X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Real Kung Fu...it is possible.

Any video?

Comment

Good kung fu is possible, but so is winning the lottery on the same day you suffer from a spontaneous mutation that enlarges your penis.
      Originally posted by The Wastrel
      I think the forum's traditionally light-handed approach to moderation has become untenable.

Comment

The main problem with "Kung Fu" is its attraction to exotic, low-no percentage techniques and ineffecient movement under the assumption that if you train in them long enough (usually through forms or compliant partner drills), you'll be able to pull them off in a real fight.

But unfortunately, when they're tested in non-stop, full contact sparring, they often resemble little more than crappy kickboxing. This is because there are only so many ways one can strike another person, and almost every single one of them is used in kickboxing or other combat sports.

So what does "real" kung fu look like? Watch Cung Le. If you're not training to strike like he does, you're probably just performing a choreographed, sinophilistic, masturbatory exercise.

Comment

Actually quite a lot of 'real' kung fu involves less jumping around and high kicking than he manages to pull off, but I take your point.
          !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Comment

There's nothing wrong with coming out and laying your biases on the table. If you're honest about who you are, people cannot attack you for that. Hiding it is a much shadier move.

As for real kung fu, I believe in it, but I have yet to see it happen in the UFC. What I'm looking for is a kung fu based low percentage move, ala flying knee or spinning backfist, but from a kung fu style. Maybe a close range stomping elbow to the body?
            52 blocks documentary: arrived

"Joe Lauzon looks like a quiet, Internet guy..." -- Dana White

Comment

Originally posted by meng_mao
              As for real kung fu, I believe in it, but I have yet to see it happen in the UFC. What I'm looking for is a kung fu based low percentage move, ala flying knee or spinning backfist, but from a kung fu style. Maybe a close range stomping elbow to the body?
              Got Lotus Sweep ?
              !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Comment

Originally posted by Cullion
                Actually quite a lot of 'real' kung fu involves less jumping around and high kicking than he manages to pull off, but I take your point.

My style of muay thai involves a lot of jumping around these days. Unfortunately, Kat's style involves the deadly mortal kombat sweep.
                Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Cullion

That sweep at the start of the video is one I've been trying to get off on people ever since I first saw Buakaw using it in all his fights.
                  Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Comment

General advice: remember it isn't so important what you call your technique. I think if you spend too much time thinking in terms of one system (i.e. caring if something is specifically "kung fu" or not) or another you're just wasting mental energy.
                    Lone Wolf McQuade Final Fight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmrDe_mYUXg

Comment

Originally posted by Kidspatula
                      My style of muay thai involves a lot of jumping around these days. Unfortunately, Kat's style involves the deadly mortal kombat sweep.
                      video proof http://www.bullshido.net/gallery/sho...o/1968/cat/506

Comment

Originally posted by Wounded Ronin
                        General advice: remember it isn't so important what you call your technique. I think if you spend too much time thinking in terms of one system (i.e. caring if something is specifically "kung fu" or not) or another you're just wasting mental energy.
                        techniques should have names that are easily identifiable though, so people can exchange ideas without always getting on the mat. Though, maybe they should...
                        52 blocks documentary: arrived

"Joe Lauzon looks like a quiet, Internet guy..." -- Dana White

Comment

Sup dude.

Hey, does your style have any relation to Lung Ying?
                          Originally posted by Exodus
                          Helio was submitted by Kimura

Comment

Originally posted by Phrost
                            The main problem with "Kung Fu" is its attraction to exotic, low-no percentage techniques and ineffecient movement under the assumption that if you train in them long enough (usually through forms or compliant partner drills), you'll be able to pull them off in a real fight.

But unfortunately, when they're tested in non-stop, full contact sparring, they often resemble little more than crappy kickboxing. This is because there are only so many ways one can strike another person, and almost every single one of them is used in kickboxing or other combat sports.

So what does "real" kung fu look like? Watch Cung Le. If you're not training to strike like he does, you're probably just performing a choreographed, sinophilistic, masturbatory exercise.
                            Don't watch Cung Le! Watch Marvin Perry! Argh!

Comment

Originally posted by TehDeadlyDimMak
                              Don't watch Cung Le! Watch Marvin Perry! Argh!
                              are there videos of his fights online? If so I'd love to see some.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X