Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Viani's Martial Arts in Canada a mcdojo?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Viani's Martial Arts in Canada a mcdojo?

website says its under construction but doesn't look good... http://www.vianis.ca/
    school is part of CMAF (Canadian Martial Arts Federation) http://www.cmaf.ca

The head instructors credentials...
    6th Dan Black Belt
    Taekwondo (CMAF/United Jidokwan)
    5th Dan Black Belt
    (CMA-MMA/Taekwondo Jidokwan-Korea/Taekwondo Kukkiwon)

4th Degree Black Belt
    Tukkong Mu Sool - Special Forces Martial Arts
    (Korea Teuk-Gong Moo Sul Association)

They teach the Jhoon Rhee forms but apparently have previously taught the Taegeuk forms.

They teach taekwondo, teuk-gong moo sul (to students in the leadership program and are planning a seperate class for it, they have a seperate belt and test for it already) and various weapons.

any opinions?

I think the Executive Warrior program looks good.

Theme added to ipod.

Comment

+ SD aspect ranked lowest out of five training benefits
      - Introductory offer with "official uniform included" - wtf?
      - "Special forces martial art" shows a jumpkick, yeah right
      - Image 1/3 down on front page shows two women being RNC'd by two guys. And smiling!
      - Quote: "Martial Arts without philosophy is merely street fighting". So that's bad, mmkay?

Seems to be hard focused on training for children. This could be a good thing as long as the SD propaganda is in relation to the actual usefulness.

As an adult, I'd be wary to start training there, but I'd have to check it out myself first. There are some warning signals (see above).

Comment

All post pertaining to MA philosophy have been branched off into a new thread:
        http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=52874
        Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.
        "Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
        Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
        Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
        Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
        Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
        Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a pussy or just cruising for some
        I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
        TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
        ATTN TOM KAGAN
        World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
        Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
        I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
        Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Comment

Do they spar? Under what kind of ruleset?
          Locu5
          combat sports hobbyist

Comment

The Tukkong thing is a warning sign. Which Tukkong Musul org is he associated with? The two in the US are bogus scams not linked to the two real orgs in Korea. We has a self proclaimed Tukkong master posting here for a while before Oldman34 liberally raped his cyber ass.
            Mushi mo atsui hodo
            Mushiatsui

Originally Posted by chuey
            ...Well fuck if that isn't the most anti-Mr. Miyagi shit I have heard in ages.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but
            Three rights make a left.

Comment

they do spar, with gear and contact but not full power.

he is associated with tgmsa.org Korean Teuk-Gong Moo Sul Association
              He actually went to Korea to learn so i'm guessing this may be one of the two real organizations you talked about?

Comment

When they spar, what do they do with their hands? Do they compete, in what kind of events?
                Locu5
                combat sports hobbyist

Comment

They punch (hooks, uppercuts, jabs...), they are taught to block with them if they can't get out of the way and to keep them up by their face.

They also do go in/host tournaments I know one that is supposedly big that they go in is the tiger balm internationals http://www.tigerbalmcanada.com/contest.html

Comment

That is good to hear, do you know what sparring categories? Are you interested in competing yourself?
                    Locu5
                    combat sports hobbyist

Comment

I'm not sure what categories but I want to try competing once I get good.

Comment

How is their pricing set up?
                        Locu5
                        combat sports hobbyist

Comment

what i find strange is he says at the top karate and kick boxing/jujitsu but at the bottom he says its tkd. and one of the head instructors looks like a teenager.

Comment

Yeah the head instructors looked like a teenager and his middle aged mom...wtf? and the executive program? So a BB is the most prized achievement of all martial artists? I am no expert, but my bullshit alarm went off several times when I looked at their page.

Comment

Oh.. They're hiring by the way too, if anyone is interested.
                              Vianis Martial Arts is looking for energetic individuals who are looking for a career in martial arts.
                              Positions available:

* Head Instructors
                              * Part-time Instructors
                              * Program Directors

Certain restrictions apply.

Qualities we are looking for are:

* Must love martial arts
                              * Over 16 years old
                              * Must have good appearance. (clean, good hygiene, well groomed)
                              * Must have a citizenship attitude. (Have a sense of community)
                              * Believe in our Vianis Program
                              * No Drama, No Negativity, Positive Attitude only
                              * High level of communication
                              * Reliable Transportation
                              * Have family support
                              * Good Social Skills
                              Seems like a style over substance approach... So the only martial-arts related requirment is that I "love" them?

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X