• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spiritual Cultivation in the Martial Arts

Go away I'm talking to myself

Comment

not worth my time.

If this is what get this guy and his students in the gym/dojo or whatever fine.

Comment

"To me, the proof of the pudding is this: if karate helps build a superior moral, ethical, and personable human being, then why are so many senior instructors of karate such pricks? Just where are all of these perfected characters at that karate has been producing for the last 80 years?" - Shotokan Planet

Comment

Go out and get your wallet enlightened. I am sure you can find some MA instructor to do it.

Sifu Emin - Did you see that?
          Me - (gasping) No, but I can't breathe yet.

Comment

I agree that martial arts (or any form of hard physical activity) will teach you more about yourself. However, this:

"To know oneself is to know your opponent"

is utter horseshit.

Thank you, goodnight.

--------
            El Guapo says, ""You can buy muscles, but you can't buy COJONES!"
            --------
            The Wastrel - So attractive he HAS to be a woman.
            - Pizdoff

Comment

LIUSEONGPOEKULANPENTJAKKUNTAOSILATREDANTINDONESIANGUNGFU</marquee>

Edited by - kuntaokid on May 14 2003 00:55:16

Comment

"Spirituality" is one area of growth and evolution teachers should never interfere with or expect from others. If the teacher's understanding has a spiritual basis to it, it'll be most evident in deeds and character. That's all..

Look at the kind of man Funakoshi was. Kano, Oyama, et al. Their respective systems wouldn't even exist unless those men had such strong human qualities. They lived their art in every thought and motion. That's what really made them great. Their true legacy is often lost in pursuit of the perfect fist.

Comment

"Look at the kind of man Funakoshi was. Kano, Oyama, et al."

According to Jon Bluming, Oyama sent 2 yakuza guys to New York to shoot a former Oyama student in the knees.

Just thought I'd mention it.

Comment

i don't want someone who i have to fight to say "He has great moral character"...i want him to say "Whr me teet?"

-----------------------------------------------------------
                    "you think you're tough? try riding on the back of a moto in downtown Phnom Penh"---jzf

"i left my heart in laos, but my wallet in cambodia
                    There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.

Comment

Well, I knew this post would end up being flame bait but what the heck. It's a good thing we don't all think a like. I would hate to walk around with the mind of some people on this forum. Live and learn. As someone from this forum once said........ I was a toughguy once but then I grew up!

Comment

i don't want someone who i have to fight to say "He has great moral character"...i want him to say "Whr me teet?"
                        Haha exactly my thoughts on the subject. I'll demonstrate my morality in how I live my life, not how I beat the ass of someone who's threatening it.

Comment

honestly, i have learned some things since beginning MA's. (1) it hurts to get hit, so try not to. This isn't a morality lesson, it's pragmatics (2) I leanred how far i can push myself before i feel like giving up...it isn't discipline, it's testing.

If i want to be a good person, i can move into a wat and contemplate the good life, not get hit by people for several hours a week.

"you think you're tough? try riding on the back of a moto in downtown Phnom Penh"---jzf

Comment

I have a question - how does learning to fight like a monkey or a preying mantis, or learning to use the "reptile brain" help you to evolve spiritually?

Comment

giving so much money away to some scam dojo makes you a better person because you realize money and material goods are fleeting at best.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X