Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Full Contact Capoeira (videos, believe it or not)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Full Contact Capoeira (videos, believe it or not)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkBEQ3G42Z8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2q3Z7UQZnBY&NR=1

There are more, just search "Muzenza" on youtube.

Here is their official english site.

http://www.muzenza.com.br/muzenza2007/ing/index.php

Thought it would be nice to add a thread on this group. It was about time someone decided to take Capoeira seriously as a combat art, hope you guys enjoy the videos.
    That civilisation may not sink,
    Its great battle lost,
    Quiet the dog, tether the pony
    To a distant post;
    Our master Caesar is in the tent
    Where the maps are spread,
    His eyes fixed upon nothing,
    A hand under his head.

- W.B. Yeats

Man, those videos are very surreal to me... not really sure what to say other than I am totally puzzled what sort of rules govern this competition. It even seemed as though the rules dictate that when you get KO'd you have to do some kind of flashy twirl as you go down.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Comment

Its great battle lost,
      To a distant post;
      A hand under his head.

- W.B. Yeats

Comment

I think its great that this group is trying to put the "martial" back in this "art", but it would appear, to me, that outside the "contact zone", for want of a better phrase, they use the sort of flashy kicks we all associate with capoeira, but once they engage, they revert back to basic round houses, and (kinda sloppy) palm strikes.

*edit* - Thank you, Oh Almighty WCL, for finding out some bloody difficult to find videos, we worship you with all our heart

Comment

Looks like a lot of fun, breakdance fighting has always seemed like a cool concept to me. I'm just puzzled at how the "sport" actually works out as a sport... if that is indeed what they're going for.
          Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Comment

Good stuff WCL!

I noticed they end up on the ground quite a bit.
            Originally posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
            "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Comment

Thank you, Oh Almighty WCL, for finding out some bloody difficult to find videos, we worship you with all our heart

Comment

Looks cool but still I don't see the MA in it at all. I think Cappoeria has been always more for show than for MA, still you have to be pretty flexible and agile to perform like that. But as a MA I don't see the effectiveness of combat application at all.

Comment

Yeah great find!

BUT

I gotta agree with Kid. what kind of ruleset could maintain that "look" ?

Comment

Nice vid.

Full contact? Hmmm maybe for Capoeria?

I'm sorry when all but the KO kicks are pretty and kept at a certain distance, there are some type of rules.

Comment

Its great battle lost,
                      To a distant post;
                      A hand under his head.

- W.B. Yeats

Comment

It's odd that any fighting style will be based off a predictable rythm, when it's almost always more effective to be unpredictable, and fight off-rythm.

And why the hell do you throw a spin kick when you are 6 feet out of range, other than for show? It just looks like a huge opportunity to get the shit kicked out of you at the tail end of that move. Leg kicks, shoots, or front push kick could pretty much ruin your game right about then.

Comment

Why I will always hate Capoeira:

My club table (Aikido and Judo Club) at the University Sports Club Info Fair is set up next to the Capoeira club. Some girl walks over with her retinue of SuperCuts sluts. "Ohhh, Capoeira...that's the Spanish dancing martial art, cool!" If you want to dance then go dance. If you want to learn to fight go fight. No sense in trying to combine the two (pre-emptive fuck you to everyone who points out Aikido in my style field).

I think we need a Kyokushin vs. Drunken Kung-Fu styled video for Capoeira.

Comment

I have a Capoeira Muzenza DVD. They do present the "martial" side of capoeira but this is far form full contact.
                            ______
                            Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
                            -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
                            The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
                            -Daniel Tosh

Comment

Hey, they do KO each other, and they wear no protective equipment at all.
                              Its great battle lost,
                              To a distant post;
                              A hand under his head.

- W.B. Yeats

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X