No announcement yet.

A Rickson Story *interesting*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Ken Shamrock was a prowreslter long before he went to the WWE or even UFC. He was a prowrestler in Japan that switched with other prowrestlers into Shoot Fighting."

Royce kicked Ken's a$$ though... Also their Art Become More famus since a "Prowrestler" like Ken S. Lost to Royce.

Comment

"Royce kicked Ken's a$$ though... Also their Art Become More famus since a "Prowrestler" like Ken S. Lost to Royce."

In UFC 1, year Royce won. Shamrock underestimated him. Shamrock was the only competitor there that had any real MMA style experience ans assumed Royce was no threat. Big mistake.

But their UFC Superfight, was a whole different story. Yes it was technically a draw, but come on, if there were judges to score the fight Shamrock would have won hands down. Royce was on his way out and was saved by the bell. After the fight Shamrock looked like he could go another 30 minutes, Royce looked like he needed a trip to the hospital.

The thing is I don't consider Shamrock, even in his prime, to be that great of a fighter. He was just one of the best that UFC had at the time, which isn't saying much.

Not to mention that a prowrestler, Sakuraba, was the one to rip through the Gracie family tree in Pride. Does that now make prowrestling the ultimate art?

<marquee>Dragon , Snake , Tiger , Leopard , Crane. R.M.F.A.F.T.A.T.! </marquee>

Edited by - Punisher on June 01 2003 17:58:36

Comment

>Rickson? As far as i know he has Never been defeated in Grappling tournament or Vale Tudo NHB.

Like other things Greco you don't know much. (still waiting on your vast knowledge on Maeda and how he was a *master* of Jujutsu) Rickson LOST his first grappling match and several others. He said this in an intreview for a MA magazine. I think the interveiw is still on his site. His record only reflects the venues that are popular now it does not reflect ALL his fights.

So do you want more education. You STILL haven't proven me wrong. Tell you what I will send you a BJJ= Basicly Just Judo shirt for you troubles. BTW another BJJ Blue belt has bitten the dust I submitted him 5 out of 5 rolls, still won't make it to VA until June. Now a little Judoka like me shouldn't be able to do that, right?

>Not to mention that a prowrestler, Sakuraba, was the one to rip through the Gracie family tree in Pride. Does that now make prowrestling the ultimate art?

Yes PRORESU is the ULTIMATE MA.

______
        Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invinsible Asia) Emporer of Baji!!!
        THE TRUE FIST OF THE NORTHSTAR!!
        ______
        Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
        -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
        The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
        -Daniel Tosh

Comment

Punisher: In the second fight Royce vs Ken...Ken was defending the For 30 Minutes he hasn't tryed even one Decent sub-Atempt Besides that he hasn't he was way Heavyer than Royce!

Asia i haven't read the Magazine u Mentioned so im in No position to Know if it's Real. Maybe it is Maybe it isn't... Anyway i will not Try to convince u my Friend... We both know it's a waste of time.

As for Sakuraba he Lost 2 Times From Silva-(Muay-thai/BJJ Purple Belt) And from Schembri-(Not By a Sub but he still Lost).

<...BTW another BJJ Blue belt has bitten the dust I submitted him 5 out of 5 rolls, still won't make it to VA until June. Now a little Judoka like me shouldn't be able to do that, right?>

I don't remember saying that a BJJ Blue Belt always Defeats Every Judo Guy, I said that i Seen and Heard and Read about White and Blue Belts Defeating Judo BBelts... Anyway Roll with a BJJ BB and Share Your Experience with us Later...
          There r Lot's of Judo BB that give much attention in Ground Work But there r also Lot's of Judo BB that have Limited or No ground work Skills.
          But there is no Legit BJJ BB with No good Ground work or at least a Medium Stand UP.

Comment

Did you fail reading comprehension 101?

Where did I say that the Gracies are responsible for Grappling?

MMA/NHB, what does that mean to you? Grappling?

N00b
            Anthony_A:

Your statement:
            The rest of us would still be practicing forearm blocks and think we were bad asses.

Thank God for the Gracies.
            That is where I thought you were referring to the Gracies introducing grappling to the public. As blocking is still a part of fighting, I assumed that you were talking of "new" elements such as grappling.

I am sorry that I was mistaken and you were only talking about the introduction of MMA/NHB fighting. As I do not have a good enough comprehension to really understand your listed statements, I would ask you to please explain to me exactly what you meant that the Gracies introduced that would cause people practicing forearm blocks to feel less than badass if it wasn't grappling. I don't think that MMA/NHB would have influenced people practicing forearm blocks unless it had grappling in it, which is why I can't understand your statement.

Thank you in advance.

Wyatt

Comment

If I must Wyatt.

Most of us who do GJJ/BJJ come from a standup MA. Most if not all, practice some forearm blocking.

