Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stav fighting from the Vikings. What do you think about these guys?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stav fighting from the Vikings. What do you think about these guys?

Folks, I've made some dumb posts in the past, but I wanted to show you these guys, I've done some online research on them in the past.
    http://www.stavinternational.org/indexflash.html

Their "art" is called stav, the word stav is norwegian for stick, he claims it's been handed down through his family since the times of the vikings.

From what I've been told there weapon techniques resemble Japanese Kenjutsu,

Well from what research I've done they smell bogus, first they say they teach viking martial arts, and yet they don't seem to ivolve Glima(wrestling which has been preserved in Iceland uptil now, and is there national sport.) second off, none of there stuff it seems to involve a round shield, which was the most common form of protection used on among the vikings

and this guy says he's an earl of some sort

so hey like I said these guys like bullshido to me,

any thoughts?
    Last edited by spathophile; 4/01/2007 1:46am, .

I seem to recall an old Bullshido thread on this, have you tried the search function?..... I mean VIKINGS! FUCK YEAH!

Ask them if they play metal (specifically Viking metal) while training. If yes, enroll IMMEDIATELY!

Comment

You're much better off with these guys http://www.ulfhednir.dk/uk/kamp_freestyle.html

Close as we're going to get

Plus, they're Danish!
      What am I?:

I am ignorant, thieving, lying, hypocrital, violent and thoroughly self obssessed. I steal from others to make myself look better, only to make the item or information worse.

I go on and on and ON about how brave and strong and brilliant and wealthy I am, but in the end I'm all mouth and no trousers.

That's right children, I'm your average AMERICUNT! and I exemplify AMERICA!:911flag:

:occasion1

JohnnyCache's "retort" proving how much he knows about medicine and geography and First World countries:
      http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...=78188&page=22

Yes, through persistent lack of work and the cultivation of ignorance, he is a true American.

Comment

Tak, min bruder
        What am I?:

I am ignorant, thieving, lying, hypocrital, violent and thoroughly self obssessed. I steal from others to make myself look better, only to make the item or information worse.

I go on and on and ON about how brave and strong and brilliant and wealthy I am, but in the end I'm all mouth and no trousers.

That's right children, I'm your average AMERICUNT! and I exemplify AMERICA!:911flag:

JohnnyCache's "retort" proving how much he knows about medicine and geography and First World countries:

Yes, through persistent lack of work and the cultivation of ignorance, he is a true American.

Comment

IIRC, Stav was thoroughly discussed from a very skeptical POV on the "Western Arts" YahooGroup email list a few years back. The consensus was "no comment on the fighting, but we don't buy the lineage/history claims".
          Check out the Bullshido.net Western Martial Arts Forum for all things Western, martial and arty.

Bartitsu: the Gentlemanly Art of Self Defence (est. 1899)

Comment

Originally posted by Question!
            I seem to recall an old Bullshido thread on this, have you tried the search function?..... I mean VIKINGS! FUCK YEAH!

Ask them if they play metal (specifically Viking metal) while training. If yes, enroll IMMEDIATELY!
            I posted a thread about this last year. It's shite. I got the books (I had spare cash at the time) and joined the mailing list.

Stav is filled with racists who think that a runic pretzel meditation and some bad unarmed comabt makes one a viking (when does one Vike these days?)

Slan

Dr Gar Gar

Comment

Originally posted by spathophile
              Folks, I've made some dumb posts in the past, but I wanted to show you these guys, I've done some online research on them in the past.
              http://www.stavinternational.org/indexflash.html

Their "art" is called stav, the word stav is norwegian for stick, he claims it's been handed down through his family since the times of the vikings.

From what I've been told there weapon techniques resemble Japanese Kenjutsu,

Well from what research I've done they smell bogus, first they say they teach viking martial arts, and yet they don't seem to ivolve Glima(wrestling which has been preserved in Iceland uptil now, and is there national sport.) second off, none of there stuff it seems to involve a round shield, which was the most common form of protection used on among the vikings

and this guy says he's an earl of some sort

so hey like I said these guys like bullshido to me,

any thoughts?

