Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ARAKAN in Brisbane, Australia - a MA from Burma.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• battlefields
    replied
    Originally posted by cualltaigh View Post

He said whilst landing a triple flip in pike position off of the cognitive parallel bars.
    Best.

Leave a comment:

• cualltaigh
    replied
    Originally posted by futerchui View Post
    Anything I say on its effectiveness as a skill will be meaningless as any skeptics will just assume I'm overly biased and fallen for the trap. which is why I did not say anything. All i can say is that I find it very rewarding and have definitely noticed that the techniques taught have helped me get more power out of my strikes. Also the "circular movement" thing makes so much sense in the context of actually knowing the basic of the martial art.
    No, only things that you say which are not backed by facts or solid reasoning will be meaningless. What is your martial arts training expertise? How qualified are you to determine the effectiveness of the techniques? Can you provide examples (e.g. video) of what you think are effective techniques within the syllabus?

Seeing as the article refers to it as "Danyawaddy Thaing (Rakhine)", it seems entirely plausible that the martial arts has multiple names back in Burma. Like how Germany is called Deutschland and Japan is called Nipon. I already showed the Danyawaddy connection in the previous post. It's not concrete but you certainly dont have to stretch your imagination to connect how the names can be changed slightly and mixed up.
    You shouldn't have to use your imagination at all regarding the legitimacy of your martial art.

They don't conflate the martial arts with the region. If they have, please find me the quote.The martial art is named after the region though which i believe is the point of confusion.
    I already did.

The quote "Arakan, as a region, ancient kingdom and as a martial art has had a long and intriguing history." does not conflate the martial art with the kingdom or region,
    Yes it does. Look up the definition of conflate.

if it does than you must concede that it conflates the region with the kingdom which makes no sense, as it would also conflate the martial art with the kingdom which is no longer active.
    I know, it's almost like they were intentionally being vague and confusing...

Perhaps there is a less confusing way they could have written up the website but they are fighters not poets.
    Are they fighters? Do any of them have a fight record? Is there any objective evidence of any of them fighting or utilising any of their techniques in an alive manner? Ever? Anywhere?

As to the dates thing, the pragraph and even sentence can only be interpreted as the region - "The Arakan region is located on the Western side of Burma and shares close proximity to China, India and Bangladesh. Arakan history dates back to as far back as 2666 B.C and has had an excess of 145 kings divided up into a number of dynasties." You'd have to do some serious cognitive acrobatics to interpret that to be describing the martial arts.
    He said whilst landing a triple flip in pike position off of the cognitive parallel bars.

The website never claims that Arakan as a martial arts is as old as the region or kingdom. though the funy thing is, is that even if they did, it would still be completely within the realm of possibiity that students in Burma are taught that it was.
    There we go again, plausible, stretching the imagination.

Funny thing is, real martial arts don't need imagination or plausible excuses. They are easily and demonstrably viable.

Leave a comment:

• ermghoti
    replied
    It's like Bad Martial Art Bingo.

Biomechanically unsound techniques, laughable multiple opponent claims, smacking around uke that are clearly not allowed to respond?

Imaginary responses to ambush attacks, teh deadlee barfight, summon fatuous local media figure?

Suicidal weapon defense?

Crappling? Oh, you know for damn sure there's crappling.

Leave a comment:

• Tramirezmma
    replied
    Anything I say on its effectiveness as a skill will be meaningless as any skeptics will just assume I'm overly biased and fallen for the trap. which is why I did not say anything. All i can say is that I find it very rewarding and have definitely noticed that the techniques taught have helped me get more power out of my strikes. Also the "circular movement" thing makes so much sense in the context of actually knowing the basic of the martial art.

Seeing as the article refers to it as "Danyawaddy Thaing (Rakhine)", it seems entirely plausible that the martial arts has multiple names back in Burma. Like how Germany is called Deutschland and Japan is called Nipon. I already showed the Danyawaddy connection in the previous post. It's not concrete but you certainly dont have to stretch your imagination to connect how the names can be changed slightly and mixed up.

They don't conflate the martial arts with the region. If they have, please find me the quote.The martial art is named after the region though which i believe is the point of confusion.

The quote "Arakan, as a region, ancient kingdom and as a martial art has had a long and intriguing history." does not conflate the martial art with the kingdomor region, if it does than you must concede that it conflates the region with the kingdom which makes no sense, as it would also conflate the martial art with the kingdom which is no longer active. Never does it say that the martial arts has existed for as long as the region has been known as Arakan (Rakhine) or for as long as the Danyawaddys were in power. Perhaps there is a less confusing way they could have written up the website but they are fighters not poets.

As to the dates thing, the pragraph and even sentence can only be interpreted as the region - "The Arakan region is located on the Western side of Burma and shares close proximity to China, India and Bangladesh. Arakan history dates back to as far back as 2666 B.C and has had an excess of 145 kings divided up into a number of dynasties." You'd have to do some serious cognitive acrobatics to interpret that to be describing the martial arts.

The website never claims that Arakan as a martial arts is as old as the region or kingdom. though the funy thing is, is that even if they did, it would still be completely within the realm of possibiity that students in Burma are taught that it was.
    Put up some video of these techniques, preferably in a pressure-testing situation, and you will prove everybody wrong. Not only that, but you will be my hero. Otherwise you claiming a suspect martial art is actually effective is, in fact, exactly what you assume what we would say. It doesn't even have to be you, just show us an example of your art effectively fighting.

