No announcement yet.

Is Daniel Matraca a BJJ Black Belt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Like some others have said, don't worry too much about his belt color. A Real purple belt or brown belt (depeding on his teaching skill) has tons of knowledge to share and will be exceptional on the Mat.

Go to the schools you would consider training at and see where you're the most comfortable.

If the guy is cool and legit, great. If the guy is legit but a tool would you want to train there? Personally, I'd rather go to a school where I'd get a lot of individual attention from a purple/brown belt's than one where a black was there and pretty much only supervised.

Assuming that he isn't a black but "Only" a purple/brown. Go with a Legit purple over a liar any day. A legit purple belt is something to be very proud of.

Comment

see...I told you...
      Real Join Date: Nov. 2003

Originally posted by Dilbert
      "Driving without blood is surprisingly difficult."

Comment

I wish I could say anything pertinent about this, but since everyone has said it before, I'm going for the dumb aproach... The guy's name, MATRACA, means nunchaks in portuguese. Or to be more exact, the martial nunchaks and the traditional farming tool used to beat up wheat by portuguese farmers in the old days.

Now I'm going to kill myself before the flames reach me:seppuku:

Comment

ask here:

http://www.nhbgear.com/forum/index.php?board=2.0

lots of Brazilians on there. if he's a real BB, somebody will know.

Comment

Hi guys. yes I don't really know much about grades in BJJ because I'm quite new to it but I had heard that purple/brown was really really good. My mate who was training with me hadnt even got a belt at all and he was still able to show me lots and hed only done about 6 months with either a brown or a black belt.

I'd heard of John Kavanagh and SBG but that club is way too far from me to get to I leave near the city on the wrong side of it and public transport in Ireland SUCKS. I think he was the guy my mate did his training with but had to stop when he moved to another location.

Everyone is spot on about my thinking on this: If I go to him and he says hes only a blue belt but he claimeto be a black then hes a fukin liar!!! Who knows what other ways hed be lying to me in training telling me moves were deadly when they werent LOL!!! I had a great time training with my mate because he was honest and said "I dunno" when he didnt know something I asked him. I had a Karate teacher who would make stuff up if he didnt have an answer and I dont want to go back to that sort of teacher. If hes lied already hes not a guy I can trust. If hes telling the truth then I might go train with him.

Comment

Goback, according to this thread Daniel Matraca came joint 3rd in a submission grappling tournament held in dublin last weekend; he said he had only been training for 2 years and according to most members of the board did not claim to be a black belt; one member said he did. Decide for yourself.

Comment

I'm not going to touch him with a ten foot pole!

It seems hes full of shit. Is there anywhere I can report him or something? It seems like there should be!

Comment

Seems a little early to substantiate anything about the guy.

Give us a link to somewhere he himself has made the claim. That thread you linked to is full of hearsay and half stories. The guy may or may not have claimed anything - lets wait for his website.

If I had a nickle for the number of times someone fucked up what martial art I do and what my ranks are, I would be a very rich man.
                  "Sifu, I"m niether - I'm a fire dragon so don't fuck with me!"

Comment

Originally posted by Askari

Give us a link to somewhere he himself has made the claim. That thread you linked to is full of hearsay and half stories. The guy may or may not have claimed anything - lets wait for his website.

If I had a nickle for the number of times someone fucked up what martial art I do and what my ranks are, I would be a very rich man.

Ain't that the truth! My mother -in- law still asks me(after almost 20 years of involvement) if I'm still doing that Tae Kwon du stuff.

Comment

Yeah Goback in all seriousness I'm inclined to believe that Mr Matraca was merely misunderstood by someone and/or people just assumed a brazilian coming to Ireland offering BJJ classes would be a black belt; even if he wanted to defraud people, I'm sure he wouldn't be stupid enough to go around telling people he was a black belt then hang around with the local BJJ/MMA crowd who are definitely going to check him out; he certainly wouldn't be foolish enough to enter the advanced division of a sub wrestling tourney, when he knows we have BJJ purples and a black belt, with only two years of training...

Comment

Maybe hes a dumbass?:D I dunno maybe he thought cos we were new to it he might get away with it. I dunno, but either way according ot that thread on that boards site hes not any good but I guess at least hes not hiding he came out and competed.

Maybe I'll go give his class a shot and tell you guys what hes like. I live in Sutton in Dublin by the way so I'm just a train away from his class. One things for sure I'll be going in with my "oh really" face on ha ha!

Comment

Originally posted by Askari

I heard you were a 4th Dan BB in some crazy JJJ style.

Here's yer nickel

Comment

Originally posted by Goback
                            Maybe hes a dumbass?:D I dunno maybe he thought cos we were new to it he might get away with it. I dunno, but either way according ot that thread on that boards site hes not any good but I guess at least hes not hiding he came out and competed.

Maybe I'll go give his class a shot and tell you guys what hes like. I live in Sutton in Dublin by the way so I'm just a train away from his class. One things for sure I'll be going in with my "oh really" face on ha ha!
                            3rd place in the advanced division is certainly not "not any good". We have some fairly talented people around here.

Also, have you never heard the phrase "Give him the benefit of the doubt" ?

Comment

I've also heard the phrase "if in doubt..." I'm just cautious. Like I said if hes any good I wouldn't care if he was a pink belt like I said I trained with my mate and he had nothing but if hes a liar... which according to that thread someone posted, he is, then I'm not going near him.

Comment

Having met ShaneT (Went to train with him a few times) I'd say that he's a straight up intelligent man with good listening skills. If he says the guy said he was a BJJ blackbelt, then Id belive him.

Odacon trains with Shane, so he'd be worth PMing to get the facts.

Goback where are you living?

SBG northside is worth checking out, 5 minutes walk from the end of the 29a bus route. There's a lot of good people training there.
                                Last edited by Buffman; 3/15/2007 11:37am, .

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X