Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

San Bruno, CA: Ronin Ju-Jitsu Academy - Any West Coast BJJ guys know Nathan Snukst?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by guardyourgrill
    I know Val Cubales, he's a brown belt under Charles btw, he hasn't got his black yet.
    In an interesting commentary on the Nathan guy, if Val is who I think he is, he doesn't have a high opinion of Carley or the training he received there.

Could be wrong but I know it was a colored belt now under Charles who started under Carley.

Comment

there are tons of kickboxing fights that don't get recorded. I'm sure it's the same with these smaller cage matches. If you are really worried, take the drive up to SF and go to Ralph Gracie. He'll suck every penny out of your wallet, but it will be top notch instruction.
      "Coffee is for Closers" GlenGarry Glenross

Comment

Originally posted by 1bad65
        Even if all of the MMA fights were not recorded, I find it a big coincidence that all 31 kickboxing fights were not either. 44 fights(all wins btw) and no record of any of them.

He may well be legit, but that sure seems odd.
        This is the only red flag I could see. If he claims that all those were pro I would've heard of him at least.

Comment

I can vouch for Nathan. I know this forum is a year old, but I need to put in my two cents.

I have trained under him for almost three years now. I was one of his first students since he moved his academy from the city to San Bruno. I am always skeptical of everyones credentials. The guy is very modest. The stories I have heard about him are always from other people, so I take them as true. I have heard stories of him taking out brown belts when he was a blue belt. I have also heard stories of his MMA bouts and Kick boxing matches from other people. As to other people verifying the exact number of matches, I don't remembering hearing anything regarding his exact record. From people who know Nathan, he is well known for never having been tapped out or defeated by knock out in competition. There is a little bit of a controversy in regards to a "phantom point" which was scored against him in which he lost a decision in a JJ tourney. I can't remember who he fought against. Since that tourney, he decided to play their game and compete for points as well as the win.

I have seen many people come into the academy. Black belts, brown belts. I have yet to see Nathan break a sweat. He has nearly flawless technique. (I have heard him be compared to Yoda) Though he doesn't train much anymore because of various accumulative injuries, his instruction is second to none. I have traveled around to other academies and I can honestly say that the one on one instruction you get at his academy can not be matched anywhere that I have seen. It's like having a Gracie actually pay attention to the individual.

Anyways, if you have any doubts, go and talk to him yourself. Dude's for real. Nice guy too.

Comment

Never heard of him. sounds like the typical fake BJJ nonsense.

I know Oliver Reich (sp?) just got his Black Belt from Ricardo "Rey " Diogo a couple months back. He is in San Bruno as well.

I would recommend Oliver for sure, very technical & he competes.

Comment

Originally posted by thetheenker
              I can vouch for Nathan. I know this forum is a year old, but I need to put in my two cents.

I have trained under him for almost three years now. I was one of his first students since he moved his academy from the city to San Bruno. I am always skeptical of everyones credentials. The guy is very modest. The stories I have heard about him are always from other people, so I take them as true. I have heard stories of him taking out brown belts when he was a blue belt. I have also heard stories of his MMA bouts and Kick boxing matches from other people. As to other people verifying the exact number of matches, I don't remembering hearing anything regarding his exact record. From people who know Nathan, he is well known for never having been tapped out or defeated by knock out in competition. There is a little bit of a controversy in regards to a "phantom point" which was scored against him in which he lost a decision in a JJ tourney. I can't remember who he fought against. Since that tourney, he decided to play their game and compete for points as well as the win.

I have seen many people come into the academy. Black belts, brown belts. I have yet to see Nathan break a sweat. He has nearly flawless technique. (I have heard him be compared to Yoda) Though he doesn't train much anymore because of various accumulative injuries, his instruction is second to none. I have traveled around to other academies and I can honestly say that the one on one instruction you get at his academy can not be matched anywhere that I have seen. It's like having a Gracie actually pay attention to the individual.

Anyways, if you have any doubts, go and talk to him yourself. Dude's for real. Nice guy too.

Ther's nobody here that can vouch for you so there's very little to lend credibility to your comment.

Originally posted by PCH
              Never heard of him. sounds like the typical fake BJJ nonsense.

I know Oliver Reich (sp?) just got his Black Belt from Ricardo "Rey " Diogo a couple months back. He is in San Bruno as well.

I would recommend Oliver for sure, very technical & he competes.
              You know proof goes both ways on this forum?

