X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

p.s. Pizdoff:

Which way does your Sifu prefer?

BAH ! Puny Humans !
    Fighting evil and upholding justice in blue silk pajamas baby!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=UGaYD_wcaIg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Uepo9ahg-M

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Comment

yeah, I have to agree with kuntaokid. I'm more worried about being hit in the throat than anywhere else.

Comment

Actually, I don't worry about being hit in the throat at all. The reason is - I've never seen or heared of it actually happening and causing real damage. I've been hit there a couple of times, but shrugged it off and kept fighting. I think that the dreaded throat strike is along the lines of a whole lot of other deadly moves - a fairy tale.

As far as bringing your lead shoulder up a little - I would very much suggest doing it. If you get used to that fightg stance, you will see that it's quite comfortable, and offers a great compromise between offence and defence. A good place to turn to for things like that is Pride UFC and whatnot - whatever stance is adopted by the fighters there is the stance that WORKS.
        You say what about my rice?

Comment

1st. Thanks all for coming to my party thread!
          Drinks on Asia!

No glass jaw on me...
          TaeBo Master- Ok I see....I'll have to practice the first form on one leg more now.....(not that i ever)
          Fingermoon-Excellent advice!

PST- "My WC teacher has us having the chin up also, though I'm not entirely sold on the idea."

This sentence is the mystery sentence that is missing from my first post.

--
          Hard work, Patience, Dedication.
          Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

https://www.instagram.com/bullshido/

Comment

Omar-Good post. Finally someone that understands MY question....

But you couldn't seem to connect the "my Sifu" part and Wing Chun. My Wing Chun Sifu says keep the head/chin up and back.

--
            Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Comment

How does tucking your chin sacrifice visibility? ..

You aren't supposed to glue your chin to your chest, you just lower your head and raise your shoulders enough so that you can easily guard your chin with your shoulders from the sides. Your arms protect you from the front.

I guess it depends on how you punch. WC punches use a different type of leverage that you can't get with your chin down and your back hunched. If your back is straight then you can't hide behind your shoulders.

Edited by - 9chambers on May 15 2003 16:37:23

Comment

how does neck position affect punching? The muscles responsible are situated in the chest, shoulders, triceps, and surrounding muscles...

<Me> John, what do you know about Zen Buddhism? <John> *smacks me*
                <John> I'd have to smack you sometime...
                Katana, on 540 kicks: "Hang from a ceiling fan with both hands. Flail your feet out and ask people to walk into you as you hit their face."

Comment

"I guess it depends on how you punch. WC punches use a different type of leverage that you can't get with your chin down and your back hunched. If your back is straight then you can't hide behind your shoulders."

It does? ok whatever you say.....

i personally have a different stance myself, non Wing Chun.....again my own style of martial arts...

--

Comment

Have your chin tucked always. It protects from getting your jaw jacked, chokes are harder to apply, and it keeps your head from bouncing off the ground if you get put on your ass.

Hapko3 is dead on about throat strikes being hyped. A senior blackbelt in my ryu took a spinning hand strike to the throat that knocked him down. He was coughing for a long time and people wanted to call for paramedics but he refused. A couple hours later he was eating dinner just fine. While it can get someone coughing for a bit a strike to the throat is hardly a fight stopper and it's definitely not a reliable killing technique.

Cast in the name of God. Ye not guilty.
                    "The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time."

-- George Bernard Shaw

Comment

My two cents, I train chin down. I could understand the need for keeping your field of vision as open as possible when dealing with multiple attackers (assuming you can't just run).

But most of the time if you're in a fight it's going to be one on one. I actually train using a little gimick from Ringside boxing gear called "Chin down". It's basically a small pillow attached to an elastic "necklace". You hold the pillow against your chest with your chin while training, and it conditions you to keep it down. I like to force myself to do pushups every time I drop it, but that's just me.

Comment

Hapko3 is dead on about throat strikes being hyped. A senior blackbelt in my ryu took a spinning hand strike to the throat that knocked him down. He was coughing for a long time and people wanted to call for paramedics but he refused. A couple hours later he was eating dinner just fine. While it can get someone coughing for a bit a strike to the throat is hardly a fight stopper and it's definitely not a reliable killing technique.
                        Could you give more details ? Was guy wearing boxing gloves who hit the throat ? Was it dead on to the throat or glancing of neck or shoulder ?

My vote is to keep the chin down. Since I am shorter than a lot of the guys I work out with I have needlessly developed the habit bringing the chin up to see what is going on and a couple people have punished me for it.

SD

Comment

I naturally have my chin down anyway when I fight, and I do it FOR keeping my field of vision.

By looking not at my opponents eyes, shoulders, center, or wherever else I've been told to look over the years, I look at an imgainary spot on the ground about 6 feet in front of me. This gives me a difused focus type of vision limits unnecessary visual input and better use of my periphal vison.

I don't need to read what the guys T-shirt says as he attacks me, or see something twenty feet across the room. I do need to see if soemone is moving in on me from the side or slightly behind. Doing what I doing gives me almost 270 degrees of vision at least 2 or 3 feet away from me, with only directly behind me completely obscure.

It also has the added benefits of what other people have said about keeping your chin down.

<marquee>Dragon , Snake , Tiger , Leopard , Crane. R.M.F.A.F.T.A.T.! </marquee>

Comment

I've been hit in the neck hard enough for me to remember it a couple of times. Once, the guy was wearing grappling gloves and hit me with a cross. The other time, it was a spinning back kick and he was wearing sneakers.

------------------------
                            I remain, Hapko3
                            You say what about my rice?

Comment

Well, PizDoff.. if you're using a stance other than a typical WC stance, then the argument between you and your Sifu doesn't really matter much. The answer is gonna depend on your stance, and since your stance differs from your Sifu's, it makes sense that you would disagree. And to enlighten most of the people around here... in a WC/WT stance, you can't hide your chin behind your shoulder.

--A poor band player I was, but now I am crocodile king. --
                              Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
                              "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Comment

*shrug*
                                If I can pretty much "beat" most other people I train with then it works for me. Whatever stance or hand position I use doesn't work against my Sifu.....

So recently on TSN I saw some old footage of boxers from the earlier part of the last century. One boxer had a very very low crouched stance, bent at the waist. The other one had a straight back, head up, no chin tucked in position.
                                Very interesting fight.

--

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X