Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A fix for the TKD public image?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    A fix for the TKD public image?

    I have read quite a few posts about how bad TKD sucks, mainly due to WTF and ATA tactics. With the damage they have done, is there anything that could possibly be done for TKD (short of fire-bombing both orgs)?

    #2
    Having a noteworthy fighter kick the crap out of serveral established bad-asses would help I think.
    Originally posted by Matt Phillips
    Bullshido is not like the police department, or even POWNET; it really just gets random hard ons and then follows it's dick.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by Slipster
      , is there anything that could possibly be done for TKD (short of fire-bombing both orgs)?
      You are disqualifying the only option.
      He who attains his ideal by that very fact transcends it- Nietzsche

      I like my Te like I like my tea- from Fujian province and without any bullshit in it. Oh, and green. And scented with jasmine blossoms...

      Originally posted by A Better American Than You
      In every country and every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot.

      Comment


        #4
        Robbie Lawler could be the said noteworthy fighter with a TKD background.
        "Sifu, I"m niether - I'm a fire dragon so don't fuck with me!"

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Slipster
          I have read quite a few posts about how bad TKD sucks, mainly due to WTF and ATA tactics. With the damage they have done, is there anything that could possibly be done for TKD (short of fire-bombing both orgs)?
          In quiet frustration...DerAuslander quietly goes back to the temple, sits down in front of the nice big shiny Buddha...and starts breaking bricks over his head....

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Slipster
            I have read quite a few posts about how bad TKD sucks, mainly due to WTF and ATA tactics. With the damage they have done, is there anything that could possibly be done for TKD (short of fire-bombing both orgs)?
            mass homicide of 90% of all tkd practitioners.

            Comment


              #7
              Hail Emperor Hee Il Cho.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Askari
                Robbie Lawler could be the said noteworthy fighter with a TKD background.
                You indirectly make a good point. The fighter would have to consistently use and be successful with TKD techniques.

                I havent seen all of Robbie Lawler's fights but hes known as a striker with heavy HANDS, and I can't recall seeing him do anything that looks remotley like TKD.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Snapp
                  You indirectly make a good point. The fighter would have to consistently use and be successful with TKD techniques.

                  I havent seen all of Robbie Lawler's fights but hes known as a striker with heavy HANDS, and I can't recall seeing him do anything that looks remotley like TKD.
                  Isn't the current TKD savior that people are flocking to in MMA that amateur Juras guy in Europe? People keep pointing to him and going "look TKD works!" cause he's got a highlight on youtube.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Snapp
                    You indirectly make a good point. The fighter would have to consistently use and be successful with TKD techniques.

                    I havent seen all of Robbie Lawler's fights but hes known as a striker with heavy HANDS, and I can't recall seeing him do anything that looks remotley like TKD.
                    This would depend of course if Robbie was associated with ITF or not. If he was it would make sense that he would use his hands a lot as I know one or two TKD fighters who've been successful in MMA with a TKD based background. As such, I'd say Robbie's style look reminiscent of TKD I know, but then again my experiences seem to be unique in the sport for some reason.

                    TKD

                    THIS IS NOT AN EXIT


                    "Ladies and gentlemen, the pilot has instructed everyone to sit the fuck down and shut the fuck up." Henry Rollins

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Hi Snapp,
                      Robbie's kicks look like TKD to me, your right he has heavy hands - and like any smart fighter he cross-trains extensively. TKD happens to be where he started competing. Probably gave him the confidence to move on and compete in MMA.
                      "Sifu, I"m niether - I'm a fire dragon so don't fuck with me!"

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Stephan Bonnar
                        Last edited by MaverickZ; 5/08/2006 7:37pm, .

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by TehDeadlyDimMak
                          Isn't the current TKD savior that people are flocking to in MMA that amateur Juras guy in Europe? People keep pointing to him and going "look TKD works!" cause he's got a highlight on youtube.
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lA7MG...ae%20Kwon%20Do

                          Some people can make things work.

                          But....are we talking RING fighting or REAL fighting? Not even Jujitsu, Judo, or MMA matches are "real" fighting. Some arts just better emulate a facet of fighting.

                          People pick on TKD. Often, just because it's been mainstreamed and stripped malled. TKD is not a total loss, as long as you have a sense of what works and have the ability to correctly apply what you know.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            No one kicks intrueders off horses anymore, why have a constant linear when we know that the laws of vibrational nature work in accordance to circular ranges of motion.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by Askari
                              Hi Snapp,
                              Robbie's kicks look like TKD to me, your right he has heavy hands - and like any smart fighter he cross-trains extensively. TKD happens to be where he started competing. Probably gave him the confidence to move on and compete in MMA.
                              I agree.

                              That said, its hard to draw a line in these type of situations. I will offer two examples:

                              Georges St.Pierre, he lists his style as BJJ. I can see the BJJ in what he does, he has excellent top control. But hes also amazing at every other aspect of the game. He has excellent striking and takedowns. To the average viewer he is a fighter, a well rounded fighter, but to the untrained eye a BJJ fighter he is not.

                              Antonio Rodrigo Nogueria is another BJJ fighter. He lists BJJ as his style. He is also amazing at every other aspect of the game. He has excellent boxing and takedowns. But Nog, IS a BJJ fighter, he looks like a BJJ fighter and he acts like a BJJ fighter. Hes out there to take you down and submit you, thats his game, thats what he wants to do. He fights with BJJ and its obvious.

                              Now I know this is all very semantical (is that even a word?), but to me Nog is a BJJ fighter. St.Pierre is a fighter, and he does BJJ.


                              So following that logic, to be a TKD fighter. Your game would have to be to get out there and take the guy out with TKD style kicks. Maybe you throw punches and maybe you know how to grapple. But to give credit to TKD you'd have to be using TKD predominantly.

                              Your style is how you fight, not what you know. At least thats my opinion in this cross training world of mma.

                              Comment

                              Collapse

                              Edit this module to specify a template to display.

                              Working...
                              X