if it doesn't work the first time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if it doesn't work the first time

do you discard the technique for being too complex?
    pretty much the simple ones you can do right away, only needing practice and refinement

think in self-defense/street terms

--
    Hard work, Patience, Dedication.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

https://www.instagram.com/bullshido/

Hmmm...It would depend on the technique. You have an example?
    Brendayan
    Fury's Edge
    Morell-Thule

Comment

do you have time to be complex in a self defense situation, or do you do what works without thinking about it.

BASICS, man. fukk the complex techniques. they dont work. if what you do to your opponent FAILS the first time you have just given him the second opportunity to KILL you.

Comment

Please give an example of an overly complex technique.

The reason I ask is that some ppl probably think something like kata guruma from judo is a "complex" technique when it really isn't.

- Skummer -

If you think you can speak about Tao, it is clear you don't know what you're talking about.
        -Lao Tzu

Comment

haha

Comment

I was looking at Frank Shamrock's new tape series
            'How to fight and win' (6 tape series)
            I found it interesting that the submissions section was only 1 tape and contained a few submissions, instead concentrating on how to apply them PROPERLY:

Front Choke.
            Standing Shoulder Lock.
            Arm Bar Lock.
            Monkey Roll Knee Bar and Leg Locks.
            Standing Side Choke.
            Dropping Arm Bar.
            Rear Naked Choke.
            The Wastrel - So attractive he HAS to be a woman.
            - Pizdoff

Comment

Simple techniques which require the least amount of motor skills are the most effective. Forget the Crouching Tiger Hidden Bullshit.

Comment

Seriously though, I'd like some examples of individual techniques that are too complex.

I tend to believe that complexity is highly subjective. In my nearly 10 years of consistant MA practice, I've only seen a couple of techniques I'd consider too complex and unusable.

Example: A guy was showing a "tai chi application" that had you deflect a punch inward and then continue your arm's motion downard and around the opponent's arm until you were in a type of hammerlock. If your opponent is has a slow spell on him that might work, but otherwise...

- Skummer -

If you think you can speak about Tao, it is clear you don't know what you're talking about.
                -Lao Tzu

Comment

I usually like to keep it simple. However its the so called complex techniques that always catch me out whever I spar someone who trains them harder than me.

Of course some stuff can be overly complex and just not fit your style of fighting, however discarding something because it doesn't work for you the first time is kind of stupid in my opinion.

Comment

Palm heel to the face and knee to the groin. Seriously.

~
                    danny

"That baby better watch his mouth. I rape kids like him as part of my warm-up for raping teenagers, grown men, and eventually charging rhinos." - Boyd

Comment

Knees - Elbows - Headbutts.

Comment

Hehe, you would never 540 someone.
                        I'm surprised that someone on this board knows the names for the "trick kicks".

And no matter what, I don't think it's easy to make a dumbass walk into that.

A 540 has such a huge wind up.

I know you were joking, so I'm going to stop trying to justify anything.

Comment

That's one cool thing, we never did those goofy trick kicks in my TKD classes.
                          Brendayan
                          Fury's Edge
                          Morell-Thule

Comment

"Please give an example of an overly complex technique."

ANYTHING YOU HAVE TO THINK ABOUT!

Comment

ANYTHING YOU HAVE TO THINK ABOUT!

Indeed. However, with practice a seemingly complex technique can become second nature.

Take the throw "puter kapela" from silat. This throw looks complex to the casual observer because of its unusual nature, yet the throw still works and actually exists in numerous other styles. I'd also say that an "omoplata" looks like a complex technique, but it works anyway.

Now I have seen aikido clips where the guy demonstrating will pull his uke this way, step under his arm and pull the other way, then turn around and finally throw the guy. If that kinda crap is one technique, then I'd say it's far too complex. However, I've always assumed it was a few techniques strung together for dramatic purposes.

- Skummer -

-Lao Tzu

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X