Now do you understand? Or must I hand feed you everything?

==================
              "When we go to the ground, you are in my world. The ground is the ocean, I am the shark, and most people don't even know how to swim." RCJ Machado
              Originally posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
              "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Comment

Oh and Wyatt. I'm usually a much nicer person, it's day three on quitting smoking day.

==================
                "When we go to the ground, you are in my world. The ground is the ocean, I am the shark, and most people don't even know how to swim." RCJ Machado
                "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Comment

Before BJJ Became Famus People prefered more to Practice in Striking Arts. Now Most People Try To Work Stand-Up and Ground Work. No the Gracie's didn't create Grappling but they Made People love it "Again".

Comment

I never did TKD. Hush your mouth O.

==================

Comment

I have Train in Kick-Boxing for 2 Years before i started BJJ. Also i have done a Litle TKD for a Few Months.

Comment

Anthony_A:
                        Here is what I interpretted you were saying about the Gracie's:
                        They were responsible for the today's MMA/NHB, and they openned people's eyes with their grappling. Nothing you have said has really refutted my interpretation of your statement. From there I saw your use of the phrase "[t]he rest of us" in reference to people reading the forum and inferred that without the Gracies, we would not know about grappling and would still think that striking was the supreme way of becoming a badass.

As I couldn't see how a striking oriented MMA/NHB could make strikers feel that striking was less effective, and the fact that BJJ was presented in the early UFCs as a grappling art, made me think that you were impling grappling being integral to the success of showing strikers that they were not as badass as they believed. Hense why I thought one of the meanings of you post was to say that the Gracies were the ones who introduced grappling to us, as without them strikers would have continued thinking the same way they had in the past.

As far as the above, if you could explain where I have erred in my intepretation then I'm sure I can understand what you actually meant.

Wyatt

Comment

Suggesting that the Gracies were the only ones responsible for showing North Americans grappling discredits the other people who introduced grappling on a much smaller scale. Speaking outside of North America the statement is just wrong, Judo, wrestling, Sambo, etc have been popular in large parts of the world before BJJ became well known.
                          ============================

Did you fail reading comprehension 101?

Where did I say that the Gracies are responsible for Grappling?

MMA/NHB, what does that mean to you? Grappling?

N00b

==================

I think that was a reference to your forearm blocks comment.
                          And that's when I figured out that tears couldn't make somebody who was dead alive again. There's another thing to learn about tears, they can't make somebody who doesn't love you any more love you again. It's the same with prayers. I wonder how much of their lives people waste crying and praying to God. If you ask me, the devil makes more sense than God does. I can at least see why people would want him around. It's good to have somebody to blame for the bad stuff they do. Maybe God's there because people get scared of all the bad stuff they do. They figure that God and the Devil are always playing this game of tug-of-war game with them. And they never know which side they're gonna wind up on. I guess that tug-of-war idea explains how sometimes, even when people try to do something good, it still turns out bad.

Comment

Anthony_A:
                            Here is what I interpretted you were saying about the Gracie's:
                            They were responsible for the today's MMA/NHB, and they openned people's eyes with their grappling. Nothing you have said has really refutted my interpretation of your statement. From there I saw your use of the phrase "[t]he rest of us" in reference to people reading the forum and inferred that without the Gracies, we would not know about grappling and would still think that striking was the supreme way of becoming a badass.

As I couldn't see how a striking oriented MMA/NHB could make strikers feel that striking was less effective, and the fact that BJJ was presented in the early UFCs as a grappling art, made me think that you were impling grappling being integral to the success of showing strikers that they were not as badass as they believed. Hense why I thought one of the meanings of you post was to say that the Gracies were the ones who introduced grappling to us, as without them strikers would have continued thinking the same way they had in the past.

As far as the above, if you could explain where I have erred in my intepretation then I'm sure I can understand what you actually meant.

Wyatt

How about go fuck yourself?

You got all that from 3 sentences. My, you are just the genius.

Do they give you special pocket protectors to be able to use your super quantifying powers like that?

Give it a break. Talk about stupid. Do you train at all, or act the know it all behind the monitor?

==================

Comment

I'm sorry I offended you, that was not my intention. My intention was to show the thought process behind my conclusion you disputed. Apprently that cannot be done without ticking you off, so all I can say is I'm sorry.

At any rate, yes, I do train, I've discussed it some in other posts.</shrug>

Wyatt

Comment

Illyrus,

Welcome to the fold! I like your style kiddo and wanted to see if you would wilt under some nasty posts.

Don't mind my earlier posts, sometimes I leave things out due to my advanced stage of ADD. But when I ment the rest of us, I meant the BJJ brotherhood. Most BJJ'ers would understand that, as most of us at one time or another studied some martial art, ala TKD or one of it's ilk and found the uselessness of that said art.

Hope that explained it.

==================

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X