Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Northern English martial arts clubs

Ullo,

Im in sheffield, did Taekwondo for quite a bit. Got bored of it. Now Im fed up of my muscle slowly seeping away and being replaced by fat, and therefore need to find me a new martial art.

Therefore, I need some help, about the type of martial art I should do, etc.
    Bear in mind Im a big bastard for a 14 year old. 6'1, and 170lbs

So, gimme help please!

You're that size at 14 ? Christ, I don't know what they're feeding kids these days.... Anyway, you could do worse than Judo for grappling type stuff, and karate for striking. You want to find a style that utilises your size/power to best advantage, so although it's a bit of a cliche here, kyokushin would probably suit you really well. Find out what clubs are near to you, then report back here with what's available; at the end of the day the instructor is more important than the style.

Comment

right,
      Thai Boxing
      Brazilian Jui Jitsu

and lots of generic (probaby Mc Dojo) karate or "multiple martial arts" clubs

ehh, I like the sound of Thai Boxing, as I prefer the idea of striking to grappling

Comment

"...the instructor is more important than the style."

I second that.
        Test some of them out, they should let you try it out or at least watch.

"My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right."
        Ashleigh Brilliant

Comment

Go for the Thai Boxing and Brazilian Jiujitsu - that's a very fortunate combination - one of the best...

Sanovarek, do that cobination IMO...

"Wrestling is the Martial Art of America";
          "If you don't know how to wrestle you don't know how to fight, that's the prerequisite to fighting" David Tank Abbott
          "Training = pain." - I said that.

PizDoff when drunk: "I'm actually MOST pissed that my target for the evening got drink...then I gave her my Bullshido Canada hoodie like a gentleman because she was outside with not much on...did I mention she barfed twice when I got our jackets...steaming barf is kinda fascinating..." - PizDoff.

Comment

English MA consists partly of both people grabbing each other around the head and rythimically kicking each other in the shins.

This is known as "purring".

A 6th dan black belt in bastardry.

"Damn you! You dirty fighter." My sparring partner, also disabled, recovering from being bitten.
            What am I?:

I am ignorant, thieving, lying, hypocrital, violent and thoroughly self obssessed. I steal from others to make myself look better, only to make the item or information worse.

I go on and on and ON about how brave and strong and brilliant and wealthy I am, but in the end I'm all mouth and no trousers.

That's right children, I'm your average AMERICUNT! and I exemplify AMERICA!:911flag:

:occasion1

JohnnyCache's "retort" proving how much he knows about medicine and geography and First World countries:
            http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...=78188&page=22

Yes, through persistent lack of work and the cultivation of ignorance, he is a true American.

Comment

The Thai boxing will certainly get you fit (or kill you in the process), just check out all your options carefully. Just because something is 'trendy' at the moment doesn't always make it the best bet. It really is all down to the instructor - find one that really knows his stuff, and teaches in a way that suits you, if it's not enjoyable you won't stay long. Good luck...

Comment

Doesn't matter what you do, you can go back to TKD if that makes you happy.

Whatever you do, make sure to not buy the hype and make a good faith examination of everything that you are being taught. This doesn't mean being a punk kid and bugging your teacher with stupid questions and bad attitude. It means really using your brain and asking yourself things like "Would this really work for me in a fight? Would it work for anyone? Is this move really practical to hurt someone with, or is it really meant to look pretty or remind me of some moral or ethical idea?

You probably won't find everything you are taught to be really useful to you, but as long as the good outweighs the bad, stick with it.

Comment

For Sheffield, I'd get in touch with a guy called Dave Nicholson. It doesn't matter what style you learn from him. His background is taiji, but he also teaches systema. Sadly, I cant find any contact details for him at the moment.
                  Taking responsibility for my actions since 1989

Comment

"English MA consists partly of both people grabbing each other around the head and rythimically kicking each other in the shins.

This is known as "purring".

A 6th dan black belt in bastardry. "

I love soccer as well!

"Now Im fed up of my muscle slowly seeping away and being replaced by fat"
                    sounds like an extreme TKD class there....
                    why don't you go do some cardio jogging or swimming to tone yourself, and weight training for your muscles and bones.....

--
                    Hard work, Patience, Dedication.
                    (And my two creaky knees...)
                    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

https://www.instagram.com/bullshido/

Comment

No, PizzDoff, "purring" is an English folk tradition. Look it up.

A 6th dan black belt in bastardry.

"Damn you! You dirty fighter." My sparring partner, also disabled, recovering from being bitten.
                      What am I?:

I am ignorant, thieving, lying, hypocrital, violent and thoroughly self obssessed. I steal from others to make myself look better, only to make the item or information worse.

I go on and on and ON about how brave and strong and brilliant and wealthy I am, but in the end I'm all mouth and no trousers.

That's right children, I'm your average AMERICUNT! and I exemplify AMERICA!:911flag:

:occasion1

JohnnyCache's "retort" proving how much he knows about medicine and geography and First World countries:
                      http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...=78188&page=22

Yes, through persistent lack of work and the cultivation of ignorance, he is a true American.

Comment

English martial arts seem to consist of:
                        Accusing somone of spilling you pint / looking at you bird / looking at you pint and spilling your bird
                        Getting your mates to hold you back because "I'm gonna fookin kill im"
                        Only ever displaying your martial prwess when you have 10 mates to back you up
                        Twatting someone with a pint glass
                        Kicking people while on the floor

If you want a demo of this English martial art (known as Lions Den Style, originating from the Millwall region), go to any city or town in the UK at kicking out time and try to jump the queue in a kebab shop.

Comment

You can find details of Dave Nicholson at www.systemauk.com

Comment

Cheers Rob. He does live over that way doesn't he? All I've been told is that he lives in the arse end of nowhere in south yorkshire.
                            Taking responsibility for my actions since 1989

Comment

i still love soccer

--
                              Hard work, Patience, Dedication.
                              (And my two creaky knees...)
                              Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

https://www.instagram.com/bullshido/

Comment

Working...
                              X