WT Antigrappling/ground....reviewed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WT Antigrappling/ground....reviewed

At least I was able to experiment the "famous" (or "infamous") WT antigrappling - antiground program!

It's basically very similar to a JJ set of techniques vs holds, chockes, semi or full Nelson etc., chokes on the ground, locks on the ground etc.with a particular focus on strikes.

The objectives of all the set is for the standing techniques to strike first and throw or to escape using WT principles (VERY similar to JJ), and on the ground to get on the mount or choke (VERY VERY similar to JJ and a bit of BJJ).

When I asked the teacher (EBMAS) if this was actually WT or a "contamination" from other arts, he told me that that was originated in the system, and that the strong similarity with JJ or BJJ derives from the fact that the human body is done in a certain way, and if you want to do an armbar, there are not so hundreds of way to do it in an effective way. As a matter of fact, I think it's an integration done by Emin from other systems.

Is it effective? Well, it depends on how you train (of course); if you just stick to it and train in it as a pre arranged set of techniques, the efficacy is low/average, if you spar and fight going on the ground and trying to apply it in combat, the efficacy goes very near to any MMA.

Again in EBMAS (at least here in Italy), I found several open minded people and attitude, and as a matter of fact WT it's maybe becoming a MMA, integrating other styles (Escrima, and for what I have seen JJ and some BJJ), though they will never admit it!

It's late, but I don't get the idea behind "anti-grappling".

If you're using joint locks, holds, chokes, etc, that's grappling. There's nothing 'anti' about it. It would be like a BJJ guy taking up boxing and calling it "Anti-striking"; which would make no logical sense whatsoever, at least as far as the English language is concerned.

Why the semantics and word games?

The only martial arts techniques that are really anti-grappling are strikes.

Comment

I don't know the reasons of the wording, it may means that they're trying to teach you how to deal and what to expect from a grappler?

Comment

Exactly right Phrost, there's no such bloody thing as "anti-grappling", you're either grappling, striking, or both.

----------------------------------------------------------
        Space may be the final frontier,
        But it's made in a Hollywood basement.
        "You realise the transformations give a man enough strength to destroy a truck with his bare hands!?
        YOU HAVE BETRAYED ME, IN THE WORST POSSIBLE MANNER!!" - KiWarrior

"Sport ? That kind of thing's not my bag baby!" - Sammy Franco

"This system was developed with the help of notible BJJ fighter Ribbon Muchado." - "Sifu" Anthony Iglesias

Comment

>And on the ground to get on the mount or choke (VERY VERY similar to JJ and a bit of BJJ).

OMG NO ! What if the guy has friends... or a weapon ?!!!!!

"You realise the transformations give a man enough strength to destroy a truck with his bare hands!?

"This system was developed with the help of notible BJJ fighter Ribbon Muchado." - "Sifu" Anthony Iglesias

Comment

Well, MY weapon is surely bigger...

Comment

Lol, I'm content.

Comment

The trouble with anti-grappling is that you cannot use a wrestling counter against a wrestler if you don't know how to wrestle.

And how exactly do you practice the sprawl, for example, if nobody knows how to shoot properly?

I find the idea that you can teach a striker to counter a wrestler by using one or two of the wrestler's moves, ridiculous.
                If you want to counter a grappler, learn to grapple.

Comment

Damn you MMA Phil, stop talking sense!

Comment

"Why the semantics and word games?"
                    good question

"Well, MY weapon is surely bigger..."
                    just whip it out to impress them

--
                    Hard work, Patience, Dedication.
                    http://www.ebaynham.com/
                    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

https://www.instagram.com/bullshido/

Comment

Comment

"When my master student Emin Boztepe challenged and defeated the Yip Man student William Cheung in Cologne in 1986,"

lol

"We are WT-people, however, and we neither wish to become wrestlers nor to falsify our WT by mixing it with wrestling techniques."
                        falsify? I'm a Wing Chun person, i have no qualms about cross-training, i'm more important than the art i take

True, the student really isn't much good until the third form, Biu Jee in my experiance

--
                        Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Comment

It's all talk, prove it or STFU!

(To article)

Edited by - slj on June 27 2003 08:30:35

Comment

Comment

"It's all talk, prove it or STFU!

(To article)"
                              lol, you tell that article

"Bullshit."
                              i found that amusing too

MMA Phil-I'm sure i agree with some of your post
                              too bad i didn't read it

Wing Tsun sucks!

--

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X