Master Toddy sells certifications?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Master Toddy sells certifications?

So - I have a boxing background and have been training Muay Thai 3 times a week for the last 6 months and 'generic' kickboxing with some MT principles for another 6 months before that.

My Muay Thai instructor has just come back from a 5 day training class in Vegas with Master Toddy which he paid $1800.00 and after which received a "Kru certificate".

Now, my instructor is pretty competent, at least enough to teach basic to intermediate level techniques. He trained under Ajahn Suchart, who I know is legit. With that said, I also know that my instructor has no real fight, (i.e. amateur or pro sanctioned fights), experience. I'm not sure that he is at a level that I would imagine a Kru must be at.

From the info on Master Toddy's site it appears that 'certification' comes with the fee. I know that M. Toddy is the real deal and respected in the sport but doesn't this just sound like a cash grab?

Since his return, my instructor has plans to implement a belt ranking system. I know that since there are so few sanctioned fights in North America that it is hard to aquire a fight ranking without it taking years but I'm not sure what to make of a belt system in MT either.

Anyone care to weigh in or share some info about M. Toddy's class?

MT + Belts = McDojo

Comment

Originally posted by Shaolinz
      MT + Belts = McDojo
      Kru means instructor, basically.

Your enthusiasm is nice, but let's not get too excited, huh?
      "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Comment

Originally posted by Shaolinz
        MT + Belts = McDojo
        This is too much of a generalisation. Although having grades in a traditionally non-graded art/sport can be a sign of McDojoism it does not instantly make a club a McDojo.
        " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Comment

Originally posted by radzed
          Since his return, my instructor has plans to implement a belt ranking system. I know that since there are so few sanctioned fights in North America that it is hard to aquire a fight ranking without it taking years but I'm not sure what to make of a belt system in MT either.
          I wasn't talking about Kru. I was talking about this. This screams at me. However, if he implements it and doesn't charge for aquiring a new rank or testing, then it isn't a McDojo practice its just a way to gauge fighters. Also realize that if you EVER tell anyone you have a blue belt in Muay Thai they WILL laugh at you.
          Last edited by Shaolinz; 5/02/2006 10:06am, .

Comment

I have no idea how this Toddy person is, but if he is giving away certificates for a seminar fee. Well then, if he had been someone legit. Then I think they just sold out hard core.

Comment

Well here's the site
              http://www.mastertoddy.com/courses/Certcourses.asp

Here's the quick and dirty

-After being certified as an Assistant Instructor, you must have at least 1 year of experience teaching Muay Thai before you can be considered for the Instructor (Kru) Course. This course expands on the material taught in the previous course and goes more into depth with more advanced Muay Thai techniques and how to properly teach them.

Well, the issue of quality control is immediately apparent. Im especially bothered by the idea of a Instructor/Kru having zero ring experience.

Comment

I had a private over at Toddy's with one of his Thai's about 2 years ago. I was thoroughly unimpressed.

From what I understand they laugh at Toddy in Thailand.

Comment

Did your instructor steal the document?

One might not be a problem, but a few Hot Toddys will get you into trouble.
                  Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.
                  "Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
                  Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
                  Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
                  Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
                  Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
                  Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a pussy or just cruising for some
                  I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
                  TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
                  ATTN TOM KAGAN
                  World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
                  Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
                  I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
                  Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Kagan
                    Did your instructor steal the document?

One might not be a problem, but a few Hot Toddys will get you into trouble.
                    *groan*

Comment

Originally posted by Yrkoon9
                      I had a private over at Toddy's with one of his Thai's about 2 years ago. I was thoroughly unimpressed.

From what I understand they laugh at Toddy in Thailand.
                      From what I know of the guy he's trained something like 20-30 champions in his time, so this is an interesting viewpoint.

As for the certifications, maybe Vegas skint him and needs to earn a fast buck, who knows? He wouldn't be the first person to sell out, sadly.

Edit: Looking at his site, the requirements for some of the certifications are pretty steep.
                      Last edited by Lu Tze; 5/02/2006 6:19pm, .

Comment

Well, some World Class boxing coachs have never been boxers- just very observant and know the game, inside and out. The same goes in alot of other sports. Think about it- Hemingway's English teacher didn't write the great amercian novel, but he taught him how to write.
                        "Coffee is for Closers" GlenGarry Glenross

Comment

This todd also sells certification

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                          X