Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Daniel Matraca a BJJ Black Belt?

Hey folks, can anyone help me?

I've been doin BJJ for a couple of months with a friend, just on some mats in our sports club the two of us. but then my partner went back to his kickboxing club so I haven't been able to grapple.

So I heard about this BJJ blackbelt who is form Brazil and has moved to where I live (Dublin Ireland) and has some classes here in the city. I thought this would be great but then someone saw him compete and he wasn't any good not even close to black belt level more like a blue and someone said hed been training just 2 years whih I know cant be a black belt unless hes really shit hot. BJJ is really small in Ireland theres only 1 black belt and he trains way too far away from me to go train with him.

The guys name is Daniel Matraca and hes from Brazil. If hes really a black belt I want to go train with him but if hes lying no matter how good he is I don't want to train with him as I was with a Karate club before where the guy said he was a world champ and it turns out he was just a chump!

So can anyone tell me if hes really what he says he is? How do I find out?

Have you got the spelling of his name dead on?
    I searched here http://onthemat.com/belts_database.p...demy=&country=
    and nothing came up.
    I don't know if anyone else has a better resource.
    Where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence.

Gandhi

Comment

I can't find a record of him anywhere either.

This does not mean he's not legit...

But it's troubling. Those BJJ types keep good records.
      And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Comment

What claims does he make about his belt? I can't find a website for him online, but a posting on this board: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2055054951 says his e-mail address is [email protected].

The fact that he's not listed on BJJ.org isn't particularly useful, since a lot of BBs aren't. Have you seen any literature that says who he got his BB from? Have you asked him? A generic black belt is not a testable claim. A claim to have received a BB from somebody in particular, however, is testable.

Comment

GoBack,

A quick Google search turned up a few hits on a message board nothing else. As of late Febuary he seems to be at Pinnacle Gym in Dublin.

As for his belt, I would say the best idea would be to simply ask him. The BJJ community is small enough that faking a black belt would be very difficult. So, just ask him who he got his belt from and how to contact his instructor. If he is forthcoming with the information verify it and post your findings here. If he doesnt give you the information proceed with caution, and post here.

In the mean time I would say go check out a class or two and trust your gut.

Good luck!
          I do not aspire to be great, or even good, I hope to suck a little less then last class.

Comment

Originally posted by sochin101
            Have you got the spelling of his name dead on?
            I searched here http://onthemat.com/belts_database.p...demy=&country=
            and nothing came up.
            I don't know if anyone else has a better resource.
            my instructor isn't on there either so that really doesn't many anything.
            Real Join Date: Nov. 2003

Originally posted by Dilbert
            "Driving without blood is surprisingly difficult."

Comment

Originally posted by KhorneliusPraxx
              my instructor isn't on there either so that really doesn't many anything.
              Nope. Failing any better resources, the advice to go and check the guy out seems best.

Unless any of our Irish members know of anything.
              Where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence.

Gandhi

Comment

What if you find out that he is only a purple or a brown? That still means he is far better than anyone else coming in for classes and more than qualified, if he has teaching skills, to be instructor to a bunch of newbs.

Comment

if you are in dublin, look up john kavanagh, he is a bb and runs sbg ireland;

Comment

Goback, if you live in dublin there are a few places you can train BJJ, John Kavanagh at SBG just got his black belt off matt thornton, their affiliate SBG northside is also a legit BJJ school - if you are concerned about Mr Matraca's legitimacy, John Kavanagh's is 100% legit.

You could try asking John about Matraca's BB if you can't make it to SBG.

Comment

Originally posted by KhorneliusPraxx
                      What if you find out that he is only a purple or a brown? That still means he is far better than anyone else coming in for classes and more than qualified, if he has teaching skills, to be instructor to a bunch of newbs.

But he'd still be a liar and a fraud. It shouldn't be overlooked if he is such.
                      And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Comment

Yeah thatd be cool except I don't want to train with someone who is just lying. A Purple or a Brown belt inBJJ is really good right? There is I think a purple belt near me but I was interested because this guy had a black belt. If hes full of crap I don't care how good he is hes not honest.

Comment

Goback,

I suggest sending an e-mail to the address I posted above saying something like:

"Mr. Matraca,
                          I'm very interested in joining your Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu class. Can you tell me a little about yourself? Who did you train with? Who did you get your black belt from? Is your style different from other BJJ instructors?"

The third question defuses the potentially offensive nature of the second.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrapper
                            But he'd still be a liar and a fraud. It shouldn't be overlooked if he is such.
                            Very true...
                            Originally posted by Goback
                            Yeah thatd be cool except I don't want to train with someone who is just lying. A Purple or a Brown belt inBJJ is really good right? There is I think a purple belt near me but I was interested because this guy had a black belt. If hes full of crap I don't care how good he is hes not honest.
                            If you are new to the game...and you have access to multiple instructors, I would stress training with the best teacher. I think it would be best for someone to start out under a Purple with the heart of a teacher than a Black with no people skills. Try various classes and pick the best fit.

Comment

Originally posted by kohadril
                              Goback,

I suggest sending an e-mail to the address I posted above saying something like:

"Mr. Matraca,
                              I'm very interested in joining your Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu class. Can you tell me a little about yourself? Who did you train with? Who did you get your black belt from? Is your style different from other BJJ instructors?"

The third question defuses the potentially offensive nature of the second.
                              This would be the best course of action so far. But be mindfull that he may not reply due to many reasons. It wouldn't be the first time to encounter a legit BB that never checks his e-mail. If he doesn't reply back, just go to the class and show a genuine interest in the classes, asking in a respectful manner - if you ask the questions in person, I'd suggest you ask that last question (is your style different) before the others.

Unlike e-mail where he can see all three questions at once, in person you have to be careful how you talk. In person, I'd suggest you ask as follows:

-- how long have you been training?
                              -- is your style different from the others?
                              -- who did you train with?
                              -- when did you get your BB? (ask only if he doesn't answer it with the first one).
                              -- ask random questions about pricing, contracts, etc. (just to avoid been too obvious.)
                              Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X