Newbie McDojo Filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie McDojo Filter

So, I'm from eastern Massachusetts, and looking to get into martial arts. I've looked around, and I'm going for Muay Thai, and a little later BJJ. I've looked at the potential gyms in my area, and dug these up:

http://sityodtong.com/
    This to me the best-looking one. It doesn't seem like a McDojo, and is close to me.

http://www.blazingsunfitness.com/
    This raised a few red flags for me, although I'm no good judge. First of all, mandatory club T-Shirt, and it's also a tanning parlor. It's also further away.

http://www.amacjkd.com/
    Even with my limited (very limited) experience, I'm going to point and laugh, correct? "Karate birthday parties", indeed.

Also, being ~175cm and ~60kg, it looks like I'll get ripped apart during sparring. Especially for BJJ later, does size make a big difference? Feel free to help a poor newbie any way you can. Thanks.

Originally posted by sponge008
    So, I'm from eastern Massachusetts, and looking to get into martial arts. I've looked around, and I'm going for Muay Thai, and a little later BJJ. I've looked at the potential gyms in my area, and dug these up:

http://sityodtong.com/
    This to me the best-looking one. It doesn't seem like a McDojo, and is close to me.

http://www.blazingsunfitness.com/
    This raised a few red flags for me, although I'm no good judge. First of all, mandatory club T-Shirt, and it's also a tanning parlor. It's also further away.

Even with my limited (very limited) experience, I'm going to point and laugh, correct? "Karate birthday parties", indeed.
    Caveat: I gave those websites the most cursory of examinations, but I'd agree with your assessment based on that quick look. It still probably pays to go see if you can check out a class or two at each one before you make your decision.

Also, being ~175cm and ~60kg, it looks like I'll get ripped apart during sparring. Especially for BJJ later, does size make a big difference? Feel free to help a poor newbie any way you can. Thanks.
    Ice cream and pizza and the weight room are your best friends for the next year or so. That said, there are plenty of lighter guys who kick ass at any martial art you can name. IMO it's more important to be at a weight at which you feel fit and comfortable than to shoot for any specific number.

Comment

Also, being ~175cm and ~60kg, it looks like I'll get ripped apart during sparring. Especially for BJJ later, does size make a big difference?
      there are worse things than being a skinny fucker. a lot of worse things.

course, one of those worse things is using metric for no damn reason...

Comment

Fuck all of you and your hatred of MA kids birthday parties! You all just hate children!

Am I the only one that read this blazings unfitness?
        Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
        ...Willing is not enough you must do
        ~Bruce Lee

Comment

Originally posted by pauli
          there are worse things than being a skinny fucker. a lot of worse things.

course, one of those worse things is using metric for no damn reason...
          Hmm...

10 mm = 1 cm
          10 cm = 1 decimeter
          10 decimeters = 1 m
          10 m = 1 decameter
          10 decameters = 1 km

Highyly unreasonable compared to:

12 inches = 1 foot
          3 feet = 1 yard
          220 yards = 1 furlong
          8 furlongs = 1 mile
          3 miles = 1 league

Bah! Fucking Americans. I mean, fractions, ffs. Why kick out the British but cling to their outdated measurement system?

I'm just letting my canadian complex show through here. I'm sure if we met at the border, we could agree on how many grams are in a quarter ounce, and set about determining how many liquid scruples are in a hogshead.

Comment

Because we won the war.

--J.D.
            Why yes, I still have sand in my vagina! It is because I am a lying cowardly child who got buttfucked by MEANIE Doctor X! I also do not know the Latin and it makes me cry!!--Phrost

Comment

Size, IMHO, makes a lot less difference in BJJ than in most other martial arts. If you look at the absolute divison of many tournaments, you will quite often see shrimpy little fuckers cleaning up.

However, you will have to come to terms with the fact that you will get sat on by fat people. It's distressing at first, but you get used to it.

Comment

Sityodtong is one of the best Muay Thai camps in Thailand. My instrcutor was talking to Master Yodtong about the guy who runs the American Camp and had nothing but praise for him. Give it a try if you like the sound of MT.
                " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Comment

Originally posted by porch
                  Hmm...

10 mm = 1 cm
                  10 cm = 1 decimeter
                  10 decimeters = 1 m
                  10 m = 1 decameter
                  10 decameters = 1 km

12 inches = 1 foot
                  3 feet = 1 yard
                  220 yards = 1 furlong
                  8 furlongs = 1 mile
                  3 miles = 1 league

Bah! Fucking Americans. I mean, fractions, ffs. Why kick out the British but cling to their outdated measurement system?

I'm just letting my canadian complex show through here. I'm sure if we met at the border, we could agree on how many grams are in a quarter ounce, and set about determining how many liquid scruples are in a hogshead.
                  Dont you mean?

10mm = 1cm
                  100cm = 1m
                  1000m = 1 km

Even easier to remember:icon_tong

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor X
                    Because we won the war.

--J.D.
                    Thats the kind of attitude George Bush shows to the world, War war war, Congratulations you just proved there is someone as stupid as George Bush and thats You

Comment

Phil,

You won't last around here with a sense of humor that poor. I suggest taking your sarcasm and humor detectors in for an inspection. Should they be broken (a certainty) and you cannot afford the repairs, may I suggest killing yourself immediately?

Maybe you'll do better next time you play the game.

GG
                      MMA Record vs Llamas 0-1-0
                      (The Llama bit my junk but the ref didn't see it).

Comment

Out of the three sites, Sityodtong is the only one without dragons or kids wearing black belts. I say go there :P

All kiding aside. Just visit them, any decent place will let you sit in on a class or two. If they don't, run away as fast as you can.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipOs
                          Thats the kind of attitude George Bush shows to the world, War war war, Congratulations you just proved there is someone as stupid as George Bush and thats You
                          :XXhippylo
                          Make love not war.
                          :sex:

Comment

Originally posted by porch
                            Hmm...

10 mm = 1 cm
                            10 cm = 1 decimeter
                            10 decimeters = 1 m
                            10 m = 1 decameter
                            10 decameters = 1 km

12 inches = 1 foot
                            3 feet = 1 yard
                            220 yards = 1 furlong
                            8 furlongs = 1 mile
                            3 miles = 1 league

I HATE the fucking English system. Ben Franklin wanted us to change to meteric Why the hell didn't we? I don't know! There is no advantage to the English system.

1 mile = 5,280 feet!!! what the fuck?
                            I know, I know 1,000 Roman double steps.
                            Suposed to be 5,000 Roman feet.
                            Not English feet. Those would be some big assed steps to make 5,280 feet in a mile.
                            People often tell me that I fail to see the gravity of the situation.
                            I see the gravity, and I say...

Step right up folks and watch me defy gravity!

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipOs
                              People often tell me that I fail to see the gravity of the situation.
                              I see the gravity, and I say...

Step right up folks and watch me defy gravity!

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X