Wola-Do: Crap or no?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wola-Do: Crap or no?

My Recreation Complex is holding classes for this African martial art. It seems like a large thing, at least for a small town like mine, so I'm going to do a little detective work. Classes are beginning quite soon, possibly tomorrow. I'll be in touch. Any information about this alleged martial art would be appreciated.

I also plan to make good on my promise to investigate the To-Shin-Do school where I live during the summer.

take pictures plz.

Comment

I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's crap.

Comment

Article

Comment

Here's their incredibly awesome website : Wola-Do

Comment

Krotty/TKD

Looks like typical Krotty and TKD. Nothing about it looks anything like the indigenous African wrestling arts I have seen in various documentaries and articles. I think there are some African stick arts too.

Of course, Africa is a continent, not a country. So, there can be a lot of variation, but looks like karate gi and breaking boards and going on about how their "king" will bring peace to the universe, right after he brings levity to your wallet.

Comment

Bullshido to the Nth degree

Nothing, repeat Nothing, about this stands up.

The references to African history are BS. The techniques and uniforms are recycled TKD/Krotty. Everything about this is crap.

I'll post more details later if someone wants them. I just don't have time right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Mjcool
                My Recreation Complex is holding classes for this African martial art. It seems like a large thing, at least for a small town like mine, so I'm going to do a little detective work. Classes are beginning quite soon, possibly tomorrow. I'll be in touch. Any information about this alleged martial art would be appreciated.

I also plan to make good on my promise to investigate the To-Shin-Do school where I live during the summer.
                If it has a "do" at the end and it isn't a korean or japanese, then it's probably crap.

Comment

Yeah, I figured as much.

Comment

The two students in the article are about to start instructor training after 4 months? He started in 99 and already has a 7th degree blackbelt student? Wha?!

Comment

Looks like a load of shit.
                      My guess is that people will probably be drawn to it because of the alleged 'African' aspect of it, and people will think it is something exotic, when in reality it's most likely just Krotty/TKD given a new name.

Comment

The uniforms are Taekwondo ITF doboks with a new logo on. Everything is the same: the black borders on the jacket for 1 Dan and up, and the stripes on the sides for 4 Dan and above (I think).

Comment

He arrived in North Platte earlier this year, transferring from the Wal-Mart in Omaha to the North Platte store.
                          "I was working three days a week," Hukporti said. "Then I would sit at home and wonder how I could help the community."
                          Sure, you sure you wern't smoking pot, thinking about how much your life sucks because you got ran out of the last town and you work at walmart, then you decided you could always attempt to make up a martial art, sucker in some kids and start a francise?

Comment

It's the same old story: man gets blackbelt in TKD, creates new system and styles himself "Grandmaster." Soon he's got a cadre of 7th degree blackbelt nebbished spreading the mediocrity and giving making maritial arts look silly. It's mostly harmless however.

Comment

The website looks crap.

Still, there's plenty of scams coming out of Africa at the moment. Makes a change from all the e-mails I keep getting wanting me to give my bank account details so the son of some African chief can depoit THE SUM OF 20.5 (TWENTY POINT FIVE) MILLION DOLLARS in my account.

African name combined with an Asian suffix sounds fookin' awful.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X