Vargas's Excellent Grappling Adventure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vargas's Excellent Grappling Adventure

Hey guys, made it back from Vegas. The tournament was a lot of fun, even if it did start late. Of course, every tourney I've been to started late, so that was no big deal. Had four matches, won three, lost to a Cesar Gracie guy named Nathan Diaz on points, 6-2(his brother, Nick, is a pretty kick-ass pro-MMA guy. He was there, too). In fact, three of the four guys I fought were Cesar Gracie students, so that was a little unusual. I really enjoyed talking to those guys, though, they had lots of class and were really cool to me and the other NM guys. Hey Wastrel, if you read this, ask Randy Spence or Nathan Diaz if they remember the guy from Jacksons.

It is evident to me that submission fighting, either gi or no-gi, is getting a lot better as the years go by. My first tournament was two years ago and I can see a big change since then. The guys who fought in the intermediate division back then would be considered good beginner grapplers today. The bar just keeps getting higher and higher. Hopefully, I won't get left in the dust :)

"Go cry about it Vargas. Aren't you late for your shift at McDonald's?"
    "I had once talked to Billy Conn, the boxer, about professionals versus amateurs - specifically street fighters. One had always heard rumors of champions being taken out by back-alley fighters. Conn was scornful. "Aw, it's like hitting a girl," he said. "They're nothing."

- George Plimpton
    "Shadow Box"

Hey Varg, I train with Nathan all the time. I'll be sure to ask him about you. I ee Randy every once in awhile. He comes down from Chico to train with us.

"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - for ever."
    Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the fuck I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Comment

cool dude. I need to get to one of those..

"Wrestling is the Martial Art of America";
      "If you don't know how to wrestle you don't know how to fight, that's the prerequisite to fighting" David Tank Abbott
      "Training = pain." - I said that.

PizDoff when drunk: "I'm actually MOST pissed that my target for the evening got drink...then I gave her my Bullshido Canada hoodie like a gentleman because she was outside with not much on...did I mention she barfed twice when I got our jackets...steaming barf is kinda fascinating..." - PizDoff.

Comment

"to a Cesar Gracie guy named Nathan Diaz on points, 6-2(his brother, Nick, is a pretty kick-ass pro-MMA guy. He was there, too)"
        doesn't Omega train with Nick or something?

--
        Hard work, Patience, Dedication.
        http://www.fightauthority.com/
        Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

https://www.instagram.com/bullshido/

Comment

I do.

"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - for ever."
          Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the fuck I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
          X