What the hell is Kempo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What the hell is Kempo?

Seriously, since I don't know crap about it. Alright, we know that Punisher practices a Kempo with WC concepts thrown in, but what does that mean? What about "Shaolin Kempo Karate"? Is it Karate or Kung Fu or what? I thought Shaolin was a Chinese term and that Karate was more Japanese. Some other sites I have seen make it look like TKD with hand techniques thrown in. Does anyone know?

The Kempo guys dont even know, its the martial art without a home.....

Comment

I don't know either. I took an intro lesson once and all the guy could tell me was go see jeff speakman in "the perfect weapon". That was his only explanation.

I want to know why is it whenever I see some learn at home method, or some self promoted 10th degree BB, or some other appearent Martial Arts scam they are all associated with kenpo/kempo?

Almost every 5th degree black belt under 25 I have ever heard of is from Kempo/kenpo? Every add I see for earn your Black belt at home is Kempo/kenpo.

WHY???

Comment

Seriously, since I don't know crap about it. Alright, we know that Punisher practices a Kempo with WC concepts thrown in, but what does that mean? What about "Shaolin Kempo Karate"? Is it Karate or Kung Fu or what? I thought Shaolin was a Chinese term and that Karate was more Japanese. Some other sites I have seen make it look like TKD with hand techniques thrown in. Does anyone know?
        ok that's neat how all the replies were "I don't know" I guess people gotta get their post count up hahaha I'l try to add what I know but if anyone knows more please add too...

American Kenpo or Kempo (they are the same thing, spelled with different transliteration from Japenese) is a style that was developed primarily by Japenese immigrants and Americans in Hawaii in the middle 20th century. It was based mainly on the Mitose family style and the family style of William K.S. Chow (Kara-ho Kempo). Eventually it was reorganized by Ed Parker and re-named American Kenpo.

Kenpo is a japanese word that means "Fist law", in Chinese the same word is "Chuan-fa". In Japan I think when somebody says "Kenpo" they are referring to styles that are influenced primarily by Chinese styles. There are many branches of kenpo and Parker's American Kenpo is just one.

What do they all have in common? certain principles such as : strike vital areas, combine circular and direct movement to create a continuous flow of motion... these are not unique to kenpo but they are important to it.

So to sumamrize I think you could describe kenpo as a hybrid of japanese or okinawan karate with chinese boxing.

Shaolin Kenpo was developed by different people at different times - Villari, Castro, some European versions... mostly they take American Kenpo and try to incorporate 5 animal styles. It's not affiliated in any way with the Shaolin Temple (I don't understand the DeMasco thing) but they are variations on Kenpo trying to move closer to Chinese...

Davidcc

Comment

What about "Shaolin Kempo Karate"? Is it Karate or Kung Fu or what? I thought Shaolin was a Chinese term and that Karate was more Japanese. Some other sites I have seen make it look like TKD with hand techniques thrown in. Does anyone know?

Shaolin Kenpo was developed by different people at different times - Villari, Castro, some European versions... mostly they take American Kenpo and try to incorporate 5 animal styles. It's not affiliated in any way with the Shaolin Temple (I don't understand the DeMasco thing) but they are variations on Kenpo trying to move closer to Chinese...
          DavidCC, close, my not quite, American Kempo does make an appearence in Shaolin Kempo's history, but it is not the basis of Shaolin Kempo.

Shaolin Kempo Karate was brought together by Fred Villari, he was a student of Nick Cerio who at that time was teaching a combination Karazenpo Go Shinjutsu (1-5 kata, combinations 1-26) and Kyoshinken (spelling?) Karate (1, 3-5 pinan, 2 pinan was added by Cerio), along with some Kenpo he learned from Parker (2 man fist set), some advanced kempo forms. Villari broke off from Cerio, at that time there wasn't a whole lot of material in the Kempo Cerio was teaching after black belt because the whole idea of Dan Rankings was relatively new, so Villari started to addd Kung Fu forms that he had learned and some others that he had made up. He said they were shaolin, though nobody knows if that is true or not, and thus Shaolin Kempo karate was form.

Nick Cerio, was a student of George Presare who was the man behind introducing New England to the Hawaiian Kempo arts. Presare was a student of Victor Sonny Gason. Cerio also studied under Parker, and I believe got his 10th degree from parker, and got a black belt from Professor William K.S. Chow.

Sonny, a native Hawaiian, was a student of the Empardo brothers who taught the style of Kajukenbo. While serving in the military Sonny was introduced to chinese/korean martial arts concepts while stationed in Korea. After the military he ended up moving to california where he developed Karazenpo Go Shinjutsu.

The curriculum of Shaolin Kempo is that you are learning the Kyoshinken forms and Karazenpo forms & combinations at the same time up untill black belt, after that there are some advanced Kempo forms and the introduction to the "Kung Fu" forms.
          Apu: "Oh! You have just been Apu'd!"

Comment

"Shaolin Kempo Karate"?"

Shaolin-SMALL FOREST
            Kempo-The way of the fist/law of the fist
            Karate-Empty hands

If you study this style this is the best way to explain it: READY??

Small forest the way of the fist empty handed.

WHO THE FUKK CARES!!!!!! how many different ways do i have to tell you jackalopes it does NOT MATTER. a kick is a kick, a punch is a punch, circular is circular, chinese is chinese and japanese, well their eyes are a little bit more slanted, thats about it!

