Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

San Bruno, CA: Ronin Ju-Jitsu Academy - Any West Coast BJJ guys know Nathan Snukst?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

San Bruno, CA: Ronin Ju-Jitsu Academy - Any West Coast BJJ guys know Nathan Snukst?

I was just looking on the net for different BJJ gyms in my area besides the ones I already know as I want to start doing privates with a few of the better instructors in the area aside from training at my regular gym ( which may be changing if I get this new job next week)

That being said I came across this website

http://www.roninjujitsu.com/index.html

Admittedly I'm a noob at Jiu jitsu so nothing really jumped out at me from the site that would make me think the place was anything but a BJJ place ....Well that is until I came to the instructor biography.

http://www.roninjujitsu.com/html/nathan.html

Something about it just makes it hard for me to believe that this guy holds a legit BJJ rank, however I could be wrong and if so I apologize but it has some of the earmarks of BS instructor credentials. I have emailed the school to try and get a handle of who the guy got his Black belt from and where he fought to get his undefeated records.

That being said I just wanted the opinion of some of the more experienced Bullshido BJJ guys on this guy and his site or if any of yall know him and can recommend him all the better.

MississippiRed

Neither FcFighter nor Sherdog appear to have heard of any of his 13 professional fights...

Also, similar thread going on at OTM: http://onthemat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3693

Comment

Originally posted by PointyShinyBurn
      Neither FcFighter nor Sherdog appear to have heard of any of his 13 professional fights...

Also, similar thread going on at OTM: http://onthemat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3693

Thanks for the link. Gumby's post pretty much answers my question. Yeah I couldn't find any record of his MMA fights or his kickboxing fights anywhere not saying they didn't happen but to me they're real suspect.

I haven't received a reply to my email but it's still early evening here so hopefully they'll get back to me today or tomorrow. Looks like another fake BJJ Blackbelt / undefeated MMA fighter running around (not to say he's not skilled however) seems like this is going to become a recurring theme with the popularity of BJJ and MMA growing in leaps and bounds.

MississippiRed

Comment

I'll shoot this guy an email and see what he says...

Comment

Red flag #1: Spells Jiu Ju.
          Red flag #2: Claims pro MMA record but not listed on sherdog or subfighter.
          Red flag #3: History with no mention of lineage, but plenty about feudal japan

A phone call asking who he recieved his BJJ BB would probably be the best thing to do for this.

Comment

for the record:
            Nathan Snukst

Nathan was originally trained by his mother in ju-jitsu starting at a very young age. He has trained in other martial art styles throughout his life but has always returned to ju-jitsu. He was recruited in his teens by the Gracie family to train and compete in jiu-jitsu. This eventually led him to begin instructing other students beginning in 1995. The students he has taught vary in professions and experiences, ranging from military soldiers to professional fighters to secretaries and nurses.

Ronin Ju-Jitsu was established in July 1999 when he decided to part from the Gracies and establish his own academy. Nathan has also trained with several great fighters and instructors in mixed martial arts and other forms of martial arts training.

Nathan also has an extensive career as a fighter. His professional Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) record stands at 13-0 and has fought hundreds of challenge matches representing ju-jitsu. He holds black belts in Brazilian jiu-jitsu, Aikido, Judo, and Kendo and has an amateur record of 31-0 in kickboxing.

Comment

Nathan's reply over at OTM:
              Originally posted by Nathan Snukst
              This is Nathan. I would like to reply to the questions about my
              ability and lineage and include names of people to verify that you
              can contact.

I received my black belt from Claudio Medeiros Sr., a long-time
              family friend, in 2000. Before that I trained and instructed at
              Carley Gracie's academy in San Francisco. I also trained with many
              other Gracie factions including top students from Carlson Gracie's
              school. I was closely tied with the Gracie family, so much so, I
              actually had to testify in a court trial between Gracie family
              members (1997-1998). This led to a falling out with some of the
              Gracies. Hence when I opened up my own academy in 1999, I
              specifically chose the name Ronin Ju-Jitsu (not jiu-jitsu) because
              technically I am still under contract with the Gracies and cannot
              use the word jiu-jitsu.

