Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Grapplers are consistently beating Strikers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why Grapplers are consistently beating Strikers.

I think that the reason grapplers are oftentimes beating strikers is that there is a discrepancy in the quality of the strikers' versus the grapplers.

First off, my personal belief is that striking is an elegant, difficult, but in the long run, more efficient and effective tool for self defense. A well placed strike can require little energy use, leaves you on your feet, and can drop an opponent in one good hit.

Grappling on the other hand, is a bit clumsy, takes a little longer, and leaves you vulnerable on the ground.It is, however, much easier to learn and a mistake made while grappling is not so damaging as a missed strike. When you miss your arm lock on the first try, you just keep trying and reaching and you may still get it. There is much room for error.

I think that the current trend with strikers is that many striking martial artists don't train their skills correctly. Most dojos do not train heavy bags enough, do not spar enough (quality, contact sparring), and do not train their aim enough (with speed bags, and double-ended speed bags). These drills teach speed, aim, timing, and power. Incidentally, the striking martial arts that do train with these tools and with an emphasis on the combat side of "martial arts" do quite well against grapplers. Those styles are Muay Thai and Boxing. Generally, the quality of strikers today is very poor. There focus is wrong; their training emphasis is wrong.

This is in part due to the fect that you don't really know if a strike works until you knock someone out with it. It is actually quite hard to train striking. Grappling on the other hand is easier to train to combat effectiveness. The reason why is that in grappling you can achieve a hold on someone without finalizing the move and tearing out the joint or breaking the bones. You can get to "the spot" where you know you have the guy. In striking, you don't know if you have the guy until he's on the ground. You can't train with control and get to "the spot", because in striking, getting to the spot is a fleeting mooment that will pass soon, so you either clock the guy or you don't. The repercussions of following through for training's sake would leave the striking arts training areas with a large shortage of people willing to be sparring partners.

It is my belief that if traditional martial arts took their striking training with the same seriousness that a boxer or kickboxer did, we would not see so many grapplers beating strikers.

Let me just add...that if a Striker gets taken down then the Striker hasn't done their job right...lol.

It's suicide to get in a ground fight with a grappler.

I agree grapplers are effective...but only against one opponent. Against more and I feel they're kind of screwed. No offense.

-Kai

Comment

Well you look at video clips of strikers versus grapplers, and frankly they're all pathetic clips submitted by grapplers, of course. Almost all of them show awful reactions by strikers, usually on their back kicking their legs like turtles flipped over. Its sad really that these strikers don't know how to resist a takedown better and don't know how to use knees and elbows in close.

If a striker gets taken down he hasn't done his job? Well, there's two sides to that coin. That is a grappler's job, to get the guy on the ground, so either the grappler did his job well, which you can't fault him for, or the striker didn't do his job well, which is to devastate his opponent with numerous powerful strikes.

Comment

I forgot to add the whole "grappler did their job right".

I agree.

-Kai

Comment

"There are wrestlers out there that specialize in takedowns and can takedown other grapplers AT WILL. With this ability strikers are screwed regardless of ability."

That's bull. There's always a way around someone's move. If there was any one move that was foolproof and was no defense against the whole world would have figured it out by now and we would all be studying wrestling.

Comment

STFU n00bs!

Cast in the name of God. Ye not guilty.
            "The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time."

-- George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I was wondering...

Seeing some of these videos isn't it possible to just knee the grapplers when they're going in?

I mean...they have their heads down most the time I see them going for the legs...why not a switf knee jab?

-Kai

Comment

"It is my belief that if traditional martial arts took their striking training with the same seriousness that a boxer or kickboxer did, we would not see so many grapplers beating strikers."

No offense, but I just saw this and I really don't find it to be a valid statement. There are plently of strikers in the traditional Martial Arts that take it very seriously...

-Kai

Comment

Umm...I dunno...it seems a better defense than just sitting there or "sprawling".

-Kai

Comment

Kai - you're a little out of your element here.

Experience has shown that most strikers cannot strike hard enough, accurately enough, or fast enough to stop a proper shoot. Try it yourself with an experienced wrestler.

Also, the sprawl involves shooting your legs back and bracing on the opps' shoulders so he can't get your center of balance. it has been shown (at least in MMA) to be the only consistently good standing response to a shoot.

Comment

So I guess it's the strikers faults for that...

However by your statement it's still possible.

-Kai

Comment

Kai: for some excellent anti-grappling technique, watch the Chuck Liddell clip on this site.

Comment

Download the "McBeatdowns" video by USAwrestler in the downloads section. There are some pretty cool clips of strikes ending NHB fights on it. Grappling highlights too. It's a good video. Worth the download time for sure.

Comment

Mmmmk.

-Kai

Comment

::: Kai's transformation continues :::

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X