Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trevor Roberts : UK's hardest man? 2500 fights? BS!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meh.
    It seems pretty Mcdojo, but the guy has to pay the bills for his full time gym somehow.
    Other than that, the place seems reasonable enough.

If the OP has that much of a beef, he could always go along and speak to Trevor himself.
    He does after all say, "We like to meet new people and you are welcome to call in anytime to take a look around and discuss how we can help you!"

Comment

That's fair point on your part, NorthWest. and if I was in the UK, I'd definitely be keen to see what goes on in there. The issue is that this fellow is soliciting people all around the world to buy his tape, and I was wondering whether anyone had seen footage of his techniques, or heard of the man.

I recall an expose on this site about the "Prison Combat System" where an individual had purchased the instructional, and reviewed it on this site for everyone's benefit. I viewed this as a potentially similar case.

Also, on a personal note I'm a skeptic. I don't have a "beef" with anyone or anything, really. I am just interested in the truth. Who knows - maybe he does have some deadly techniques that can be learned in the space of a few hours. If so, great.

Comment

Originally posted by Grashnak
        Anyone care to estimate how many years it would take to earn an 8th dan and two 6th dans?
        Five minutes,3 stamped envelopes and the required cash.

Comment

I've been a lurker here for a while, but as a Sambo practitioner myself I felt the need to finally join the forums for this topic. My instructor is a 4th Dan in Combat Sambo, and has been training in the style directly under a Master level wrestling coach for years now. When I go to the school tomorrow I will get the information to determine the length of time it takes to get to 6th Dan and I will also get the names of the federations we'd have to contact to find out if he's legit.

Comment

"Russian Master of Sport"
            this seemed easy to look up
            wikipedia lists only 10 ppl who have ever gotten honorary titles of this kind
            (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_of_Sports)
            so i was skeptical
            but then i came across this
            http://sfuk.tripod.com/interviews/t_roberts.html

and this
            http://sfuk.tripod.com/events/grapplemania.html

both from the same website, which i wondered how legit it was, and i looked up the interviewer, Carl Fisher, and he seems legit as far as journalism goes...?

take that FWIW, just a quick 5 min search i did.....mainly based on the russian master of sport angle

Comment

Originally posted by Cullion
              I don't know anything about this guy, but I've met 'world champion' kickboxers whose sanctioning body consisted of a circuit of about 3 clubs within 10 miles of each other.
              Translation: world-class LARPing.

Comment

Alright I can settle the doubt about the Sambo qualification.
                It takes in upwards of 25 years to hit 6th Dan in our system, Keyword "OUR" system.
                According to my instructor rankings in Russia are very loosely done and are often adopted in western countries simply because that's what people here like. So there is no easy way to determine how long he trained in order to get that ranking. As for the Master of sport, it turns out wikipedia is a bit off [wouldn't be the first time] as there are thousands of people who have recieved this title, including my instructors instructor who was number 3000 something. In russia master of sport is awarded to anyone for any sport [even badmitten, i spelled that wrong most likely] simply for competing doing well in tournaments. I hope that clears a little bit up, and feel free to PM me with anyother Sambo related questions.

Comment

Even more Bullshido claims - http://www.make-your-martial-art-gro...-training.html

Highlights include-

3 x Lancashire Champion Olympic Freestyle Wrestling

3 x N/Counties Champion Olympic Freestyle Wrestling

2 x British Champion Olympic Freestyle Wrestling

4 x British Champion Jujitsu

1 x European Champion Ju Jitsu

Many Open Ju Jitsu titles in UK and Europe

1 x British Champion Sambo(Russian Wrestling)

Silver medal World Masters Championships 1992

Founder ofTetsu No Otokb Ryu Ju Jitsu
                  -

Not bad for someone who barely has a google presence. No Otokb Ryu FTW!

Comment

I attended a week long residential training camp run by the International Budo Federation, I think it was in 1984/5 it might have been '86. Trevor Roberts was one of the Jujitsu coaches on this camp. I was there for the Judo and Sombo training which was of a high standard for the time, Martin Clark was the head coach - a former UK judo international and world sombo medalist.

Mr Roberts taught some traditional Jjitsu and did some strong man stuff, very entertaining as I recall and he seemed like a good instructor, but I was really there for the Judo and missed most of his sessions. He has been around quite a while and mixed with some people like Martin who are definately the real deal.

Geoff

Comment

As somebody who has recently had the chance to train with trev i can say without any doubt that he is indeed a master of street practical, tried and tested martial arts. I train bjj, box and train mma but i would say that what trev teaches is the most effective style of self defence i have come across. Its a good thing that people are trying to expose fakes within martial arts but this guy is certainly not one of them.

Comment

Hi Wanderer1983...

Thanks for posting. It's always good to have someone with first hand experience come on and "defend" the subject of one of the threads here.

I have no leaning either way on this, but to clarify, I think the original poster who made this thread was more interested in to origins of his web-site claims, as opposed to Mr Roberts practical skills and experience.

Did he mention any of his experience/grades/awards/titles?
                        What sort of self defence training did he teach?
                        How did it differ from anything else you've done?

Cheers
                        Where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence.

Gandhi

Comment

I don't think you guys mix in the same circles as Real Self-Defence guys. If you do a root around. You will see Trevor Roberts is connected to many top self-defence people.
                          Geoff Thompson to name but one.
                          If you don't know who he is, ask Richard Dimitri Senshido founder, I'm sure he'll vouch for Geoff Thompson, and that any man linked to Geoff Thompson is the real deal.

Comment

Not the best idea references Dimitri as a credible source on this site. He's taken quite a bit of flak before, IIRC.

(Richard Dimitri is the guy with...DA SHREDDER!!)

Comment

He looks like stoned bum.

Comment

Originally posted by cbsj4
                                I don't think you guys mix in the same circles as Real Self-Defence guys. If you do a root around. You will see Trevor Roberts is connected to many top self-defence people.
                                Geoff Thompson to name but one.
                                If you don't know who he is, ask Richard Dimitri Senshido founder, I'm sure he'll vouch for Geoff Thompson, and that any man linked to Geoff Thompson is the real deal.

We're well aware of Geoff Thompson, he has made many appearances in the 'Captions of Disaster' thread thanks to gems like this:

Also, congrats on necroing this thread!

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X