Another close encounter.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another close encounter.

Read Darkpaladin's (love the avatar) close encounter story with interest and it reminded me of my last close encounter.

I was checking out a new gym to join and was being shown round by one of the staff. During the general chit-chat it was brought up that I did martial arts. We were in the aerobics room which had a heavybag and he let loose a few backfists to the bag. I asked what he did and he said "tae ki do". I'd never heard of it so I assumed it was some sort of sillyness, especially as it seemed to be made up of the words "tae kwon do" and "aikido". I asked what it was and he said it was created by guys who wanted a harder form of tae kwon do. I mentioned that I had been getting into Brazilian jujitsu, and he said that jujitsu was great stuff because you can just tap someone on the back and make them fall over, which looks good on the security cameras if you happen to get caught on one. I realised that he must have believed that jujitsu was some sort of Steven Segal magic.

He talked about some of his sparring matches and I asked what safety equipment he used, he said "nothing". I looked surprised and asked if he sparred bare knuckle and he said that they pulled thier punches inches before contact. Point sparring. We talked about other things and I mentioned that some schools of martial arts believe that you need years of kata before you can spar and he said that such is required so you have enough "control" (ie; you know how to miss a person during point sparring).

It occured to me that when you hang on bullshido you forget that many (most?) people out there don't know about aliveness, MMA, BJJ, mixing striking with clinch and groundfighting, UFC and so on. Even fewer have ever sampled any of this type, of training. Whenever I touched on these subjects he kind of ignored it and kept talking about his taikido stuff.

For most of recent martial arts history, kata, repetition, point sparring, tapping people and launching them across the room aikido style and more kata was the hegemony. A lot of people aren't deliberatly bullshido, they just aren't aware of the latest developments in martial arts.

Reminds me of my conversation with a friend who had been doing TKD for 10 years. He talked about how hard his training was, how he had to do so many push-ups, etc. And when I asked him how frequently he sparred, he said once a month. I asked him how he knew what he was learning worked, and his response was "Well the instructor told us what worked."

Whatever happened to skepticism? I don't understand how these people, especially in your case, don't realize "Hey, there are gloves and cups and protective gear galore available today. Why don't we use those instead of pull our punches?" Why don't they bloody realize to pull a punch is not a good phrase in the English language?!

Comment

I know what you mean about hanging out on Bullshido too much. I still run into aikido-ka (geeks LOVE Aikido apparently) who never spar or people who don't know what Jujutsu is. It surprises me everytime.

Comment

Everyone wants to believe that they are hardcore. Near every action is propigated by selfishness or insecurity.

Who wants to admit "I do pansy shit."?

Comment

What was bad for me was that in the area I'm in, there was the Shaolin Do place and a bunch of take-your-dough schools, so it seemed so good in comparison, but now I'm a little embittered about wasting seven years on it when I should have just buckled up and commuted to a good school (which I am doing now). The pervasiveness of Bullshido and Mcdojoism is nauseating.

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taekido

Comment

So.... Taekido = The Way of the Breathing Foot?

Comment

sounds like they have a foot fungus.

Comment

Perhaps they meant to use "breath" to mean inhaling deeply, as to savor a rich odor. Thus "Tae Ki Do" would translate as "The Way of Smelling Feet."

Comment

I do pansy shit.

Comment

How is it that that wikipedia entry is still there?

Comment

Pansy shit and smelly feet? I always wondered where all the hippies went...

Comment

virus, did you mean to say that pulling your punches during sparring = point sparring?

Comment

True Martial Arrts mix Korean and Japanese. All Asian languages are the same right?

Comment

Originally posted by amichaell
                              virus, did you mean to say that pulling your punches during sparring = point sparring?
                              shut up chunner. He didn't say that, he said they do bare knucjle controlled point sparring. Now go Chao Sao.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X