• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ron Chapel sez, "Knock Yourself out, kids!"

Or he might as well be saying it here:

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/sho...4&postcount=67

Part of this thread:

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/sho...d=1#post543052

Where he's telling EPAK folks to keep their chins raised in stance.

Now I've had issues with Chapel before, be it from his insistence that he learned Sekrit Kenpo, or that he uses physics parlour tricks like this:

http://ikenpo.com/structural_integrity.mov

. . . but I figured that serious harm couldn't result from it. But this -- this is actually dangerous advice.

I know there have been threads of Chapel before, but I think this is distinct from them.

You know, you guys really make me ashamed to say I teach Ke?po...is this a Bullshido conspiracy to make my life miserable?

edit* worst part is, he's not the first guy I've heard say that....I swear I think my entire article back there could have been summed up in 3 words...ideology over reality.

Comment

Ha ha... I've knocked myself out before. But it usually involved a steep hill and a botlte of Vodka - God love the Godless Russians

Comment

Shut up

Comment

Originally posted by Armed&Hammered
          Ha ha... I've knocked myself out before. But it usually involved a steep hill and a botlte of Vodka - God love the Godless Russians
          You didn't knock yourself out hard enough, try it again.

Comment

Just ignore him.

Anyway, he's back in that thread, holding court on T3h str33t and how it's only the rules that make you tuck your chin, instead of the desire not to get knocked out, hit in the throat or choked.

Incidentally, this is his SL-4 in action -- for T3h str33t.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...851539&q=kenpo

Again, it's dangerous advice to be handing out to folks. That';s why I brought it up.

Comment

Originally posted by eyebeams
              Just ignore him.

Anyway, he's back in that thread, holding court on T3h str33t and how it's only the rules that make you tuck your chin, instead of the desire not to get knocked out, hit in the throat or choked.

Again, it's dangerous advice to be handing out to folks. That';s why I brought it up.

That was one of the WORST vids I have seen on google . Seriously ... check it out .

Comment

Originally posted by BackFistMonkey
                That was one of the WORST vids I have seen on google . Seriously ... check it out .
                Damn it give me back my 2 minutes of my life I just wasted following your advice !

This is something KenpoFist should use to illustrate his article !

Comment

there is only one solution, someone needs to punch him in the face. He did ask for someone to help demonstrate the principle. I assued he ment he wants someone to come punch him in the face.

Comment

Wow!

What as that? An Aikidoesque "Grab my collar!"?

--J. "Hold On While I Hit Your Arm . . . Hold Still!" D.

Comment

Just ignore him.

While I disagree with Chapel on MANY, MANY points, he's correct with the chin up. And though you think common practice is chin down, it's just not sound advice because it's used commonly. Having the chin down misaligns the spine and corrupts your movement in the lower quadrant much more than you may think, and I prove it time after time. If you're getting hit on the bottom of the chin, it's because you suck, and it's obvious that you'll need more work moving the target, moving the weapon, or moving both so they're not there to hit you at that particular point.

I do agree, the vids suck serious ass and I can't believe people actually go for that SL4 shit.

BTW, I would've responded on MT but I was banned for being a bad boy and actually telling people the truth LOL.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

Comment

Originally posted by Clyde
                        While I disagree with Chapel on MANY, MANY points, he's correct with the chin up. And though you think common practice is chin down, it's just not sound advice because it's used commonly. Having the chin down misaligns the spine and corrupts your movement in the lower quadrant much more than you may think, and I prove it time after time.
                        I'm not talking about a big tuck here like you might go for if you're infighting in a boxing ring. I'm talking about what's standard in CMA -- something that actually aligns your spine *better.* The process Chapel describes ain't it.

I do know that tucking to look down and overly hunching is a very, very common mistake (as "hunchback" Geary demonstrates in his stances in the other thread). It's not that either.

If you're getting hit on the bottom of the chin, it's because you suck, and it's obvious that you'll need more work moving the target, moving the weapon, or moving both so they're not there to hit you at that particular point.

Clyde
                        Better people than me have taken a shot to the chin or jaw. While I would love to learn how to never, ever get hit there, with all due respect, I don't think EPAK has that mighty fu.

Comment

So SL4 is all about extremely stylalized slapping of yourself and posing?

And by all means keep your chin up. It will make much more easier for me to whip yo ass!:evil:
                          ______
                          Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
                          -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
                          The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
                          -Daniel Tosh

Comment

This video seems to be is missing the bit where the guy who is doing the grabbing then uses his left hand to throw a left cross while pulling the defender forward. YesNo?

Comment

Originally posted by Mole5000
                              This video seems to be is missing the bit where the guy who is doing the grabbing then uses his left hand to throw a left cross while pulling the defender forward. YesNo?
                              What the hell's wrong with you!?!?! Pple don't do that in Kempoland, especially in SL4!!! :tongue3:
                              ______
                              Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
                              -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
                              The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
                              -Daniel Tosh

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X