money and mcdojos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

money and mcdojos

is it possible to make money in the martial arts without being a mcdojo?

Pay me $2,000 and I'll give you both a black belt and your answer.

Comment

i think that once money becomes the object of your dojo then there is no going back, you are on the path to mcdojoism
      CLICK THE ADDS ROMO!

This chapter will also show clips from a high-speed video in which Master Bristol conceals a Swiss Army Knife inside his buttocks. -from "The Magicians Code" by Hans Bristol

Comment

Short answer: Yes

Hard answer: Unfortunately, it requires teaching a lot of kids.

Comment

Definitely, although probably not if you're using the definitions most people want to on this website.

1) High prices don't make you a McDojo
          2) Contracts don't make you a McDojo
          3) Belt testing fees don't make you a McDojo

In my opinion the only thing that makes a McDojo is if they are teaching crap, or something that isn't what they claim it to be.
          The Wastrel - So attractive he HAS to be a woman.
          - Pizdoff

Comment

is it possible to have a place where you have people train hard but still retain a lot of students?

Comment

Well, in the last year my school has nearly tripled in size. The silat class used to have 5 students. Of those 5 2 changed jobs and only do silat in private lessons, 1 changed shifts and only does privates. I guess 1 quite. I'm the only 1 left. Last class hand 10 people. Scares the hell out of me being the senior student. Kali had 6, now it's up to 10 or so. The jun fan classes are packed (near 20 now, at 10 before). The real stunner is the kid classes. From about 10 total to near 40. They (kid's head instructor and the owner/head instructor) are hard on the kids, teach them functional kid doable SD, and gives away nada sashes. If the kid is wearing a sash he deserves it. IMO, the better (green) 10-12yr olds could wipe the matts with a teen TKD BB.

Comment

Yes, teach BJJ.
                And that's when I figured out that tears couldn't make somebody who was dead alive again. There's another thing to learn about tears, they can't make somebody who doesn't love you any more love you again. It's the same with prayers. I wonder how much of their lives people waste crying and praying to God. If you ask me, the devil makes more sense than God does. I can at least see why people would want him around. It's good to have somebody to blame for the bad stuff they do. Maybe God's there because people get scared of all the bad stuff they do. They figure that God and the Devil are always playing this game of tug-of-war game with them. And they never know which side they're gonna wind up on. I guess that tug-of-war idea explains how sometimes, even when people try to do something good, it still turns out bad.

Comment

Yes it is possible, but it does take a lot of planning. You have to learn how to implement programs within your system without compomising your system. No, charging a fair price for you services does not make you a McDojo. Why shouldn't you be paid what you feel you are worth? Do we call Nike a McShoe because they are more expensive than Keds?

The problem we have seen in the past is that many people water down their art in order to gain more students. This is why SCARS, DEFENDO, KRAV MAGA have become so popular, they supposedly supply what the traditional MA lacks. When in fact Traditional MA never lacked they just weren't taught...Kind of a catch 22
                  Jeremy M. Talbott

Originally posted by Phrost
                  "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
                  Originally posted by D.Murray
                  "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
                  Originally posted by hangooknamja88
                  My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Comment

is it possible to make money in the martial arts without being a mcdojo?
                    If you're really f'ing good, you can do a seminar circuit. Done correctly, you'll improve quality in many areas. However, done wrong, you end up with TKD schools teaching poorly-understood arnis or jujutsu.

*check yer PMs*

Comment

None of you fags even know what the fuck you're talking about. I bet most of you are know-it-all high-school shitheads or college snots and have never run a school before.

Comment

None of you fags even know what the fuck you're talking about. I bet most of you are know-it-all high-school shitheads or college snots and have never run a school before.

Oui Oui d'accord bla bla bla !!!

Comment

where is the school YOU run?

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                          X