Announcement

Collapse

FORUM MAINTENANCE

FORUM MAINTENANCE THIS EVENING!!! PLEASE BE AWARE THAT THE FORUMS WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE FOR A PERIOD OF TIME. JOIN US ON THE DISCORD, INSTEAD!
See more
See less

Is this WC? And effective?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this WC? And effective?

I remember for whatever reason, a lot of people liked to diss WC back in the day as not very effective. There were a few videos of some chain punching that looked sort of like girly slapping or whatever, but overall I got the impression that as impressive as WC may look, the style just isn't that effective.

Here's a video I found on myspace (actually featured) and I was wondering if, first, this was WC chain punching, second, if people punch that fast normally, and third, if this kind of punch is effective. In it is basically a guy drilling his punches. They're fast (duh).

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...=876095556&n=2

TODAY I SAW THE FUTURE!!!!!

I saw slappy-fast-McFuck-hands on the opening page of MySpace and just knew that someone was going to make a new post about it.

And your answer WW, is No.

Dagon

Comment

Phil Elmore thinks this is a great video demonstrating the importance of fast hands.

Need I go on?
      Imports from Japan, Shipping Worldwide! Art Junkie, Scramble, BJJ Spirits, Reversal...
      Scramble Stuff

Comment

Notice how in all this guys vidoes the other guy remains perfectly still.

Ergo slapy fast hands is great against people who stand still and do nothing

Comment

It needs commentary like in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_uuN5kuq74

after a long days workout of punching really fast, nothing beats a nice massage.

Comment

They were performing Chi sao,but it was performed in a one sided manner.I think they were performing it for the sake of the camera.Chain punching can and is incorporated in chi sao,but it seemed like the attacker only used chop like blows.
            BOTH participants should have initiated attacks and counter attacks.

Comment

1. Those aren't chain punches.

2. His partner is remaining completely still, which I guess is ok depending upon the context of the film. I don't really like it though due to reason #3.

3. The guy closes the distance between himself and his partner. He seems to go from mid to close. At that point he should be thinking about controlling his partner as well as striking. In other words, his partner should be going backwards at the same time he's being struck. At close range they should be demonstrating striking and posture pursuit. Again, maybe it's just the context of the film. It might just be some guy showing off, but I also believe in the "how you practice is how you'll perform" line of thinking.

4. The film gives the wrong impression in that it wants us to think that WC is all about being fast. It isn't. Speed is important of course, but a lack of speed can be masked by positioning yourself correctly. What good is speed if your strikes aren't effective?

Anyway, just my thoughts. Hard to say as we really don't know the context, but looking at it from a strict WC point of view, I'd have to give it a thumbs down.

Comment

That's not fast punching at all. Speedy Gonzales dude is just moving his hands around, barely touching or just lightly tapping/slapping. Punching is punching, touching is touching. It's a nice feat of agility under a stress-free environment, but it's not punching.

Plus his partner is just standing there. No person in a competition or S/D scenario is going to stay like that. If the dude is there just to serve as a point of reference for the other dude to practice his agility, fine.

I doubt that's the case, though.
                Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Comment

How could they possibly hurt?

Comment

If yes, then no.

Comment

Even most CMA and IMA guys agree that this is a bogus clip. The guy on right does nothing but let the guy move his hands at fast speeds, with NO POWER. Honestly this is one of my main gripes about WC guys, they have no whole body power, mostly arms, and sometimes from waist up. At the most I've seen some guys swivel (rotate) their legs a little bit for an extra push (for the gimmicky one inch punch), but it is no where near the explosiveness of a boxer, or even an IMA like XingYi.

So I would say no to your question. That is just my opinion though :)

Comment

Originally posted by Dagon Akujin
                        TODAY I SAW THE FUTURE!!!!!

I saw slappy-fast-McFuck-hands on the opening page of MySpace and just knew that someone was going to make a new post about it.

And your answer WW, is No.

Dagon

I am legally changing my name to slappy mcfuck hands.

Comment

The fact that you are seriously critiquing this steaming pile of cat-vomit, and that you do wing chun, leads me to fear for your sanity.

Even as a wing chun person, can you not see that that stuff is completely useless aside from maybe going for the guinness world record for the amount of love taps delivered to a zombie in under 1 minute?

this is the kind of video that gives WC people a bad name... all mouth and no trousers. All speed and no power. The kind of shit that impresses girls or people with no idea about martial arts. As a wing chun person you need to recognise this shit when you see it, IMHO.

Originally posted by amichaell
                          1. Those aren't chain punches.

2. His partner is remaining completely still, which I guess is ok depending upon the context of the film. I don't really like it though due to reason #3.

3. The guy closes the distance between himself and his partner. He seems to go from mid to close. At that point he should be thinking about controlling his partner as well as striking. In other words, his partner should be going backwards at the same time he's being struck. At close range they should be demonstrating striking and posture pursuit. Again, maybe it's just the context of the film. It might just be some guy showing off, but I also believe in the "how you practice is how you'll perform" line of thinking.

4. The film gives the wrong impression in that it wants us to think that WC is all about being fast. It isn't. Speed is important of course, but a lack of speed can be masked by positioning yourself correctly. What good is speed if your strikes aren't effective?

Anyway, just my thoughts. Hard to say as we really don't know the context, but looking at it from a strict WC point of view, I'd have to give it a thumbs down.
                          Imports from Japan, Shipping Worldwide! Art Junkie, Scramble, BJJ Spirits, Reversal...
                          Scramble Stuff

Comment

supercrap is right.

wtf?

supercrap? The meaning of your name only just dawned on me. Man I need sleep...

Comment

Yup. Im just gonna go ahead and weigh in on the side of the big " NO".
                              I mean sure, the guys quick as hell but there is zero power. Guarantee if he did put some power into those shots it would slow him down a treat.:spanky:

:spanky:

:spanky: :spanky:

this is a funny icon

:spanky: :spanky: :spanky:

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X