to GI or not to GI...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

to GI or not to GI...

so what do you guys think about the gi as a training device? is it the epitome of technique and finesse training or a useless relic of a bygone era? i'm talking mostly about judo and BJJ here, but feel free to chime in on other arts as well...

i'll start off. i've never trained with one and i don't see what the point of it is unless you live in the far north and everyone goes around in dog sleds and the proverbial "heavy winter coat" that apparently simulates gis so well...

far north?

Personally I'd like to train say.....70% no-gi and 30% with gi.

I AM in Canada after all...but then again we also have two or three days where people wear T-shirts so I need the no-gi stuff as well.

--
    Hard Work, Patience, Dedication
    You may be beaten but never broken.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

https://www.instagram.com/bullshido/

Comment

There is nothing special about a gi. It is not designed to be the ultimate in fighting wear or offer protection. And you're right most people don't where anything close to a gi in normal everyday life.

One of the things that a good fighter does is make use of the tools he/she has available. A gi techniques are perfect example of this. In competitions where gis are required knowing how to best use your own gi, and your opponents gi against them can be the difference between winning and losing. If you're not going to be competing in that arena, I'd say gi training isn't important.

I practice a primarly striking art and I chose to wear a gi, practically all the time. But in my case, I don't do anything with a gi that I can't without one, so it really doesn't factor in. For us the gi is purely ceremonial, as many people wear t-shirts as wear gis.

Edited by - Punisher on October 05 2003 21:06:30

Comment

Here in Lithuania, we have this thing called "winter". During this period of time, you're very unlikely to encounter someone in their gym shorts and a spandex t-shirt.

"He no able punch you...he sad."

--My Muay Thai instructor, praising the virtues of the technique he was demonstrating.
        Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

Comment

you folks from the frosty hoary north are pretty sensitive about it, huh?

i very much hope not to encounter any strange men in spandex t-shirts very often!

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
          X