Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beatdown Richie
    replied
    Richie: You have a point. I've read the story that you're referring to. I think that in this case, the grad. student handled it incorrectly - the situation could have and should have been handled without the use of force.
    Sure, I agree. But it wasn't, which is my point.

To be honest, I am not all that concerned about self defence. I don't carry a gun or a knife. I did carry a knife when I was a kid in Russia, though, and I've used it on occasion.
    That's true - whether you should carry a weapon depends on the probability of a serious encounter. (I'm not saying that no matter how bad your neighborhood is, you are better off unarmed - but for the typical person in a typical, not-too-bad neighborhood...)

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Manfredsengenten
    replied
    "I don't know about you, but just knowing that a knife sits in my pocket changes my outlook on possible confrontations, and that is *dangerous*."

I agree, but just to play Devil's Advocate, the same could be said of someone with exceptional fighting skills. Mike Tyson's knowledge that he can beat most people in one on one fighting is probably the biggest reason why he's so dangerous to himself and others. It certainly makes one more confrontational and less likely to back off when appropriate. People sometimes die in unarmed encounters too. It's very easy to imagine the scenario you described with the knife replaced by an unlucky fall on concrete, or some such.

Leave a comment:

• HAPKO3
    replied
    I have been in plenty of fights, some of which were neccesary. I never felt the need to kill somebody though. Pounding or running sufficed.
    Or getting pounded and crawling...

Leave a comment:

• HAPKO3
    replied
    Richie: You have a point. I've read the story that you're referring to. I think that in this case, the grad. student handled it incorrectly - the situation could have and should have been handled without the use of force.

To be honest, I am not all that concerned about self defence. I don't carry a gun or a knife. I did carry a knife when I was a kid in Russia, though, and I've used it on occasion. Since having a weapon on me is not new to me, I don't notice any real change in mindset when I happen to have one in my pocket, but I can see hot it can affect other people.

Leave a comment:

• Beatdown Richie
    replied
    HAPKO3:
    I agree with what you say about self-defense, except for the part with getting a gun. Since the scenarios that actually require use of a gun or knife are so much rarer than those that could have been defused, the possible disadvantage of having a weapon in the latter case can outweigh the advantages of having them when they are needed.

Here's one example that I read about recently: a grad student at a reputable university and some teenager with a record as a petty criminal get into an argument, then a fight - nothing too serious yet, probably. The grad student carries a pocket knife for self defense. He stabs the other dude a couple of times. After the fight, the other guy hesitates to go the hospital, and finally bleeds to death.

Now what do you have? One person dead, one person (who had not been in any trouble before) charged with murder - because of a frigging pocket knife.

If someone gets himself into the mindset required for using a weapon in an emergency, there is always the risk of a false alarm. I don't know about you, but just knowing that a knife sits in my pocket changes my outlook on possible confrontations, and that is *dangerous*.

Leave a comment:

• HAPKO3
    replied
    MMA_Phil : The point that I was making is that self defence very rarely comes down to fighting, and the very little part of it that does is better handled by a gun.

If you want to protect your life, get a gun, and don't be stupid.

If you want to learn how to kick ass, do martial arts.

All of this "martial arts for self defence" is little more than a sales gimmick if you ask me.

Leave a comment:

• MMA_Phil
    replied
    I think the best self defence (apart from avoidance/awareness) is to learn to fight. If all you have are a couple of self defence tricks then you'll be in a world of hurt if they fail.

Leave a comment:

• Punisher
    replied
    I don't get it, yeah I sometime assist at self defense classes and taught my own in college. That is the basis of "We".

And by now you have probably read that I think the things in the Gracie self-defense book are basically bullshit too, and I never meant to "defend" them.

Leave a comment:

• Punisher
    replied
    "SD sadly relys on a one-(fill in the blank)-one-kill mentality much of the time. That shit'll get you raped."

Good training doesn't. If you are forced to fight, we teach that you keep attacking until there is no more threat. This doesn't mean beating the guy to death, in fact just the opposite, but you going until there is a chance to escape or the guy stop actively resisting you. We make no claims on when that will be.

Leave a comment:

• Punisher
    replied
    "Does somebody want to define the differences between self defence and fighting?"

It totally depends on who the aggressor is and if what you are chosing to do is meant to escalate the encounter or exstinguish it.

Self-defense and fighting have very little in common, they are too separate things that can exsit totally indepentent of each other.

You can defend yourself without fighting and you can fight in a manner that is not in accordance with the definition of self-defense.

Like I mentioned before, it is basically all about your mental mindset and the extent of your actions. If your mind is filled anger and thoughts of payback, your probably not defending yourself and if you keep attacking and causing for damage long after you really have too your definitely not.

Leave a comment:

• 9chambers
    replied
    Ok, well .. something that only works 5% of the time may get you into more trouble than doing something normal. I mean, lets say a girl just wanted to run but some SD instructor told her to use a palm thrust to the nose and it would kill him. She does it and he grabs her and beats her up when she might have gotten away otherwise.

Leave a comment:

• MMA_Phil
    replied
    Does somebody want to define the differences between self defence and fighting?
    Self defence equals pre-emptive striking? Otherwise surely you are fighting.

Leave a comment:

• PizDoff
    replied
    heh

Saddam got Bushwacked!
    well he deserved it...
    yet the facet of truth glimmers brightly! (i'm a poet of sorts)

Punisher-Much better.
    Hapko3-stop double posting! you can delete your reply!

Punisher-" Even police officers and professional soliders are often not fully prepared for the extreme mental and emotional toll it takes on someone when they forced to blow someones brains out and watch another human being suffer and die right before their own very eyes."
    According to studies done by an ex-general or officer of some sort from America, less than half of the soldiers fired at or aimed to kill another human being in WW1 and WW2.....

You can find more info on that somewhere, probably more accurate, i'm just speaking from memory.
    That's why the "modern" military does so many drills and target shooting and live fire exercises to desensitize and acclimitize the soldiers so that it becomes "almost" second nature in a situation.

The same for "self-defense" and martial arts and fighting.

--
    Hard work, Patience, Dedication.
    (And my two creaky knees...)

Leave a comment:

• FingerorMoon?
    replied
    Sorry, I live in Texas. If someone smarts off to me, I have to fuck them up (part of the culture).
    That probably explains the Iraq war better than anything else so far.

--------
    El Guapo says, ""You can buy muscles, but you can't buy COJONES!"
    --------

Leave a comment:

• Punisher
    replied
    "Yep, it does look like we're on the same page. It looks like youre doing the right things. I just don't think you can be effective given two hours. A few months... maybe... and that's for people, mostly men, that are strong enough and fit enough to be gin with."

All I can say is that we test them to the fullest of our and their ability and try to have them better off after walking out the door then they were coming in.

The amount of time given to the fighting over the other class elements is chosen to give the most benefit possible for time spent. The moves don't have to be done text-book perfect, just well enough to do the job. We keep things as simple and broad as possible. We only focus on three of four basic strikes, and try to equate them to physical movement people have done in other activities.

Like I said before, the most important part comes at the end. The only thing we can't really teach or give the student is that mental/emotional self-defense "it" factor, that allows them not think and just act when the shit hits the fan. We can demonstrate it, and we can talk about it, but we can't make someone actually do it if they don't have it in them.

I've instructed 100 lb women that I wouldn't want to mess with BEFORE we taught them the physcial skills we offer, simply becuase of their mental/emotional outlook on life. I've also instructed 300 lb men who would put themselves in extreme danger and get wasted in a real life encounter, either becuase they thought their size made them invincble or they just didn't have whatever it takes to "turn it on" when it really was necessary.

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X