Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reality Defense in Phoenix, AZ a McDojo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Embedded for easy viewing and this thing needs to be viewed.
    WATCH IT!

Spoiler:

The level of stupid is literally awe inspiring
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

"Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past."
    ---Jean-Paul Sartre

Comment

Originally posted by Goldust View Post
      The still appear to be the same old Reality Defense that I remember so well.

For anyone wondering why I revived this thread after the better part of four years is because it took that long for them to start posting any videos. The guy who wanted to fight Troy's senior guy Jeff e-mailed me and brought them up and I saw that they've been putting up videos on a fairly consistent basis. If you look through some of the old threads on them that I was active on there was a certain amount of people questioning that maybe I was misrepresenting what I saw and knew about them, maybe they really weren't all that bad and that maybe I was just being a dick about the whole thing. I always told people "If you don't believe me then feel free to stop in there yourself and form your own opinion.". When I saw their videos it was all that I remembered and then some.

And on that note here's a sampling of the "Ferocious Five", the five techniques that RDT promises will "work against any grappler to end the confrontation immediately".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0-k3BF2iiI

I've actually got an amusing back story to the whole "challenge fight" that a friend of mine wanted to have against Troy's senior guy that unfortunately never came off that I've never posted.
      Ok first I just need to embed that.

Ok that is some of the worst crappling I have ever seen. First they claim that the actual proven effective BJJ technique of trap and roll won't work. Then they come up with some weird thing that you can break someone's posture and hold them like that while they are in mount. Good luck with that.

I've had thumbs stuffed in my eye in wrestling matches and by over enthusiatic KM guys trying BJJ out. It really doesn't work as well as these folks claim to "end the fight immediately". I've been bitten too, that also isn't overly successful. If you throw striking into the mix and having mount, I really don't see that going well for you unless you have some serious grappling that are just adding some dirty tricks to.
      Last edited by Michael Tzadok; 2/16/2019 2:50pm, .
      Don't rely on theory if your life is at stake.

"But now that you've anointed him as truthsayer, you'll be complicit with what happens when the next Jew comes here and is lambasted by an ultrasecular Rabbi" -W.Rabbit/Pship/Emily Dickinson/Earth Dragon/Self Proclaimed Editor Extraordinaire

Comment

not in mabs please...well I mean never mind lets just try to keep it civil.
        *edit*
        I will admit it is hard to watch the video without... ... just try to keep it civil and on topic without to many reactionary memes and stuff.
        That video killed memes for me.
        I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
        BILL HICKS,
        1961-1994

"Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past."
        ---Jean-Paul Sartre

Comment

Originally posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
          not in mabs please...well I mean never mind lets just try to keep it civil.
          *edit*
          I will admit it is hard to watch the video without... ... just try to keep it civil and on topic without to many reactionary memes and stuff.
          That video killed memes for me.
          Yes, that was an accidental. I forgot to copy the new link, and accidentally posted the last link I had copied... Which is the reason for the almost immediate edit.

"But now that you've anointed him as truthsayer, you'll be complicit with what happens when the next Jew comes here and is lambasted by an ultrasecular Rabbi" -W.Rabbit/Pship/Emily Dickinson/Earth Dragon/Self Proclaimed Editor Extraordinaire

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Tzadok View Post
            Yes, that was an accidental. I forgot to copy the new link, and accidentally posted the last link I had copied... Which is the reason for the almost immediate edit.
            But man did it fit...
            BILL HICKS,
            1961-1994

---Jean-Paul Sartre

Comment

The highlight reel at the beginning is great. At one point a guy in a blue shirt demonstrates their "Matrix" style idea of defense against punches. They apparently think that you can stand directly in front of even a skilled boxer and effortlessly deflect or block all of their punches all without moving your head too! It appears that he has some theory that if you are in constant motion as you see in boxing, always moving your head, that this is a bad thing. It had something to do with if you are constantly moving your “camera” (your head/eyes) and the opponent is in constant motion as well that it will be harder to hit the target than if you don’t move your head (or something to that effect). That probably explains why their head movement is nonexistent and their footwork and movement appears to be largely linear.

If you watch in slow motion you can see that the "attacker" is simply slapping the air a good six inches away from the guy defending who is doing the whole arm waving blocking/deflecting thing that they teach. Then right after that a guy in black defends a right haymaker by doing...something, I don't know what exactly. Some kind of pirouette that I hope that he just improvised on the spot and that isn't something that is actually taught as a valid defensive technique.

