your opinions please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

your opinions please

I'm thinking of checking this place out. What do you think? I think the price is pretty good for all you get...

http://www.alexwilkie.aikidesigns.com/Schedule.html

Looks pretty good to me mate. Only way to be sure is to go check it out. I love this bit:

"Are you training hard enough to save yourself in a real attack?

ADMIT IT.

You're not sure!"
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Comment

It's 2006 people, Jesus Christ stop paying for websites that look like complete ass.

GG
      MMA Record vs Llamas 0-1-0
      (The Llama bit my junk but the ref didn't see it).

Comment

Originally posted by Gringo Grande
        It's 2006 people, Jesus Christ stop paying for websites that look like complete ass.

GG

Comment

I'm going to have to give this a bit of a hmmm....

The guy seems to have legit rank under Royler, though 'only' a Purple. He claims to teach 'UFC style' mma fighting (among a suspiciously lengthy laundry list of other arts, with no credentials given) but doesn't seem to have a fight record on either Sherdog or fcfighter, neither are any fighters listed on his page. All the photos are him standing next to famous people rather than, say, his students having their hands raised in victory.

Plus, stuff like this:
          Alex Wilkie currently provides instruction for members of the DEA, FBI, Secret Service, INS, U.S. Marshals, U.S. Border Patrol, Air Marshals, State Police, Multi-jurisdictional SWAT and CERT teams, local & county law-enforcement agencies, as well as all branches of the military.
          is always a little suspect. I'll leave it to others to start the inevitable Systema flame war...

It's possible that the above is just the result of a bad web page, and that he, and his students kicks arse regularly. Though Purple is a slightly low rank to be setting up his own school, it's possible that bjj.org is outdated or that he does, in fact, rock anyway.

Basically, I'd check it out, ask about his student's fight record and see how they train.

Anyone out there have any actual experience of this guy?

Comment

Sounds good

For $88.00 a month unlimited activity. Pretty good .
            Unless you feel you are better then the Purple belt, go there and try a trial run can't hurt.

:gwbdance:

Comment

Purple belts are in jiu jitsu are weak as hell. I say go in there and kick his ass - if he survives you could take lessons. If he doesn't then just grab his belt and assume his identity. That's how we used to do it in the old school.

Comment

Most BJJ Purple belts have ugly ears and are skinny as well...that's how you know they suck. Real Masters have unmarred faces and they get fatter so they can wear all their high Dan belts at once.

GG
                MMA Record vs Llamas 0-1-0
                (The Llama bit my junk but the ref didn't see it).

Comment

Purple belts are teh suck.
                  Shut the hell up and train.

Comment

A blue belt can destroy any streetfighter alive with just about a year of training. Unfortunately all skill is lost once they get to purple; as they become just a bunch of guard-jumping sport fighters whose face's will shatter and they will melt under the weight of just one punch.

Comment

Alex Wilkie's used to have some decent grapplers on the local level. There were some local fighters that used to do ground training there, and they had okay basics, although nothing spectacular. The kickboxing was the strength of the place, not the ground.

You could definitely do worse, but depending on your specific goals and your location, you can probably do better. Where in New Jersey are you?
                      Undisputed KING OF ASSHOLES.

Comment

Originally posted by Yrkoon9
                        Purple belts are in jiu jitsu are weak as hell. I say go in there and kick his ass - if he survives you could take lessons. If he doesn't then just grab his belt and assume his identity. That's how we used to do it in the old school.
                        I just kind of thought that a purple belt with his own full time school with his name above the door was slightly unusual?

Comment

Originally posted by PointyShinyBurn
                          I just kind of thought that a purple belt with his own full time school with his name above the door was slightly unusual?
                          It's not unusual to have Purple Belt BJJ instructors. Unlike most other MAs black belt level jujitsu instructors are relatively hard to come by.

Comment

The curriculum looks okay, check it out to see how they train and if the instructors can pound some student ass without difficulty (they should if it's a good place).

Yes, that does sound sexual. I'm a friendly guy.

Purple is so far away I can't even begin to contemplate Blue. Ah, the Bujinkan served me well...
                            Mr Politically Correct GIJoe6186:
                            Fat people disgust me in every way imaginable. I was at Freindly's with my girl tonight and saw a bunch of fat fuckers. I felt sorry for the pavement they were killing and the people who had to see them. .

Comment

Originally posted by TehDeadlyDimMak
                              It's not unusual to have Purple Belt BJJ instructors. Unlike most other MAs black belt level jujitsu instructors are relatively hard to come by.
                              In my, admittedly limited, experience, you often get a purple belt running a small satellite of a big org, teaching the odd class/private at a bigger school or running a class for small/no profit in places where there's no black belts. Does no one else find one running his own full time school a little unusual? If not, feel free to let this line of discussion die, as I'm obviously confused here.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X