Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Re: Wing Chun (Wing Tsun schools in Vancouver?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wing Chun (Wing Tsun schools in Vancouver?

Hello to you all;

I am looking into signing up for Wing Chun. After reading some of your comments that were written in this forum I am kind of weary. There seems a lot of unprofessionals out there just trying to make a quick buck. So far I have found the following schools...

www.tstvingtsun.bc.ca SIFU Lit Leung-Yiu trained by GM Tsui Sheng-Tin
    www.wingtsunkungfu.com SIFU Ralph Haenel trained by Emin Boztepe
    Goh Ying Wa (Fred Kwok) Sifu; School of Wing Chun
    Eric Li's Wing Chun Kung Fu Club (Ip Ching Wing Chun)

Do you all have any suggestions? I am finding hard to pick from one of these since I really do not know too much about the true lineage of this Martial Art.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Heretic

Oh; and by the way if you all happen to have any suggestions you may very well e-mail me at [email protected].

Thanks for your help.

Heretic

Comment

http://www.wingtsunkungfu.com/ Try that out.

As for the others I don't know anything about them, but go check them all out and find out for yourself which one suits you the best.

Don't hessitate to voice your skeptisism and ask lot's of questions :)

Comment

Go with Eric Li. He's a direct student under Ip Ching, who of course is Im Man's son. You couldn't get a more direct lineage unless you moved to Hong Kong to study under Ip Ching or Ip Chun. My instructor has met with him on many occasions and was very impressed by no bs straight forward approach to Wing Chun.

"But some apes they gotta go, so we kill the ones we don't know" - 'Ape shall never kill Ape' by The Vandals
        Apu: "Oh! You have just been Apu'd!"

Comment

Yeah go with the best lineage! :p

Or you could go to the one who has the most focus on actual fighting, but nah lineage is so much cooler!

Comment

Guest, you mean actual fighting? wow, what a concept, because you know, wing chun was never based on actual fighting till some guy was like "hey, I can actually use this in a fight".

"But some apes they gotta go, so we kill the ones we don't know" - 'Ape shall never kill Ape' by The Vandals
            Apu: "Oh! You have just been Apu'd!"

Comment

I do not know Ralph Haenel from a hole in the wall but you might want to read the article on this site that reviews the whole William Chueng/Emin Boztepe fight that happened in Germany ten years ago for the following reason.

Some people in the Wing Chung/tsun community think that Emin is a jerk, abate a talented one. If true, such a trait can detract from an instructors teaching, and Emin may choose instructors based partly on whether they are similar in outlook and personality to himself.

When you go to visit Ralph listen closely to see if he is a down to earth guy or is infested with Macho Madness. For example he volunteers something like "My instructor kicks everyone's ass, even the Gracies are afraid of him" you'll know where he is coming from.

This is admittedly only a personal preference on my own part, some people do quite well under such instructors. But knowing he is with Emin could be both a positive and a negative. you just have to be a critical shopper, and I would encourage you to visit him since even if you don't like his presentation it will help you sharpen your ability to "read" the other schools. Good luck

Comment

Thank you for your help. It just seems so difficult on finding "honest" classes. Especially when you have to pay $100 per month on lessons.

I have also found this particular school which happens to be very close to my home...www.choylaifut.net.

Someone has mentioned to me that this also has some lineage towards Wing Chun. Is this true?

Again, I would like to thank you for all of your help and suggestions.

Heretic

Comment

Get a free lesson at each place and judge from that, nothing else.

Comment

I have trained with Emin Boztepe and he is not a jerk. Wing Chun/Tsun can be useless or extraordinarily effective, depending on how it is taught and how hard you train. Check out the schools and see how they train. If they focus exclusively on drills and Chi Sau (no sparring), it probably isn't worth your money. If they spar and teach techniques in all the fighting ranges (kicking, punching, knees & elbows, grappling) in addition to Chi Sau, you are probably at a good school.

You can't make a man by standing a sheep on its hindlegs but if you get a group of men together you can create a herd of sheep.

Edited by - WTDude on May 29 2003 14:01:00

Comment

If you're from vancouver, you should check out my new website

Vancouver Kung Fu Msgboard

I just put it up last week for people who are interested in learning MA in vancouver.