Comment

But man did it fit...
                I foresee myself starting a YMAS thread on this topic. Especially as I have perused some more of their videos. Though, as this is still MABS serious, I will just give brief descriptors of the content:

First they teach firearms.

I would suggest any interested party look up the NRA's various qualifications(both in accuracy and speed) for their Defensive Handgun program. I'll just say that these demos are a little slow by NRA standards. Not to worry though, firearms are overrated, you should just go to thumb in the eye(I really wish this were a joke)

This one... I don't really know what to say about this one, other than it has to be the result of not training live

It doesn't really get much better with this one. Apparently they know more about knife fighting than FMA(full disclosure I have been attacked and cut by knives in security work, never had wounds like they say are common and easily inflicted)

Comment

Lastly this one. Now, I've worked as a Shochet(Jewish ritual slaughterer) and as a butcher, learning to cut even unresisting meat with very sharp knives is a skill. Hacking won't get it done(unless you are using a cleaver). You could probably lay someone open like that with a schochet knife by hacking, but it is half a cleaver, and it is quite literally sharper than a razor.

Comment

Oh please sir. Create said thread. We can get all the silly out of our system there and then bring back some solid critiques and reviews.

Originally posted by Michael Tzadok View Post
                    I foresee myself starting a YMAS thread on this topic. Especially as I have perused some more of their videos. Though, as this is still MABS serious, I will just give brief descriptors of the content:

First they teach firearms.

I would suggest any interested party look up the NRA's various qualifications(both in accuracy and speed) for their Defensive Handgun program. I'll just say that these demos are a little slow by NRA standards. Not to worry though, firearms are overrated, you should just go to thumb in the eye(I really wish this were a joke)

This one... I don't really know what to say about this one, other than it has to be the result of not training live

It doesn't really get much better with this one. Apparently they know more about knife fighting than FMA(full disclosure I have been attacked and cut by knives in security work, never had wounds like they say are common and easily inflicted)
                    BILL HICKS,
                    1961-1994

---Jean-Paul Sartre

Comment

Oh please sir. Create said thread. We can get all the silly out of our system there and then bring back some solid critiques and reviews.
                      Because you asked so nicely:
                      https://www.bullshido.net/forums/sho...67#post3018467

Comment

Does that large man ever stop talking and actually show anything?

I thought I was going to see a video on weapons retention.

All I have to say is weapons retention here's to protect access to your firearm.
                        Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Comment

Many of the videos on the RDT facebook page aren't on their youtube channel. I'm finding that the facebook videos are a goldmine of entertainment.

Exhibit A

https://www.facebook.com/RealityDefe...3627644463377/

Here we have what they describe as two of their best (or is it worst?). Poor balance and footwork, over extending, not really trying to make any kind of contact as all of the strikes are well short of the mark. Keep in mind that the guy in the yellow shorts, Jeff, is Troy's senior student no less. A couple of times he actually tries to move his head to avoid strikes which is a bit of a surprise since this isn't something that I thought that they emphasized but unfortunately he looks like someone awkwardly trying to do a bad impression of former middleweight title holder James Toney. For some real laughs watch the video and just focus on what they're doing from the waist down to really see what I mean about the footwork.

Exhibit B

https://www.facebook.com/RealityDefe...3703799770360/

This is a good example of what I like to refer to as their "Matrix" style of defense where they think that they can effortless parry and block any and all types of strikes coming at them. When they're in the middle of the room there is another good example of poor footwork and balance as the guy in the black shirt turns and walks away which is a bad habit to get into even if, as in this case, he only appears to do it when the opponent is out of range. If the other guy was to simply rush him when he does this he would literally have no way to defend it.

The highlight comes at the end where they replay the sequence of strikes and parries in slow motion which only makes it look that much worse. At full speed I could see someone who doesn't really know what they're looking at maybe being impressed by what they are showing. In slow motion you can clearly see that every incoming strike is well short or wide of the mark and then the guy with his back against the wall counters with some little tippy tap counter that's supposed to be impressive. I understand that Troy's trying to demonstrate some of the principles of what he teaches here so I wouldn't necessarily expect that the attacker is going to go 100% and legitimately try to take the other guys head off. But when you aren't even coming anywhere close to the actual target, even in sparring, it starts to look dangerously close to some of the Kung Fu and Kenpo clips that I've seen.

Comment

I took a free class at RDT back in the summer (at Troy's insistence actually) and would like to give a run down but I'm not sure if I should post it here or the "RDT crapposting thread, because we all need the outlet" over in the YMAS section. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Comment

Post it here.

