Grandmaster Y.K. Kim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grandmaster Y.K. Kim

I ran by this place when looking around for schools, I gave them a call and asked what they were about and I got an earfull about the founder, almost seemed cultlike. Looking at his profile he seems about as BS as the rest of the bullshit artist on here...
    Anyway:

https://mawus.com/about_ykkim.cfm
    Last edited by RegularJoe; 8/15/2007 2:15pm, .

Btw I mean the rest of the BS artists you guys cover, not you...just wanted to clear that up before I get jumped on

Comment

Author of Martial Arts World, Tae Kwon Do World, Success in Martial Arts Business, Health is the Foundation of Success; and now, Winning is a Choice!
      I believe this could be, what is referred to as, a "red flag."

Comment

Grandmaster Y. K. Kim breathes, eats, and sleeps martial arts 25 hours a day and 8 days a week. His whole life isdedicated to improving and promoting the Martial Arts. Y. K. Kim is a living testament that the martial arts spirit and American Dream are alive and kicking. Born and raised in Seoul, Korea, and after he finished his military duty in his native country of Korea, he immigrated to America 1977 to begin his dream, despite harsh discouragement from many close advisors.
        He started homeless and without a green card. Eventually, Kim was able to overcome cultural shock, financial hardship and language barriers to achieve a rare level of success and build one of the strongest and most beneficial Martial Arts organizations in the world.

He has proven his principles in his own life, from humble -- and sometimes even embarrassing beginnings, to becoming a world leader of the Martial Arts. He conquered every obstacle, despite the language barrier, to eventually build a multi-million dollar organization. Through his blood, sweat, tears, and Martial Arts spirit, he made his American Dream become a reality. Y. K. Kim has shared his American dream through touching thousands of people's hearts and helping them to succeed through his diverse achievements.

Comment

what infantry unit you in

Comment

I see that guy all the time...he's had a reputation in FL (especially Orlando) as the originator of the McDojo for a while now...no self-respecting MA'ist around here has anything good to say about him...

Comment

WHAT GUY

Comment

I was 1-6IN, 1st AD, outta Germany.

Comment

Originally posted by lamokio
                  WHAT GUY
                  Y.K. Kim, the guy this thread is about...

Comment

I WAS IN 1ST 508 173RD AIRBORNE AVIANO AIR BASE ITALY

Comment

Anybody who lives in Orlando can probably chime in also...these are what I remember about YK Kim and his marketing from the 80's and early 90's....he literally was the precursor to Von Schmeling/Victory Martial arts here in Central Florida...complete with outrageous commercials (too bad I can't find it anywhere on the net), rivaling that of Team Chip TKD or whatever where they fight dragons...

- They broadcasted a cheesy commercial with a lady unconfidently walking to her car (not sure "unconfidently" is a word, but you get it) and a kid getting bullied at school...then they start taking TKD at YK Kim's TKD (before it became Martial Arts World), then the lady literally fights off multiple muggers and the kids like fighting off the bullies...YK Kim pops onto the TV and in his broken English screams "CARR ME NNNNAO!" (Call me now)

- He produced probably the most terrible MA movie ever created...the Miami Connection! http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092549/ Oh, I've seen it...he's got his students in it...some of them playing multiple roles...hilarity at its best.

"Y. K. Kim, internationally known Master of Tae Kwon Do, heads this cast into the ultimate test for survival when he and the members of the rock and roll band "Dragon Sounds" are forced to take on the Miami drug syndicate. From the college campus to night clubs, to the streets of Miami, the members of Dragon Sounds are confronted by bikers, gang members, and the underworld. The action, violence and brutality come to a climactic end when the forces of good and evil finally square-off in one of the best martial arts scenes ever put to film. "

- He used to do these "MA demonstration shows of the grand masters" or something...he'd bring over Jhoon Rhee and a bunch of his buddies and have them basically do their parlor tricks...it was essentially a circle jerk for the TKD community in central Florida...oh, and tickets were like $20 a pop.............oh, and not to mention it was really nothing more than a testing for his gajillion McDojo students disguised as a "Grandmaster demonstration". So before they even get to the grand masters (which was cool at the time, b/c I was a kid and all into TKD), we'd have to sit through an entire belt testing.

- My old TKD instructor's wife, was originally a student of YK Kim's...after class, he'd line up the women and get in their face and ask them forcefully, "DO YOU LOVE YOUR MASTER?!" Whether or not that shit still goes on, I dunno.

It's crazy man, at this point...YK Kim's a joke in central Florida, regarding any sort of quality martial arts instruction. He was ATA before ATA was ATA.....

Comment

Damn, what a pioneer!:bowdown:

It is pretty amazing that people can sleep at night after doing this sort of stuff.

Comment

THEIR ARE SO MANY FAKE'S IN THE MARTIAL ART'S IT'S SO WATERED DOWN

Comment

Originally posted by lamokio
                            THEIR ARE SO MANY FAKE'S IN THE MARTIAL ART'S IT'S SO WATERED DOWN
                            A brilliant point made with poor grammar, mispellings, *and* ALL CAPS!

You win the thread.

Comment

Turn your caps lock off.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X