Comment

In regards to his long ago response, Kelly Paul and Alan hansen are legit. I don't know (nor am interested in finding out) if they know anything about this guy.

I find it highly likely that he is legit since he gave the names of legit people to vouch for him.

Comment

Omega, Sorry..... I am just vouching for the guy. If I get someone to vouch for me....does that mean they need someone to vouch for them?....and so on and so on. Listen, I am not pretending I am some sort of jiu jitsu historian. I am merely a guy that has been doing martial arts in one form or another for roughly six years or so. I am not an expert as you probably are. I just can tell when someone is for real. That is why I am training with the guy. You guys can say the guy is a fraud or whatever....talk about lineage and this and that. All I know is some really good jiu jitsu guys from some very reputable academies say this guy is for real. So, go ahead and talk about how I have no one to vouch for me. You obviously have the time to comment on him.....why don't you try talking to him yourself? I have no idea where you are located, but if you are ever in the area, go into the academy. Check out his class. Ask him some questions. I just came by this blog and I am doing my best to stick up for a guy who I know is for real. You know something else? I like the idea of having a "mom and Pop" jiu jitsu academy. The guy only charges $80.00 a month (buy two months for $120.00 get one month free, unless you're an A - hole) for unlimited training. Look at all the Gracie academies. They charge upwards of $200.00 or more....which is fine. Supply and demand. I get that. But Nathans academy is slowly growing. It's not huge by any stretch. But when people meet the guy, they start training there because the guy is for real. Very technical, very smart and he's not trying to drain everybody's bank account. He is one of those freaky, freaky guys that seems to be a virtual walking encyclopedia of jiu jitsu. It's his academy and he is the one teaching every single class.

Comment

Originally posted by thetheenker
                    Omega, Sorry..... I am just vouching for the guy. If I get someone to vouch for me....does that mean they need someone to vouch for them?....and so on and so on. Listen, I am not pretending I am some sort of jiu jitsu historian. I am merely a guy that has been doing martial arts in one form or another for roughly six years or so. I am not an expert as you probably are. I just can tell when someone is for real. That is why I am training with the guy. You guys can say the guy is a fraud or whatever....talk about lineage and this and that. All I know is some really good jiu jitsu guys from some very reputable academies say this guy is for real. So, go ahead and talk about how I have no one to vouch for me. You obviously have the time to comment on him.....why don't you try talking to him yourself? I have no idea where you are located, but if you are ever in the area, go into the academy. Check out his class. Ask him some questions. I just came by this blog and I am doing my best to stick up for a guy who I know is for real. You know something else? I like the idea of having a "mom and Pop" jiu jitsu academy. The guy only charges $80.00 a month (buy two months for $120.00 get one month free, unless you're an A - hole) for unlimited training. Look at all the Gracie academies. They charge upwards of $200.00 or more....which is fine. Supply and demand. I get that. But Nathans academy is slowly growing. It's not huge by any stretch. But when people meet the guy, they start training there because the guy is for real. Very technical, very smart and he's not trying to drain everybody's bank account. He is one of those freaky, freaky guys that seems to be a virtual walking encyclopedia of jiu jitsu. It's his academy and he is the one teaching every single class.
                    Do you know who I am? Do you care who I am? If I vouch for somebody how do you know it's still credible if you do not know me? It's was simple statement.

Comment

I think you should ask Nathan if any of the people he listed as references, could vouch for being present when he received his brown or black belts(they can't). I think all of them will say 'no comment.'

Comment

I had actually spoken to the guy when he first opened his place, a few years ago. He seemed nice enough, but of course that's not to say whether I know if he's legit or not. I did notice a few Brazilian guys with brown belts rolling around while I was there, but I really can't say who they were or how good they were because it looked like they were just warming up.

What is interesting, though, is that Cahill Judo down the block actually tried to stop Ronin Academy from opening up at their current location. Cahill even took it to San Bruno City Hall claiming it was a zoning violation; Ronin's retort was that their BJJ was different enough than Cahill's Kodokan-style judo and Danzan-ryu jiujitsu to justify their opening in that particular location. I can't for the life of me find the minutes to that San Bruno City Hall hearing, but it was available online and I had found it via Google a couple of years ago.

On a side note for those that don't know, Willy Cahill is actually a really legit judoka who coached the U.S. Olympic team, and I had the honor of getting flung all over the tatami by a blackbelt that used to train under him at one point.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                        X