Is BJJ becoming Judo ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is BJJ becoming Judo ?

Doesn't BJJ run the risk of "imitating" Judo in the sense of becoming a very popular sport, as tournaments are popping up everywhere, and losing its combat effectiveness in the long run ?

I mean, people will focus on competition and lose the combat perspective.

In Brazil, many techniques permitted years ago are now illegal in tournaments because they are very dangerous, such as spinal locks, reverse neck crank, stomach arm lock (I think it's called waki-gatame), and others ...

Nope.

http://www.igjjf.com

The open tournaments and invitationals allow alot of moves and submissions.

==================
    "When we go to the ground, you are in my world. The ground is the ocean, I am the shark, and most people don't even know how to swim." RCJ Machado
    Originally posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Comment

Unfortunately, it seems to be going down that path.

I have a feeling that IGJJF is going to be an exception rather than the rule.

Much the same way as the judo schools that concentrate on ground work and applications outside the rules of sports judo. They exist, but they are much less common than the conventional ones.
      You say what about my rice?

Comment

Its a deffinate possibility. IMHO it always had some more sport oriented things as opposed to "real combat", but yeah, it could easily shift even closer to Judo.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
        X