Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Distance to your training center

Hi all,
    Just wondering, what distance do you travel to your training center of choice ?

What distance would you be willing to travel ?
    (list in minutes instead of km/miles so we're all on the same wavelength..:).)

Currently I travel 25 minutes and feel this is about my limit.
    However, I found out about some very good MMA here in Victoria, Australia that range from about 45 min - 1h15min away.

That sort of distance is an issue to me. It'll feel like I do nothing but work, drive around, and train. I'm not sure where I'd fit in sleeping and eating (as well as that whole wacky 'relaxing' thing).

How 'bout you?

--------
    El Guapo says, ""You can buy muscles, but you can't buy COJONES!"
    --------
    The Wastrel - So attractive he HAS to be a woman.
    - Pizdoff

To the dojo -- 5 min. bike ride from my apartment.

To the gym -- 5 min. walk from a train station I go through on my way to/from work.

Im with you re: not liking travelling to train. A friend of mine has invited me to check out his shooto/BJJ/kickboxing gym (run by a pro and with occasional "celebrity" appearances). But going there for evening classes would add at least an hour onto my commute, leaving me with about 0 minutes/day to do anything but eat, sleep, work, train.

(Incidentally, I moved into a new place last December but wouldn't even look at apartments more than a 15 min. ride from my current dojo.)

Comment

My dojo is about 45 min drive from my home. I am willing to travel as long as a hour and half or even 2 hours. But I know that Kit Cope drive 4 or 5 hours to Ca every weekend to train in grappling.

"Most likely to get hit by a meteor shower: Ballonknot" By PizDoff

maybe he is afraid we will all realise he is an angry 4 foot midget
      (PizDoff's comment about KFSS not showing up at McThrowdown)
      I would pick bag work over masturbating, fighting over sex, and KOing someone over having a orgasm!

Comment

1 Hour.
        And that's when I figured out that tears couldn't make somebody who was dead alive again. There's another thing to learn about tears, they can't make somebody who doesn't love you any more love you again. It's the same with prayers. I wonder how much of their lives people waste crying and praying to God. If you ask me, the devil makes more sense than God does. I can at least see why people would want him around. It's good to have somebody to blame for the bad stuff they do. Maybe God's there because people get scared of all the bad stuff they do. They figure that God and the Devil are always playing this game of tug-of-war game with them. And they never know which side they're gonna wind up on. I guess that tug-of-war idea explains how sometimes, even when people try to do something good, it still turns out bad.

Comment

Depends on a lot of factors like how many times a week you have to make the trip, how long you train each time you go there, how much better the training is than stuff that is closer, and how serious you are.

When I first moved back into town, it was a big bonus that my new place was only a block away from my old dojo. I could pop in anytime I wanted. I have since moved again, and now I have to drive across town (about 20 minute) to get there so I really only make it there for formal classes or set work outs with a few buddies of mine. All of my spur of the moment training is now done at home.

My parents used to drive my sister 80 miles one way everday for gymnastics training. The practices were like 5 hours long though, and they were counting on her winning a gold medal. Too bad she started growing like crazy when she hit puberty.

Comment

I can walk to yoga in 25 minutes (so, about 5 min drive).

I train 1/2 hour away from where I live, and I'd drive three times that if I had to.

"I'm willing to bet I could fuck up an emu real good, if I got the drop on the bastard."
            -- KC Elbows, my new hero.
            Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Comment

i wouldnt want to spend more than 30 mins getting there, usually takes me about 15 mins to jog to dojo; always wanted to train in japan tho, anybody read that article in onthemat.com?

Comment

Less than 5 minutes to head out to Karate classes held in my communities rec. center. When I lived in the dorms the commute was 30-45 min. away depending on how bad traffic was. In South Florida either you can get anywhere in 20 min. on the highways or it takes forever if there is an accident.

Cast in the name of God. Ye not guilty.
                "The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time."

-- George Bernard Shaw

Comment

It takes 2Hours via train, then 30mins on the underground then 15mins walk.

I wouldn't usually go this far to train, but I've found an exceptional school so i'm willing to go the extra distance.

Comment

I train about 25 miles away from where I live, but I work only 20 miles away, so my classes take me about 30 minutes to get to (really bad traffic).
                    Taking responsibility for my actions since 1989

Comment

My Dojang is across the street :)

Too bad that the place where I used to do Praying Mantis changed their practice times, can't go anymore. That was about a 10 minute bike ride away.

I don't understand why people use a car to go to the gym/dojo/dojang. Isn't that ironic and very much hyppocryte?

Simps

Comment

"I don't understand why people use a car to go to the gym/dojo/dojang. Isn't that ironic and very much hyppocryte?"

My gym has an elevator from the 1st to the 2nd floor. A good half of the people who go there never walk up the stairs.

Comment

That is so retarded. I bike/walk to a gym. It's a good warm up and extra exercise.

Simps

Comment

My training centre is about 3mins walk away.

A 6th dan black belt in bastardry.

"Damn you! You dirty fighter." My sparring partner, also disabled, recovering from being bitten.
                            What am I?:

I am ignorant, thieving, lying, hypocrital, violent and thoroughly self obssessed. I steal from others to make myself look better, only to make the item or information worse.

I go on and on and ON about how brave and strong and brilliant and wealthy I am, but in the end I'm all mouth and no trousers.

That's right children, I'm your average AMERICUNT! and I exemplify AMERICA!:911flag:

:occasion1

JohnnyCache's "retort" proving how much he knows about medicine and geography and First World countries:
                            http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...=78188&page=22

Yes, through persistent lack of work and the cultivation of ignorance, he is a true American.

Comment

I would do something other than drive to my school if it weren't for the fact that it's over 10 miles away, and thus would take me a REALLY long time to get there by walking or running.... besides I really don't have the stamina to run 10 miles....

--A poor band player I was, but now I am crocodile king. --
                              Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
                              "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X