan." I do not think it would stand on its own.

John Saylor's Shingitai Jujitsu was first called "Shingitai Goshinjitsu." It makes more sense the second way, but, due in large part to what you are reading here, it was changed.

I was part of the founding team when USJA created a "jujitsu" program. Many of us felt it should be called "USJA Goshinjutsu" rather than "USJA Jujitsu." I was very interested in having a solid program of that nature. It went in another direction, but I continue to teach it as "goshinjutsu."

However, there is one core thing I have learned in all my years of training. When they insist on using all those fancy titles... they are full of shit.
          "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." -- Hericletus, circa 500 BC

Comment

Originally posted by Mtripp View Post
            My .02 cents...

To my understaning Go shinjutsu means "self-defense." Kodokan Go Shinjutsu would be "Self-defense system of the Kodokan." I do not think it would stand on its own.

John Saylor's Shingitai Jujitsu was first called "Shingitai Goshinjitsu." It makes more sense the second way, but, due in large part to what you are reading here, it was changed.

I was part of the founding team when USJA created a "jujitsu" program. Many of us felt it should be called "USJA Goshinjutsu" rather than "USJA Jujitsu." I was very interested in having a solid program of that nature. It went in another direction, but I continue to teach it as "goshinjutsu."

However, there is one core thing I have learned in all my years of training. When they insist on using all those fancy titles... they are full of shit.
            Hard and fast rules like the last paragraph are invaluable as they let people know whether they should even explore a claim or not. It is true BTW!
            This thread never was a high quality conversation - My friend vern Gilbert on the William Acquier thread.

The fight in question having started over who owns which piece of rubble. Nicko1;2233174 On the Acquier Kim Fiasco slash thread.

Comment

So You Want Some Goshin Jutsu

Only the good Bring your best to Erie Pa.
              All you have to show up. You will find the truth.
              RE: Ask for Melton T. Or Tramp, If not SHUT UP PUNK!!

Comment

Originally posted by Pacer View Post
                Um, Durant wasn't a "master" of anything or anyone. He was a fraud, a liar and a scammer, who never earned any higher rank than green belt. He then promoted himself to black belt and proceeded to lie and scam people for decades.

Let's save titles like "legend" and "master" for people who actually deserve those accolades, shall we?
                YOU are a Fool!!!

Comment

Curious a Goshin Jitsu school in Murray (salt lake) Utah, starting up at Shin Dojo. Claims to be coming from some dude by the name of, "Stephen Capela, Jr., 10th Dan." and Jose Otero (unknown rank). and Jaqueline Barco, supposedly a "karate teacher," and one of the rudest women I have ever had the pleasure to not meet, from her e-mail communication style. This is their website: www.defendwithhonor.com
                  Anybody know anything about them, supposedly out of Pennsylvania. Anyone game to pay them a visit? ;o) 814-547-3860

Comment

Originally posted by slowmo9 View Post
                    YOU are a Fool!!!
                    Just come to Erie We DON'T hide behind a computer,and we are not hard to find!

Comment

You do realise you've just called yourself out there don't you?
                      "Chance favours only the prepared mind."

My Training Log

Comment

I well learn to use this site,but I know they know what I was saying and to who

Comment

I well learn to use this site,but I know they know what I was saying and to who
                          You're obviously either drunk or retarded. No one knows what the &^$(% you're talking about or to whom.

Comment

something about respect is my title here

YOU are a Fool!!!
                            Seems some folks just don't know much, if anything about respect. Strangely enough, some of my teachers, including multiple dan in various styles, including Ashihara, Enshin, and Kyokushin, didn't go around calling people things like "fool," etc. , seems like these Goshin folks, are a little bit of rude!? Here in salt lake, from her (local Goshin) own e-mail: "You're a loser..." I love it when folks go around calling people names, on the web, or in e-mail conversation, shows how great they really are! :5hi::5yes::icon_colo

Comment

"you don't need to go around telling people how good you are, you let your aroma carry the message," (shihan Johny Rochette)

Comment

Goshin Jutsu is in Judo, and means self-defense technique (art of), look it up on you tube. To name a syle of karate as such, is kind of hokey?

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X