The choy lay fut school you mentioned has a good rep. Also, its my opinion (flames! argh, the flames!) that its better than WC/WT.

Ralph charges too much. You can get WC/WT instruction from many places in Vancouver (I know of at least 4 other). My xingyi doesn't even cost that much.

Why do you want to learn WC/WT in particular? I'm curious.

Hello to you all;

I am looking into signing up for Wing Chun. After reading some of your comments that were written in this forum I am kind of weary. There seems a lot of unprofessionals out there just trying to make a quick buck. So far I have found the following schools...

www.tstvingtsun.bc.ca SIFU Lit Leung-Yiu trained by GM Tsui Sheng-Tin
                      www.wingtsunkungfu.com SIFU Ralph Haenel trained by Emin Boztepe
                      Goh Ying Wa (Fred Kwok) Sifu; School of Wing Chun
                      Eric Li's Wing Chun Kung Fu Club (Ip Ching Wing Chun)

Do you all have any suggestions? I am finding hard to pick from one of these since I really do not know too much about the true lineage of this Martial Art.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Heretic

Comment

To Samuel Browning;

Thanks for your reply.

This is why I am trying to get some feedback. I am looking for the best possible feedback I can get before I commit myself. The story regarding Ralph Haenel's Sifu (Emin Boztepe) kind of turned me away from even checking out that particular class.

To relate some of my thoughts I have regarding some MA schools. I have taken Judo, up to blue belt. Then I quit because I got fed up with the Olympic bull**** rules. Not only that but when I was put up against higher belts during competitions it seemed as though I was always taking them out. In my highest beliefs, when one becomes a Black belt in something they should do very well as to defend themselves. Especially against lower belts. This just tells me that they have not been "properly" trained.
                        After this I decided to take Tae-Kwon-Do. I made it to Yellow and just at this time I ended up getting in a fight in a club, not by my choice. To make this story short I found that again the skills learned in Tae-Kwon-Do can only, and will only relate to the Olympic sport for which it is meant.

What I have been wanting to do all of my life, since watching "Enter the Dragon" was to take Wing Chun. It seems as it is a simple yet very effective art which would also allow me to remain in shape and also learn more of the culture for which it comes from. Not only that but when faced with a situation to which I need to defend myself, it is something that I can actually accomplish without having to follow the "Olympic" sanctions.

However with this being said some of the schools I have looked at which teach Wing Chun, Wing Tsun and/or Ving Tsun (when is it going to stop?) seem to have masters or Sifu's that I can probably beat up with no experience. Its nice to have Sifu's that put you through a hard regiment. Ultimately this is why we pay over $100 per month in lessons.

Just my thoughts

Heretic

Comment

By all means check out all those schools.

Choy Lay Fut, by the way is a RIVAL style of Wing Chun. It uses low, wide stances and large whipping strikes. I learned a couple of the forms back in the 80s when my WC instructor was worried about the (at that time) active rivalry between the styles in Hong Kong. I was training in St. Louis, MO, so it was pretty unlikely we'd have to worry about it though! Choy Lay Fut is an effective and realistic fighting style, and Choy Lay Fut fighters win open style matches in Hong Kong and China with great frequency. I am pretty sure that Kung Fu San Soo is an offshoot of Choy Lay Fut, too. It's worth checking out.

Comment

Seriously you are retarded if you take a totaly biased story and don't go to a class to check it out because of that.

Now if I told you that XXX did XXX would you also not go to check his classes out?

Go check it out, it's FREE, and experience the Sifu, the class, the training, your potential classmates for yourself - don't take another account as a good advice because 99% are biased and 100% haven't tried all the choices you put up there.

Go find out for yourself, take a free introduction class and see what the schools are about, then make your choice.

That way you get a wide array of different Wing Tsun/Chun and you can pick which one holds your future.

Comment

I can speak from visiting the local schools in SA, the best wt/wc school was the Emin Boztepe branch. Very profesional and a VERY rigorous workout! Interestingly, both the head and sec. instructor have extensive bouncing exp. The school has many ex boxers and the like as well! Do try the ebmas rep-try to go in w/ no preconceptions at all...I've been visiting ALL the schools in my town since I returned and have enjoyed in immensely.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X