Psuedo-Challenge at my Dojo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Funny thing about the leg kicks...
    Chuck Lidell has studied Kempo for many years and he landed a BIG spinning kick into the body of Vitor Belfort at UFC 37.5 that you can really tell took quite a bit of steam out of Belfort during that round. That was a great fight IMHO and I watch it over and over on tape because I just love to watch Chuck at the top of his game.

I think that its pretty obvious this grappler guy who showed up at your dojo had something to prove and he really needed a dose of humility. Your instructor is obviously a realist and approaches martial ARTS very differently than "grappler guy" who showed up thinking it was an opportunity to make a Wing Chun practitioner (and instructor, no less) feel less than capable of defending themselves.

I really believe there is a place for enjoying martial ARTS (WC, Kung Fu, Karate, dare I say...TKD) but if you have illusions of practicing the same stuff in katas as street-self defense, you're as deluded as the grappler guy who thinks its a good idea to shoot a low single leg on the street and cuts his own knees up on the way into his opponent. There's just things that make sense in competitive sport and there's stuff that DOES NOT work in real-world situations.

Comment

Punisher, I just feel the need to quote some Japanese philosophy:

What is the difference between a good and a great sword?
      In acient times, katana blades would be hung from brigdes into small streams surrounding the blacksmiths. As the cherry blossom was washed gently down the stream they would fall on the blade of the good sword and get cut in half, however, as the blossom washed towards the great sword they seemed to always move aside, as if their fate had already been sealed the moment they hit the water.

I guess the moral of this story is that your Sensei was a great sword.

Comment

Well there you go.

Edited by - Kensai on June 01 2003 17:03:39

Comment

I think it would have been a more honorable for him to have issued a formal challenge then to pretend he actually cared about learning Wing Chun when he had different intentions.

Osiris:
          While I think the sword story was perhaps a little out of the context for the discussion, I think you may have missed one point. The sword wasn't avoiding the blossom, the blossom was staying the away from the sword as the sword was just that badass. Thats different then fight avoidance. Thats being so badass the other guy isn't willing to mess with you.

Wyatt

Comment

Look, my instructor showed the guy what he was going to do at approximately full speed but no contact.

The guy said it wouldn't work.

My instructor told him to do whatever he wanted. It is reasonable to assume he came in the second time with a amount of speed and force he thought would be sufficent to defeat the defense. He was wrong.

His next excuse was that he was still holding back because he didn't want to hurt my instructor. My instructor didn't mention that he was nice enough to hold back on his kick, making it more of a pushing one that sat the guy on his ass, instead of a thrusting one that would have made him puke or piss blood.

What was my instructor supposed to do? Keep letting the guy come in at him again and again until the guy was finally able to take my instructor down and show he was right? After what happened my instructor gave the guy an out my asking him to leave, and he took out of his own free will. I'm sure if the guy really wanted to try it one more time, my instructor would hae accomidated him.

Do you honestly think the guy still believes he can kick my instructor's ass? I have no doubt he is pissed about the experience, and going over in his head over and over about what he "should" have done and why his views on fighting are stil right. If he is smart he will realize that his theories are basically correct, but he just doesn't have suffecient skill to pull the off right now.

<marquee>Dragon , Snake , Tiger , Leopard , Crane. R.M.F.A.F.T.A.T.! </marquee>

Comment

"Yeh. Why would he change his mind ove one move. Ive been in similar situations and it hasny changed ny mind. I shoot, they counter. It proves nothing."

I never said or even implied that it did. My instructor never had anything to "prove". The other guy did. If he had ran right through my instructor's kick and taken him down the guy would have considered it a triumph but it would have equally proven nothing. The bottom line was the guy thought there was no way what my instructor did would work even in that limited context. You obiviously know better, but he was too blinded my the hype to see the truth.

I used to be the same way. I was told in my youth that a good sidekick was so fast and so powerful that it would blow through almost any guard and would be very hard to defend against.

Told this to a friend of mine and he told me that was crap, and rightfully so. Still I was stupid and insisted I was right and suggested we try it out. As he stood there in front of me, arms at his side, I gave him a full force crossover side kick, expecting to launch him out of my yard and prove my point. He simply stepped to the side, grabbed my leg, and threw me into a tree.

What happened at my dojo was no different. The moral of my story would have been the same if one of our Wing Chun students foolishly walked in to a local BJJ school daring for anyone there to try to take him down. Or even worse, something like this:

Billy WC goes into XYZ BJJ and say "Hi, I'm interested in classes, what do you guys teach?"

