Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keep your head/chin tucked in or not?

ok what is your opinion on this matter?

Should one's stance have the head/chin tucked in/slightly forward or not?

Just a minor point that I disagree with my Sifu on....

--
    Hard work, Patience, Dedication.
    (And my two creaky knees...)
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

https://www.instagram.com/bullshido/

Definitely. You want to find out whether or not you have a glass jaw, real fast? Stick your chin out.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    "The difference between us, and other martial arts websites you might be looking for, is that we're not going to feed you, well, bullshit about martial arts."
    -Phrost

Comment

Does the word "hook" come to mind?

How about "uppercut"

<Me> John, what do you know about Zen Buddhism? <John> *smacks me*
      <John> I'd have to smack you sometime...
      Katana, on 540 kicks: "Hang from a ceiling fan with both hands. Flail your feet out and ask people to walk into you as you hit their face."

Comment

I agree with my Sifu that the chin should not be tucked if it causes you to sacrifice your visibility. PizDoff, you do WC right? So you should be keeping your head back primarily anyway. There was one guy at a gym I used to go to who did WC. He would take on anyone who would step into the ring with him, and he often sparred boxers. They saw him keeping his chin up, and often made comments about how quick they would "light him up." Well, he never got knocked out once, he made these boxers look like idiots. So I think the answer would be... if you're constantly getting knocked in the chin, tuck it. OTherwise, leave it up.

--A poor band player I was, but now I am crocodile king. --
        Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
        "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Comment

Rotate your head 180 degrees so your jaw and eyes are out of danger.

--------
          El Guapo says, ""You can buy muscles, but you can't buy COJONES!"
          --------
          The Wastrel - So attractive he HAS to be a woman.
          - Pizdoff

Comment

LOL

Comment

FoM is correct. Then use your sixth sense and chi power to crush your opponent. I mean... since we're sticking with realism here.

--A poor band player I was, but now I am crocodile king. --
              Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
              "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Comment

If you really want to make your sifu cringe lift your shoulders a bit while tucking your chin.

Comment

If you ever go up agains a half decent boxer, you will learn very fast that you need to keep the cin nice and tucked. Don't take my word for it, try it for yourself.
                  You say what about my rice?

Comment

tuck tuck tuck. Anything else is silly.

ummm hey guys should I spar with one hand up my ass? would that be good?

---------
                    Shut up and train

Comment

I guess you could suprise him by punching out of your own mouth ?

--------
                      El Guapo says, ""You can buy muscles, but you can't buy COJONES!"
                      --------
                      The Wastrel - So attractive he HAS to be a woman.
                      - Pizdoff

Comment

My WC teacher has us having the chin up also, though I'm not entirely sold on the idea.

Comment

your chin should be dropped enough to protect your throat from a strike. this will have the also protect against the dreaded chin strike as well.

peace.

<marquee>LIUSEONGPOEKULANPENTJAKKUNTAOSILATREDANTINDONESIANGUNGFU</marquee>

Comment

In Wing Tsun, like Wing Chun, we're also taught to keep the chin up. I'm not entirely convinced its a good idea for the reasons previously given. I'm told its to keep your head further away from your opponent.

Comment

I think some of you misunderstand the question. I assume the question isn't "Should you stick you chin out?" It's a choice between keeping your head up straight or opt for a more tucked in stance like the way som boxers will tuck their chin down and bring the shoulder up to protect it.

When you do the 'boxers hunch', for lack of a better term, you keep your chin and face a little better shielded but you sacrifice a certain amount of spinal alignment. If I'm really fighting from the inside it seems to work well for me, especially vs. someone taller than me. For the most part though, I feel keeping the head up and back gives me a little more agility and a better overall awareness of my oponent.

In both poses, the chin is tucked. In the boxer type pose just more so and there's the accompanying raise of the lead shoulder. I think this touches on another question: Do you watch his body or his eyes? The hunched position makes it damn near impossible to watch his eyes. Being an eye watcher I prefer the more upright stance but I do switch between both, depending on my opponent.

BAH ! Puny Humans !
                              Fighting evil and upholding justice in blue silk pajamas baby!
                              http://youtube.com/watch?v=UGaYD_wcaIg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Uepo9ahg-M

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Comment

Working...
                              X