Below is a list of local jiu-jitsu folks that can vouch for my
              ability and/or rank:
              1) Rob and Cathy Henderson (Ralph Gracie)
              2) Kelly Paul (Brown belt under Ralph Gracie)
              3) Soloman Rizzo (Black belt under Carlson Gracie)
              4) Harry Villegas (Brown belt under Clovis Silva)
              5) Val Cubales (Black belt under Charles Gracie)
              6) Alan Hanson (Black belt under Charles Gracie)
              7) Jacqueline Andrade (Black belt under Andre Pederneiras)

Regarding my MMA record; it is 13-0. All of the events took place
              from 1995-1999 and were not the "California-sanction/licensed
              events" that take place today. Some of the events included were:
              Battle of the Masters (Illinois); Battle of the Bay (Illinois,
              Iowa); Ishidokan (Wisconsin). I doubt any of these would be listed
              on sherdog since these were smaller venues and happened before the
              internet explosion. I even had the priviledge of training with Don
              Geddis (founder of bjj.org) while training at Carley's. All of
              these fights took place in the Midwest, not California. I am from
              Chicago. I never claimed to be a UFC contender or Mundial champion
              and I hope that the image that I am projecting is not one that is
              self-centered or being a bad-ass.

I always tell any new student who wants to train with me that a) I
              don't take students who also train at other local BJJ academies. I
              want to maintain a good relationship with the other academies and
              have a policy not to train students who are currently at other
              local academies, this makes for an awkward situtation politically,
              esp. when at tournaments. b) If a new student is concerned with
              lineage or needing to have local talent around, I tell them that they
              should train at any one of the local Gracie academies. I trained
              with them too when I was starting!

I wouldn't have been able to pretend to be a black belt for this
              long if I didn't have the technique, ability, and discipline to
              train students for the past 7 years. I could have just opened up
              an MMA school and not worn a belt at all. I hope this answers
              everyone's questions and suspicions about my lineage, rank, and
              ability.

Feel free to speak to me directly if you have any other questions.
              You can reach me at my academy on the phone or in person.

Humbly yours,
              Nathan

Comment

Never heard of him AND he sounds "fishy".

Comment

Does anyone know any of these seven people? It'd be nice if someone went through the trouble of asking them if they know a Nathan Snukst.

Comment

Originally posted by PointyShinyBurn
                    Nathan's reply over at OTM:
                    Well in his defense he has a point. None of my fights got recorded before 99'. A lot of smaller promotions had this problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnbob
                      Does anyone know any of these seven people? It'd be nice if someone went through the trouble of asking them if they know a Nathan Snukst.

My google skills are currently sucking. One thing that stuck out to me was # 3, the Carlson Gracie black belt. There should be a listing made by Carlson's widow and some of his students of all his black belts. See if that name is on there. If so, then it's just another name on the list to attempt to contact. If not, then it could be a potential red flag.

Comment

He's rated through Grapplers.com, not sure if it means much though.

http://www.grapplers.com/zone/search.cfm?action=search

Theres an Elizabeth Snukst with a US Open female masters fight record, listed as a BJJ Blue. Through Ronin Academy in 2006. Lost first round of the super featherweight but it's a verifiable record.

http://www.claudiofrancabjj.com/USOp...-06%2010pm.pdf

Just what I could turn up from a quick googling.
                        I do not aspire to be great, or even good, I hope to suck a little less then last class.

Comment

New here but I saw another thread on Nathan on OTM and thought I should share my info.

I know Val Cubales, he's a brown belt under Charles btw, he hasn't got his black yet. He said he trained with Nathan when they were both at Carley's. He remembers him being a purple but didn't know where he got his Brown or Black from. He did say he was skilled and was a nice guy, but wasn't sure who promoted him after purple.

Also, does anyone know who Claudio Medeiros Sr is?

Comment

his response certainly sounds legit to me. if you want to know for sure, ask over here:

http://www.nhbgear.com/forum/index.php?board=2.0

Comment

Even if all of the MMA fights were not recorded, I find it a big coincidence that all 31 kickboxing fights were not either. 44 fights(all wins btw) and no record of any of them.

He may well be legit, but that sure seems odd.
                              "Through the centuries, the Jews have endured terrible persecution, and you know that. We've all read it, studied it. They've gone through a lot. And those seeking their destruction, we will seek their destruction." -President Donald Trump, spewing his Nazi, racist, anti-Semitism.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X