No announcement yet.

Keep your head/chin tucked in or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We're taught to kind of imagine a string attached to the top, back part of your head, and also the ceiling. So the back of your head is kinda propped up. It keeps your spine aligned well and also tucks your chin a bit. Not nearly as much as a boxer's stance, but it seems a helluva lot better than just leaving your chin hanging out to get smacked around.

And nihilanthic, a punches' power shouldn't be generated purely by muscles...

He carries a gun.
    THE Arnold Schwarzenegger.
    A man with a plan.
    You want some birth control? You can smoke a cigarette.

Comment

SD,

It was a spinning ridge hand with the palm up. He was wearing point sparring gloves, light vynyl, tiger claws to be specific. It caught him square in the throat as far as i could see. It was a brutal shot.

Cast in the name of God. Ye not guilty.
      "The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time."

-- George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I think this issue has something to do with the footwork you use. In my style, we generally keep all of our bodyweight on the rear leg, keep the head back, and hands somewhat outstretched. In this style it seems better to keep the chin up. If you are leaning forward with some weight on the front leg, then it seems like a good idea to tuck the chin in (also in grappling or if falling backward).

You can't make a man by standing a sheep on its hindlegs but if you get a group of men together you can create a herd of sheep.

Comment

mikus - no, it shouldn't, its mechanics and leverage. But without muscle you can't move at all. Better leverage means you use muscle better. Bigger muscles aren't bad now, are they?

<Me> John, what do you know about Zen Buddhism? <John> *smacks me*
          <John> I'd have to smack you sometime...
          Katana, on 540 kicks: "Hang from a ceiling fan with both hands. Flail your feet out and ask people to walk into you as you hit their face."

Comment

I think the chin up thing is common in WC. I am just a little self -conscious about using it sometimes. I suppose one can tuck the chin as one moves in.

Comment

I would definitely protect the throat, because even if the strike won't kill you, it will impair your breathing, focus and you will probably lose the fight.

Also, if your opponent has an Eagle Claw technique in their arsenal, I would be very careful about exposing your throat.

Simps

Comment

i think chin down is the best option. When sparring it decreases the chances of a knockout or throat strike and when grappling prevents chokes. Keeping my chin down in krav has helped me not get choked in BJJ.

-----------------------------------------------------------
                "you think you're tough? try riding on the back of a moto in downtown Phnom Penh"---jzf

"i left my heart in laos, but my wallet in cambodia
                There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.

Comment

thanks WTDude
                  so it really depends on my stance....

--
                  Hard work, Patience, Dedication.
                  Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

https://www.instagram.com/bullshido/

Comment

I just wanna say something about the the throat strike being hyped.

A brown belt in my JJJ class is a paramedic, and a few months ago I asked him this very question. He said that it is very possible to break someones trachea with a strike. Now you guys can make all the assumptions you want, but I'm gonna believe the paramedic because it's his business to know these things.

And just because you saw one or two guys take a throat shot and not die, doesn't mean a whole lot. It still hurts a fucken lot, and I'll bet a good knife/ridge hand to the throat would be a fight stopper.

"An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind"
                    -Ghandi

Comment

in general, chin down is good, if u break that rule know the risks u face and have a good reason to do it, its not a cardinal sin to untuck ur chin because an unhunched back allows u to move back and counter faster in terms of kicking

Comment

My traditional gongfu teacher who also does sanda kickboxing tells me to keep the head and back straight and relax the shoulders when doing forms, but to tuck the chin, round the back, and raise the shoulders whenever I fight, be it sanda or in real life (also when punching the bag, etc.).

Comment

The whole chin-tuck thing in boxing is based around the idea that, in a fight, you are going to get punched at least once and you don't want that punch to be a knockout. Considering the fact that often times in real fights you do get punched at least once, I'd say it has some merit.
                          Brendayan
                          Fury's Edge
                          Morell-Thule

Comment

"And just because you saw one or two guys take a throat shot and not die, doesn't mean a whole lot. It still hurts a fucken lot, and I'll bet a good knife/ridge hand to the throat would be a fight stopper."

I don't doubt this. The instance I saw did end the fight! But it takes a very hard, very precise strike to destroy the trachea. Your more prone to jack someone's jaw in a fight than end the confrontation with a throat strike.

Cast in the name of God. Ye not guilty.
                            "The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time."

-- George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Real fighters tuck thier chins in because they're battling real hitters. It might not be so important to tuck against a chump with no methods.

Comment

But Ali doesn't do that chin behind the shuolder thing.

BAH ! Puny Humans !
                                Fighting evil and upholding justice in blue silk pajamas baby!
                                http://youtube.com/watch?v=UGaYD_wcaIg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Uepo9ahg-M

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X