Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kansas: Kuk Sool Won?

http://www.lawrenceks.net/index.cfm?

There is this Kuk Sool Won dojo in my town that advertizes everywhere. It looks like the bastard lovechild of Kung Fu and TKD. Does anyone know anything about Kuk Sool Won? I am tempeted to go there and make a jackass of myself. Bullshido?

Unfortunately the search function isn't friendly with three letter words but here's an article on KSW.
    http://www.bullshido.com/articles/ku...rtial-art.html
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

https://www.instagram.com/bullshido/

Comment

Hey thanks. I tried the search function, but like you said the spelling got me nothing.

Comment

Dear Dontwalk,

I must at least tell you my bias up front. I spent 7 years in kuk sool. I was almost a 2nd degree when I left. I'll be blunt: I think Kuksool is a McDojo par excellence. Dead training methods, certification is valued above skill, they don't promote sparring, the weapons are sucky in that they do not live spar, black belt ranks are expensive (1st degree promotion fee is $350.00).

The grandmaster is sucked up to. He demonstrates the same schlocky techniques every year--two "masters" grab his wrists, he makes little hand circle which results in the two "masters" then flipping themselves thru the air and onto the mat.

There are too many versions of so-called kuk sool history. The founders of kuk sool studied hapkido, then lied about it. Greed permeates the organization as a whole in my opinion.

Do not waste your time! Nor your money. Your time & $$ would be better spent finding a school that uses active resistance, effective and realistic methods and less emphasis on "tradition and ettiquette" whatever those things are.

If you want to see some of my rants about kuk sool, PM me and I'll send you some links.
        I rant well.
        SEANBABY:
        "The seventh law of thermodynamics is that every time a fat person gets near a trapdoor, they fall in. Itís the closest thing we have to scientific proof of God."

Comment

Originally posted by Jkdbuck76
          If you want to see some of my rants about kuk sool, PM me and I'll send you some links.
          I rant well.
          I'd like to see those rants. I have been studying Kuk Sool for about 9 months.

The KSW here is the only school that has been open consistently.

Unfortunately, it seems that I cannot PM :icon_cry:

Comment

hey averykess, since you r in kuk sool won, what rank r u?

Comment

There are a few good threads on KSW in the Korean Martial Arts style forum.

Comment

Originally posted by boondock lee
                hey averykess, since you r in kuk sool won, what rank r u?
                Blue Belt. I should test for red stripe next month.

Comment

Wow man, Kuk Sool has been beaten to death on this forum..I dident even know it existed a month ago, now I'm here and I'm already tired of hearing about it.
                  Use the search function people.

..that and "Fans are gay"

Comment

I actually think Kuk Sool Won is kind of cool from the perspective of performance martial arts. Flashy uniforms, all kinds of flying kicks, you get to play with all sorts of exotic weaponry.... not quite as cool as wushu, but still pretty good.
                    The fool thinks himself immortal,
                    If he hold back from battle;
                    But old age will grant him no truce,
                    Even if spears spare him.

Comment

Yeah but if you want that go be a cheerleader. Seriously. Some of those flips they do are absolutely ridiculous, and make Wushu dudes look like pansies.

Originally posted by RegularJoe
                      Wow man, Kuk Sool has been beaten to death on this forum..I dident even know it existed a month ago, now I'm here and I'm already tired of hearing about it.
                      Use the search function people.
                      The search function doesn't take kindly to 3-letter words.

It also happens to be a fascinating martial art to study because it's so damn weird. Hell, I wanna take up KSW just for the hell of experiencing it.

Comment

I'd probably walk out after some cocksucker told me I had to bow to a picture of their still living "grandmaster".

Seriously, revering someone who's dead is one thing (a la Aikido. Do they even go as far as bowing to his picture though?), but that is utterly fucking ridiculous.

Comment

Seems like KSW isn't that revered around here. Can someone post the links to previous threads here, in one place? I'd be interested to see them, as there is a club where I work, and they're not too happy for me to watch, and dodge questions when I have any. The owner once even tried to accuse me of stealing prospective students when I gave out fliers detailing ALL martial arts at the centre to anyone who enquired about their class.

Comment

Originally posted by Lu Tze
                            I'd probably walk out after some cocksucker told me I had to bow to a picture of their still living "grandmaster".

Seriously, revering someone who's dead is one thing (a la Aikido. Do they even go as far as bowing to his picture though?), but that is utterly fucking ridiculous.
                            This seems like more of a person problem to me. You must not be very open or understanding of traditions from other parts of the world. They bow to eachother (like, two people facing eachother) in many parts of the world.

Comment

I used to own a Kuk Sool Won school - where do I start? I was already in American Karate for a number of years, and thought I wanted to start anew in a "Traditional Style." I jumped in head first and took as gospel all they told me. Five years was all I could take. "KukSaNim" as he calls himself (Suh In Hyuk- the "Grandmaster") is a liar and a total scam artist.

Kuk Sool Won is nothing more than Hapkido and a few forms that he altered from Hung Gar Kung Fu forms he learned from some one before he came to America. If you don't believe me - check it out for yourself. I was told this by people that knew him in Korea. Add a few weapons forms he says are "hundreds of years old'" - he made them up - that makes him how old?!

I went on a couple of their trips to Korea and what I found there did not match all the B.S. I was told by him and his "Masters" of how big and authentic Kuk Sool Won is. In Korea there was only 1 little school in Pusan run by his brother In Sun Suh who hates him and is like a Korean mafioso himself. A total dirt bag. One night there I had to break up a fight between a drunk In Sun Suh in a fight he picked with some chubby older Korean man. "Chief Master" was on the bottom - and he wasn't winning.

In fact, if they are the "Official" martial art of Korea," why aren't there any Koreans in the entire organization other than his sons, a couple of his brothers, and one married into his family? If I'm not mistaken, all of his sons have different mothers. He once came onto a mother from my martial arts school when they were alone and she fought him off. I wonder how his then wife would have reacted to that if I had told her.

If you are a follower and need someone to follow and worship then Kuk Sool Won is for you. It is nothing more than a cult - bowing to his picture before and after every class, required devotion to him and his senior followers, & letting him fleece you of your $.

Since my departure from Kuk Sool Won, I've run into a lot of ex-KukSoolWonners who all have their own stories to tell - many way more interesting than mine.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X