"I'm really interested in takedowns, can you show me one?" (instructor complies)

"Why can't a guy just kick you on the way in, like they teach in my Wing Chun class?" (instructor agrees to try)

{after picking himself off the mat) "I wasn't ready. Besides, I would have kicked you harder in real life." (instructor agrees to try again)

(after picking himself off the mat again) "I was still holding back out of respect, and you knew what I was going to do. That's not fair. Wing Chun still will defeat all takedown attempts. I'm going home."

Now how stupid does that sound? Your martial art won't DO shit. You are the one DOING. If you don't have the skill you should keep your mouth shut, or at least by up front about your motives.

If the guy had a different attiutude my instructor might have even given him some pointers on how not to get knocked on his ass in similar situation.

Comment

I agree with Punisher... all this little clash proves is that there is no such thing as a superior style. Practiocioner is everything.

--A poor band player I was, but now I am crocodile king. --
                Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
                "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Comment

::Cocks his shotgun:: Anyone wanna try to grapple?
                  A shotgun blast to the face is usually pretty effective against grapplers I hear.

All this talk of spin kicks reminds me of when I was about 17 or 18 and used to spar with this other kid from school. I had very little trainging and he had none. It was always fun using him for a punching bag. Usually we just used hands, but one day he came over and we were in the back yard going all out with kicks and punches. Like an idiot, I did a spinning kick and just as I came around and my leg was going out, he was throwing like a sidekick that went straight under my leg and right into my balls. It lifted me off the ground and I landed on my back. Then I crawled around on the ground for awhile trying to get rid of that unique feeling that comes from getting hit with a hammer in the testicles.

Comment

LOL!! I used to do that to one of my friends all the time. He has longer legs than me, and we were both high kickers. Him being the faster of the two, when we kicked at the same time, his leg would invariably be higher than mine, acting as a sort of guide-rail.. making my kicks slide time after time into his crotch.

Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
                    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Comment

LOL!! I used to do that to one of my friends all the time. He has longer legs than me, and we were both high kickers. Him being the faster of the two, when we kicked at the same time, his leg would invariably be higher than mine, acting as a sort of guide-rail.. making my kicks slide time after time into his crotch.

That's brutal. I think this kid just got lucky, but I'm not sure. It seemed as though he just happened to throw a kick at exactly the right time, but for all I know, he meant to do it. He was quite happy with himself that's for sure. I mean he felt bad about my pain or at least acted like he did, but he couldn't hide the pride he felt in having executed such a devestating shot. Even before it happened, I quickly discovered that he was much better at kicking than he was at boxing, and I wan't able to completely own him like I did when we were just using hands.

Comment

Heh .. Kicking by itself is an art, just like striking :)

Every once in a while when you spar, you get the perfect chance to land a sidekick. It definitely is one of the most destructive kicks there is. The spinning sidekick is more powerful, but harder to execute.

Simps

Comment

I think Punisher's instructor is a gentleman. He sounds like a cool dude.

Comment

I agree with Ballonknot, its clear that the Sensei held back too, as did this grappler. Either way, its clear the "challenger" walked out disppointed not the Sensei. I think it takes a lot of guts to hold back on a situation that could potentially ruin your reputation and respect of your students if he'd been taken down and submitted.

Comment

"I think it takes a lot of guts to hold back on a situation that could potentially ruin your reputation and respect of your students if he'd been taken down and submitted."

My instructor really had nothing to lose. Even if this guy was the next Royce Gracie and took my instructor down and tapped him out, students wouldn't have lost any respect for him, because that result would have been, honestly, expected. We teach that most forms of grappling have strategic advantages over striking and never claim to have all the answers in fighting.

My instructor and I have the same philosphy, the best thing someone can do for us is kick our ass. That is the best way to learn. I and I have to say, I learn a lot more than he does.

The whole reason he teaches Wing Chun is after an entire life of learning American Kenpo and being damn good at it a Wing Chun/dance instructor whooped his ass. It wasn't a bloody challenge match or something, just a friendly sparring match arranged by a mutal friend, but it was obvious the sifu was light years ahead in skill. My instrctor decided to train under him, not to learn the art, but to learn from the man. The fact he fell in love with Wing Chun doing so was almost an accident.

I can honestly say that my instructor is one of the most well grounded guys I know. He is one of the maybe 5 besr martial artists I have seen in real life, but he has constantly sought out people that are even better to learn from. If you ask him where he ranks in the world of martial arts he will say, "I'm somewhere between the top of the amateurs and the bottom of the professionals."

Comment

Indeed.

Sorry I was not making out that your Sensei had anything to lose or anything to prove. I was trying to make the point that he appeared to be a good man, as you have said.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X