judo throws in wrestling matches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

judo throws in wrestling matches

anyone ever see hip throws or foot sweeps or other types of judo throws in wrestling matches? we hear about wrestling techniques in judo matches, but do the judo techniques go into wrestling competitions as well?

Yes there is.....

Sweeps work well and leg hooks alot of moves in judo are similar to the ones wrestling.
    Once a fighter, Always a fighter. Shawn
    -Styles i train in-
    Judo
    Bjj
    Mtkickboxing
    Western boxing
    Wrestling

Comment

Uchi mata, kata garuma, etc.
      And that's when I figured out that tears couldn't make somebody who was dead alive again. There's another thing to learn about tears, they can't make somebody who doesn't love you any more love you again. It's the same with prayers. I wonder how much of their lives people waste crying and praying to God. If you ask me, the devil makes more sense than God does. I can at least see why people would want him around. It's good to have somebody to blame for the bad stuff they do. Maybe God's there because people get scared of all the bad stuff they do. They figure that God and the Devil are always playing this game of tug-of-war game with them. And they never know which side they're gonna wind up on. I guess that tug-of-war idea explains how sometimes, even when people try to do something good, it still turns out bad.

Comment

hip throws: hip toss from an over-underhook or bear hug/two on one, etc.
        leg trips: turks for high leg, simple trips for low leg, etc.

pretty much every variation exists. (and probably has a name.) if its legal in wrestling, its been done by someone.

do they work? ive known judo guys who could pull them off, mostly guys who specialized in one or two moves. the majority of wrestlers dont specialize in these because getting into position isnt high percentage, so when the situation does occur they arent as apt to have practiced the counters. the best defense for a wrestler is to not have the situation come up...

personally i like the hip throws. executed a little differently than i have seen judoka use, but close enough...

Comment

anyone ever see hip throws or foot sweeps or other types of judo throws in wrestling matches? we hear about wrestling techniques in judo matches, but do the judo techniques go into wrestling competitions as well?
          judo has kata garuma (fireman's) and morote gari (double leg), but I'm pretty sure those were *included* from wrestling.

There's a variation of uchi mata that's commonly seen in wrestling called a Japanese whizzer. Likewise, alot of the pickups (judo has something similar to a high crotch) and suplex (ura nage) sorta things are there as well. As far as hip throws go, koshi garuma (I think that's the name; or is it kubinage?) is identical to a pancake/head'n'arm. Furthermore, one of my high school friend's favorite throws was identical to the rice bale reversal.

As far as ashi waza goes, another of my compadres was a fan of something that he called a Russian trip (this one I'm fuzzier on), that was alot like de ashi barai (ashi waza names confuse me so it's likely that's the wrong name).

Comment

one note

The shodan at my judo club got his black belt in judo like 10 years ago or so. He then quit and did wrestling for something like 7 years. I guess he's been back to judo for the last 3. The main throws I see him do are tai otoshi, harai goshi, and I think ko uchi gari. I asked another instructor if he does morote gari (double leg) often, and apparently he doesn't. Apparently he didn't do it often when he wrestled either. I guess he mostly did judo throws.

Anyway, I'ma ask him about it on monday if I get a chance. I'd like to hear it from him directly.
            You want some birth control? You can smoke a cigarette.

Comment

Well, I can gurantee you he did not use Tai- Otoshi a lot in wrestling.
              And that's when I figured out that tears couldn't make somebody who was dead alive again. There's another thing to learn about tears, they can't make somebody who doesn't love you any more love you again. It's the same with prayers. I wonder how much of their lives people waste crying and praying to God. If you ask me, the devil makes more sense than God does. I can at least see why people would want him around. It's good to have somebody to blame for the bad stuff they do. Maybe God's there because people get scared of all the bad stuff they do. They figure that God and the Devil are always playing this game of tug-of-war game with them. And they never know which side they're gonna wind up on. I guess that tug-of-war idea explains how sometimes, even when people try to do something good, it still turns out bad.

Comment

Wrestling already has hip throws, trips, and sweeps. If you see these in a wrestling match then they are more likely to be typical wrestling moves than anything learnt by a wrestler cross-trained in Judo.

Comment

tai otoshi

Why no tai otoshi? Mike Swain shows a couple of no gi ways to throw tai otoshi. One is from a wrist grab and an underhook, and the other is a bit harder to explain.

MMA_Phil, yeah, but since he was ALREADY a black belt in judo, it's probably fair to say that his judo carried over a lot into his wrestling.

Comment

Oh, wait, sorry MMA_Phil. I just reailzed you weren't talking to me. My bad.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                    X