• PizDoff
    replied
    neck position affects spinal position

--
    Hard work, Patience, Dedication.

Leave a comment:

• mikus
    replied
    Oh and also, it's not just punching. If it affects your structure, it'll affect *everything* that you do.

He carries a gun.
    THE Arnold Schwarzenegger.
    A man with a plan.

Leave a comment:

• mikus
    replied
    Nihilanthic: "how does neck position affect punching? The muscles responsible are situated in the chest, shoulders, triceps, and surrounding muscles..."

Me: "And nihilanthic, a punches' power shouldn't be generated purely by muscles..."

Nihilanthic: "mikus - no, it shouldn't, its mechanics and leverage. But without muscle you can't move at all. Better leverage means you use muscle better. Bigger muscles aren't bad now, are they?"

What the hell are you talking about? I never said nor implied that you can move without muscles. And the statement that without muscles you can't move at all is pretty meaningless. I suppose that if I want to say something as meaningless as what you're saying, I can say "Without structure you won't even *exist*!" whooaaaaaa....

But seriously, your first post suggests that only muscle affects punching. But nope. If it affects your body alignment, it WILL affect punching.

He carries a gun.
    THE Arnold Schwarzenegger.
    A man with a plan.

Leave a comment:

• 9chambers
    replied
    Its also not legal to hit someone in the throat in boxing.

Ali was fond of taunting his opponents and baiting them. He also had a lot of reach on a lot of fighters and he was taller than most, this allowed him to stay out of range by keeping his back straight. When being defensive (rope a dope) or up close he tucked his chin in and rounded his back like everyone else.

Edited by - 9chambers on May 18 2003 17:28:14

Leave a comment:

• PizDoff
    replied
    Middlemoor-And the fake fighters don't put the chin down right?
    bah...

Stold3-I've seen matches where boxers DON"T put the chin down...

and the SPORT of boxing is different than bare knuckle fighting, no bigass oven mitts to protect your hands and the other guy
    so you see boxing matches where people take hundreds of hits but in real life would only be able to stand maybe 10-20 hard hits?
    i don't know, i'm just making these numbers up

--

Leave a comment:

• Omar
    replied
    But Ali doesn't do that chin behind the shuolder thing.

BAH ! Puny Humans !

Leave a comment:

• Middlemoor
    replied
    Real fighters tuck thier chins in because they're battling real hitters. It might not be so important to tuck against a chump with no methods.

Leave a comment:

• Choke
    replied
    "And just because you saw one or two guys take a throat shot and not die, doesn't mean a whole lot. It still hurts a fucken lot, and I'll bet a good knife/ridge hand to the throat would be a fight stopper."

I don't doubt this. The instance I saw did end the fight! But it takes a very hard, very precise strike to destroy the trachea. Your more prone to jack someone's jaw in a fight than end the confrontation with a throat strike.

Cast in the name of God. Ye not guilty.

Leave a comment:

• Stold3
    replied
    The whole chin-tuck thing in boxing is based around the idea that, in a fight, you are going to get punched at least once and you don't want that punch to be a knockout. Considering the fact that often times in real fights you do get punched at least once, I'd say it has some merit.

Leave a comment:

• tangshou
    replied
    My traditional gongfu teacher who also does sanda kickboxing tells me to keep the head and back straight and relax the shoulders when doing forms, but to tuck the chin, round the back, and raise the shoulders whenever I fight, be it sanda or in real life (also when punching the bag, etc.).

Leave a comment:

• panda
    replied
    in general, chin down is good, if u break that rule know the risks u face and have a good reason to do it, its not a cardinal sin to untuck ur chin because an unhunched back allows u to move back and counter faster in terms of kicking

Leave a comment:

• elipson
    replied
    I just wanna say something about the the throat strike being hyped.

A brown belt in my JJJ class is a paramedic, and a few months ago I asked him this very question. He said that it is very possible to break someones trachea with a strike. Now you guys can make all the assumptions you want, but I'm gonna believe the paramedic because it's his business to know these things.

And just because you saw one or two guys take a throat shot and not die, doesn't mean a whole lot. It still hurts a fucken lot, and I'll bet a good knife/ridge hand to the throat would be a fight stopper.

"An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind"
    -Ghandi

Leave a comment:

• PizDoff
    replied
    thanks WTDude
    so it really depends on my stance....

--

Leave a comment:

• cyrijl
    replied
    i think chin down is the best option. When sparring it decreases the chances of a knockout or throat strike and when grappling prevents chokes. Keeping my chin down in krav has helped me not get choked in BJJ.

-----------------------------------------------------------
    "you think you're tough? try riding on the back of a moto in downtown Phnom Penh"---jzf

"i left my heart in laos, but my wallet in cambodia

Leave a comment:

• Simps
    replied
    I would definitely protect the throat, because even if the strike won't kill you, it will impair your breathing, focus and you will probably lose the fight.

Also, if your opponent has an Eagle Claw technique in their arsenal, I would be very careful about exposing your throat.

Simps

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X