Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good article on edged weapons

http://www.clearsilat.com/silat/Articles/Knives.htm

All I can say is I hope I never get attacked with a knife (or gun, or club, or...)

All I can say is I hope I never get attacked with a knife (or gun, or club, or...)

I totally agree with your statement, and I think this article is great. It really mirrors all of my schools training about edged weapons and really self-defense in general. Our "empty handed" defenses are really no different "weapon attack" defenses, meaning we don't make much distiction between the two and say if the guy doesn't have a weapon do this, but if he has a weapon do that.

The only thing that suprised me was the number that said 33% of people faced with edged weapons end up hurt, I would figure that number would be a lot higher. I guess the key words there are attacked and injured. The number is lower than I would think becauses it takes into account the guys who pull a knife who never intend to use it and victims that are able to do something like shoot the guy before he has a chance. As the author pointed out later, if the statment was meant to reflect you chances of injury WHEN you are attacked with a knife, that number is going to be way way higher.

Comment

That was abundantly clear even in training. I have no pride, when it comes to a knife fight--heck, any fight.

Comment

Yeah, Punisher. I think the author said one should expect to get cut.

I've also heard that if you're afraid of getting cut, then you will get cut. I guess that's supposed to mean you'll get scared and freaze up or freak out. If you expect to get cut, anyway, maybe that will take some of the fear out of the situation. You'll just have to try to make sure the cuts aren't fatal.

When you're in a real fight, do you think you will always feel the cut? I don't know if that would matter or not, though.

Comment

Kali is good, but even with an art this specific to knife-fighting, the guy I'm training with still says that you are almost always going to get cut. The key is to use your arms and footwork in a way that minimizes the damage while taking out the assailant as quickly as possible.

You can't make a man by standing a sheep on its hindlegs but if you get a group of men together you can create a herd of sheep.

Comment

Yep, read the article many times, still pretty damn good.

When you're in a real fight, do you think you will always feel the cut? I don't know if that would matter or not, though.
            It doesn't matter. As long as the cut does what it's supposed to do, pain is a non-issue.

Knife combatives is always very sobering and should be accorded the proper respect it deserves.

I was with my training group during an intensive bout of training with our Guro, and we were just relaxing right after lunch. The subject came up about doing some of our drills with our feet and our Guro proceded to do some knife tapping with another guy, using only his feet. It was funny to watch, to be sure, but what he said was very sobering. He said, "When you're the only person between your enemy and your loved ones, you had better be willing to keep fighting with whatever you have until the very end." Just an interesting little story that, to me, will always stand out in terms of the mentality of what I'm doing.

~
            danny

Comment

Great article...

Yes, I agree. Expect to get cut. I always get reminded of this when I do knife drills and I feel my partner's knife slide along my forearm. It makes you realize that avoiding a knife fight is really the best strategy.

As for unarmed against a knife, after starting with my current guro, it didn't take long for me to realize that my Aikido knife defenses aren't as obviously effective as I thought. LOL I think MA students should take a seminar or better yet a course in FMA or whatever blade-aware style is available to know what a skilled knife fighter is capable of doing.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
              X