Comment

Part 1: Prelude

So, I e-mailed Troy and told him that I disagreed with his "Dismantling Boxing" videos where he basically just dismissed Boxing, appeared to show open disdain for it actually, and essentially presented the position that it's all but worthless. I also commented that in some of his videos his guys were doing a sort of “Matrix” looking defense for lack of a better description where they try to pick off and defend strikes and that I was somewhat skeptical that this could consistently prove effective against reasonably skilled opposition. I tried to be reasonable and wasn't just like "Your stuff sucks and doesn't work" and tried to present legitimate criticism.

Troy's response was: "our defense is as effective as I claim. If you were local, I would invite you in and teach you the defense and demonstrate it to/for you. And yes, our strikes are superior to boxing. As stated above you cannot argue with success. The question that needs to be asked is "is the method of punching in boxing the best method of punching?" It is not..."

My response was as follows: "I'm not sure how you're qualifying "success" here. Being able to effortlessly defend strikes in drills with training partners is one thing, being able to pull off the same thing with an equal level of proficiency against a non-compliant person would be something more tangible. Being able to pull off the same thing with an equal level of proficiency against someone who was a halfway competent Boxer, Kickboxer or mma fighter (I'm not talking anywhere near pro level here) would go a long way towards silencing any skeptics regarding the superiority of RDT as a superior method of defense and striking."

Troy response: "Well, I would not demo the strikes I would teach you how we strike and you can decide for yourself. If you are open to it, I would be happy to offer you, several classes, that would allow you to learn the way we defend against people trying to hit you. I have had many people come in with extensive boxing backgrounds and without exception, after they get past the newness about 6 sessions, they state that standing and punching the way they did when they came in feels strange. I have always had and always will have an open-door policy for people from other styles to come in and train. At whatever level of intensity, they want. I get more than just an impression that I make these claims without ever going toe to toe with other fighters. Everything I teach has to work against a non-compliant opponent, at real combat speed. Otherwise, why bother.

Please consider my offer. I love opportunities to showcase Reality Defense Training. If you know someone that may be interested in joining you please bring them. I will offer you 10 sessions (free of charge), that would plenty of time to run you through our method of standup. All I ask is you complete the 10 sessions. Hope to hear from you."

I told him that his offer was extraordinarily generous and that I had a couple of guys that might be interested and that I would get back to him on it. The offer was actually pretty generous, the guy could be spending this time with people who are actually paying him instead of trying to convince guys who he knows coming in are skeptical and likely won't stick around. Since he stated: "I have always had and always will have an open-door policy for people from other styles to come in and train. At whatever level of intensity, they want. I get more than just an impression that I make these claims without ever going toe to toe with other fighters." It at least sounded as if they were open to the idea of sparring but my concern was that we would have to sit through multiple classes of Troy teaching us his stuff before we could get to that point.

I tried to give him an out to say "We feel RDT is superior to Boxing for self-defense since in Boxing you're wearing gloves and are training and competing under a specific and specialized ruleset. But getting into a ring with a Boxer and trying to beat them at what they specifically train for isn't what we do or would be expected to excel at." But no, instead he doubling down and insisted that because RDT is so far superior to anything in existence that they could stand right in front of Boxers, kickboxers, and mma fighters and beat them at their own game. And not only that but that they could stand right in front of them and effortlessly parry and block any and all strikes too. (Oh, and they can't be taken down and grappling doesn't work against them either-Ferocious Five).

But the problem is when you watch their videos in slow motion you can see that every strike is a good six inches to a foot short or wide of the mark. If I didn't know any better, I'd say that they were intentionally aiming for each other’s forearms and gloves so that they can't possibly fail to "defend" (or maybe they're doing this unintentionally and just don't realize it). Every "sparring" clip looks the same and is virtually devoid of anything resembling intensity or real contact. Very likely this is the distillation of the very best footage that they have available and I’ve yet to see anything resembling serious full contact sparring and if such footage existed, I’m sure that he would have posted it at some point. And this is the stuff that's supposed to be so far superior to Boxing that Boxing is a joke in comparison? Am I crazy here because I'm just not seeing it? I figured that I would find out soon enough.

In his videos Troy comes off with a bit of a superior attitude, cantankerous and generally dismissive of anything not RDT so I was surprised at how relatively low key his responses were as he generally blows up online when anyone even dares question him on anything RDT related as you saw when he posted few times here. He generally immediately deletes any questions regarding his stuff, even fairly benign critiques which made the offer to come by even more surprising.

Comment

Working...
                                X