It IS bogus.

Asatruar ( heathens (neopagans with a germanic slant)) consider Stav practioners to be racists, and there is a large % of the members (or so the mailing list showed me) who are elitists. They attacked me as a LARPer because I am a "neopgan druid" (we apparently are make beleive while they are not).

Similarly, I am trained in Combatives (back off guys the time to debate this is in another thread). The "unarmed" combat skills are bad BAD BAD adaptions of eastern arts (the current "grandmaster" of the style learned these in Japan. The ARMED section (and Stav says it is all about the armed and not so much unarmed) had to be revamped early last year by an SCA guy (he ran the US branch, then got chased out by the hard core ludites that call stav home). What does that tell you about it? SCA? I'm ARMA, and still think what I learn is roleplay, but compared to SCA I'm "legit". Oh and they use the "long sword" (two-hander) as the sword of choice, not a viking style, also a small weighted hammer on a chain/rope... sigh

Stav is deluded, but also mostly harmless. No one after reading a book uh pamphlet actually (not enough there to make a book) on it would take it seriously as a martial art, or self defence form. However bullshido it is! There are some surving "viking' fighting arts (belt wrestling for one) and manuals on how to use a sword. If one wants to fight like a "viking" one could learn from better sources than this.

Slan

Dr Gar Gar

Comment

If Stav is funny, Stavit was hilarious ...

About eight years ago there was a breakaway group from Stav in the UK, who decided to call their martial art "Stavit". They set up a website promoting themselves as a hardcore neo-Viking security team and were laughed off the Internet within a month or so.
                Check out the Bullshido.net Western Martial Arts Forum for all things Western, martial and arty.

Bartitsu: the Gentlemanly Art of Self Defence (est. 1899)

Comment

Stav is baloney. Its sword techniques are from kenjutsu.

If you want to be a modern Viking, apply to join a Biker Gang.
                  "You know what I like about you, William? You like guns AND meditation."

Comment

Originally posted by roly
                    but people want to be ancient vikings,

but kinda give up and role play because its probably actually very hard work to swing around a heavy sword
                    Viking swords were very good steel

"The halt can ride
                    The handless herd
                    The deaf can fight with spirit
                    A blind man is better than a corpse on a pyre
                    A corpse is no good to anyone"

-Late Viking Era poet
                    What am I?:

Comment

You'd be better off studying Shinto Muso Ryu Jo-jutsu and some form of Aiki-Jutsu which are the founders styles.

Stav is a crock of shit.
                      More human than human is our motto.

Comment

Stav has been laughed at for a few years on swedish MA-forums, though unfortunately there's a lot of "politeness" infecting those forums. Basically the current "Grandmaster" claims it's been handed down within his family since the eleventh century, and the techniques are based around the Futhark (viking runes). There's a lot of mumbo-jumbo and talk of energies that the bersarks are supposed to have channeled.

A few things though...the "grandmaster" lived in japan for a while, at least long enough to marry a japanese woman. The movements of Stav are curiously similar to japanese weapon-arts, and he didn't reveal the style until he'd lived in japan...so it's all FAKE!!!!

Comment

Actually, the stav people own up to its kendo roots. THe story is that the sword arts were lost, only the weird-ass rune yoga stuff was perserved, and the founder "re-created" the sword work off of a JMA foundation.

THe lack of sparring would drive a Real Viking nuts.
                          "You know what I like about you, William? You like guns AND meditation."

Comment

So the story's changed then. There was an article on the grandmaster in a swedish MA-magazine some years back (I'll see if I can find it) in which he explained about Stav. He told it's "history" as gospel truth.

Doesn't matter though, it still sucks. Stav= Viking LARP

Comment

crikey this is hilarious...a norse type of tai chi. yoga..bull. .. apparently hauking/hawking will come in handy..:qright4: seems like they dont know the meaning of the norse words(gamalnorsk/islandsk they use..

waltkinson lineage...very norse yeah :cry:

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X