Comment

DavidCC, the Shaolin Kempo developed by Villari and the Shaolin Kenpo created by Castro are 2 seperate systems with different curriculums.
              Apu: "Oh! You have just been Apu'd!"

Comment

Kempo is more or less a generic term in its own right like that of Karate. It has been answered before, but I will touch on it again. Kempo, means fist law. It is equivalent to the Chinese term Chuan Fa and Korean term Kwon Bup and there are many types of Kempo.

The vast majority of Kempo schools alive today can trace their lineage back to one man, James Mitose. It was he who was a pioneer in bringing Kempo to the states. He had several main students that were the key factor in building the type of Kempo we have today; William K.S. Chow, Thomas Young, Paul Yamguchi, Edward Lowe and Aurther Keawe. I know there are others, but these gentleman, I believe, were his first black belts in the art of Koga Ha Kosho Shorei-Ryu Kempo Jujitsu. It was Chow who went on to teach Parker who in returned developed American Kenpo. From there we get many of the other splinter groups such as Shaolin Kenpo. Over all Kempo is tree with many branches. I hope this confused you more...I mean help you more.
                Jeremy M. Talbott

Originally posted by Phrost
                "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
                Originally posted by D.Murray
                "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
                Originally posted by hangooknamja88
                My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Comment

Ok, some of these post have answered, at least in a basic sort of why, where Kenpo is from.

I am still wondering why so many of these Martial "scams" seem to be associated with it?

Comment

Shaolin Kenpo was developed by different people at different times - Villari, Castro, some European versions...

DavidCC, close, my not quite, American Kempo does make an appearence in Shaolin Kempo's history, but it is not the basis of Shaolin Kempo.

Shaolin Kempo Karate was brought together by Fred Villari...
                    [/quote]

yes this is all true as I know it, but what I meant was: different people developed something they called "Shaolin Kempo" independantly of each other. Castro did not develop from Villari. Doshin did not either - not even from American kenpo at all. There is also another "Shaolin kenpo" in Eurpoe that I believe did not derive from either Villari or Castro.

Jamoke - if you didn't have so many posts, I'd say you were a Troll, with a post like that... but anyway, nobody said it _mattered_, but somebody asked what it _meant_.

I don't know about "so many scams", haven't seen any stats on that... I've seen plenty of "kung-fu" scams too... but maybe kempo is susceptible to that because of the many branches and political bitching, it's hard to find any real authority. I'm not sure I agree with the premise though (that kempo has more scams).

David

Comment

"Alright, we know that Punisher practices a Kempo with WC concepts thrown in, but what does that mean?"

Not that it matters but my instructor's style of kenpo doesn't really take anything from WC. My instructor teaches kenpo and WC, and credits his WC sifu in opening his eyes to different methods of fighting, but that was because the sifu also did MT, groundfighting, western boxing, and a bunch of other stuff to round out its training.

If you really want to know about my style in a nutshell, read the article I wrote, advertised in my signature.

My school is like the "Shaolin" Kenpo schools that use the animals as metaphors for combat, but differs in the sense that you don't fight "Crane" style or "Tiger" style.

In my school's fighting theory, the "animals" are really strategies and don't really have anything to do with hitting someone with a "leopard fist" or a "crane beak".

The animals are just a convienient way for people to remember the theory. And the only reason we still call what we do kenpo, is because my instructor's first art was American Kenpo, and he couldn't think of anything else to call it.

And like some else pointed out, kenpo means "fist law", or more in the context it is used "fighting method". Any martial art can really be called kenpo if it wants.

Comment

so basically y'all are saying ken/kempo is a chuan fa/kung fu wannabe art. remind me of one of those chinese/japanese/american restaurants. "you want sushi with your fried chicken and chop suey?"

Comment

Kempo is a mix of kung fu and karate. Buddhist monks who made pilgrimages back and forth from China and Japan traded ideas and kempo was born.

If you were to describe it, you might say it looks like karate but has faster handstrikes and footwork, or you might say it looks a bit like kung fu, but with linear strikes and karate style stances.

Comment

"The morning glory blooms for an hour. It differs not at heart from the giant pine, which lives for a thousand years."

Comment

Aren't you guys glad to have me around!

KENPO/KEMPO (KEN = Fist HO/PO = law, principle)

The term has been covered to death. But as to what IS Kenpo. Kenpo (like migu said) is a generic term that refers to ANY hard fighting discipline that relies heavily on striking (note I said heavily not solely. Also the terms KOPPO and KENPO were sometimes interchangable) Kenpo was or apart of many jujutsu ryuha. Tenshin Ko Ryu Kenpo is considered a jujutsu ryuha. Akari Ryu Kenpo is listed as jujustu and taught kenjustu,Abojutsu, kusarigamajutsu, and kogusoku.
                              And IF Mitose was telling the truth about Kosho Ryu Kenpo it would be considered a Jujutsu ryuha as well.(Probably why he called his art Kenpo Jujutsu) As for kenpo refering to Chinese influenced arts, most arts that came from China to Japan were primarly hard striking arts therefore refer back to my fist statement. In actuality chinese influence was not as big as many have thought. Most fighters went to china not so much to learn but to prove themselves superior. It's a common theme for many renouned warriors during there musha shugyo (warrior journey).

______
                              Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invinsible Asia) Emporer of Baji!!!
                              THE TRUE FIST OF THE NORTHSTAR!!
                              ______
                              Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
                              -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
                              The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
                              -Daniel Tosh

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X