Leave a comment:

• futerchui
    replied

The quote "Arakan, as a region, ancient kingdom and as a martial art has had a long and intriguing history." does not conflate the martial art with the kingdomor region, if it does than you must concede that it conflates the region with the kingdom which makes no sense, as it would also conflate the martial art with the kingdom which is no longer active. Never does it say that the martial arts has existed for as long as the region has been known as Arakan (Rakhine) or for as long as the Danyawaddys were in power. Perhaps there is a less confusing way they could have written up the website but they are fighters not poets.

Leave a comment:

• cualltaigh
    replied
    TL;DR, people didnt read the arakan website correctly, the history is consistent with outside sources & definitely not a money-hungry cult. Can't post links becauseim new to this site.
    Yes they did.

What you don't have is any verifiable information showing that what is being sold as Arakan Martial Art is this "danyawaddy thaing".

The website never claims that the martial arts dates back to 2666 B.C., just that Arakan as a state does.
    Actually they conflate the name of the martial art with the region so as to infer that the martial art also dates back to 2666 B.C.:

emphasis mine

Arakan, as a region, ancient kingdom and as a martial art has had a long and intriguing history.
    https://www.arakan.com.au/what-is-ar...ial-art-5.aspx
    Arakan history dates back to as far back as 2666 B.C...
    https://www.arakan.com.au/history-of...ial-art-6.aspx

Leave a comment:

• ermghoti
    replied
    Did I miss anything?
    Yes, training in an effective martial art.

Leave a comment:

• futerchui
    replied
    TL;DR, people didnt read the arakan website correctly, the history is consistent with outside sources & definitely not a money-hungry cult. Can't post links becauseim new to this site.

Got a genuine Myanmarese news source confirming the existence of a "danyawaddy thaing (Rakhine)" (google myanmar times It’s a Myanmar thaing).

"Roughly translating into “circular movement” thaing is an umbrella encompassing all of Myanmar’s traditional Martial Arts and has been used since the Pagan era (8th century CE); however the forms themselves are thought to be even older than this." (previous Myanmar Times Article) and Arakan is the English translation of Rakhine. Danyawaddy seems to be an old ass dynasty of the Rakhine Kingdom between 3325 BC-326 AD (google danyawaddy). This is completely consistent with the websites claims.

The website never claims that the martial arts dates back to 2666 B.C., just that Arakan as a state does. "Arakan history dates back to as far back as 2666 B.C and has had an excess of 145 kings divided up into a number of dynasties." That quote is taken from a short paragraph mentioning Arakan in the context of the region on its history page.

The claim of it being "cult-like" seems a bit silly to me. You can make anything seem like a cult if it suits your narrative and Supreme Warlock Rob the Immortal (may he grant me strength and wisdom) assures us that it is not a cult, and he would know, he is omniscient.

I haven't been required to purchase their uniform and I did get a free trial lesson. The seminars are encouraged but not required, I havent been to any of those yet and i certainly havent been pressured into attending one either. I don't think JimmyNuetron knows what a pyramid scheme is. Pyramid shcemes are largely defined by the promise of making money from the scheme later in life. Arakan doesnt suggest that at all. It's a class to learn a skill.

Did I miss anything?

Leave a comment:

• gregaquaman
    replied
    Originally posted by JimmyNuetron View Post
    I attended a bring your friend class last night with my girlfriend whose been doing classes for nearly a year now I found this forum because I was searching to see if Arakan was legit or a scam which is what vibe I was getting from it. The class was all right the trainers were friendly and taught blocking and back handed punching however after the class had finished they all got together and asked for new people to give a few words on what they had learned and felt, only the trainers spoke about how amazing and life changing and confidence building the MA was and how it would be insane not to join.

They offered 4 private classes for only $66 but you had to sign up on the spot, about 5-6 different trainers came up to me asking me if I was going to sign up, telling me the stories of why they signed up and why I should sign up with them. After declining them all one of them said he had my mobile number from the waver I signed and that he would just give me a few calls now and then to see if I wanted to sign up.

Seemed money hungry and pyramid schemey to me I know my girlfriend pays $88 per class which seems insane as well as $150 to buy a uniform.
    But there is actually good martial arts in Brisbane. I don't get it.

Leave a comment:

• JimmyNuetron
    replied
    Originally posted by Guird View Post
    no meetup, sparring, or trial class, ffs!

no VHS rip! FFS!

I read all 27 pages of this thread!
    arrrghhh the blueballs!
    I attended a bring your friend class last night with my girlfriend whose been doing classes for nearly a year now I found this forum because I was searching to see if Arakan was legit or a scam which is what vibe I was getting from it. The class was all right the trainers were friendly and taught blocking and back handed punching however after the class had finished they all got together and asked for new people to give a few words on what they had learned and felt, only the trainers spoke about how amazing and life changing and confidence building the MA was and how it would be insane not to join.

They offered 4 private classes for only $66 but you had to sign up on the spot, about 5-6 different trainers came up to me asking me if I was going to sign up, telling me the stories of why they signed up and why I should sign up with them. After declining them all one of them said he had my mobile number from the waver I signed and that he would just give me a few calls now and then to see if I wanted to sign up.

Seemed money hungry and pyramid schemey to me I know my girlfriend pays $88 per class which seems insane as well as $150 to buy a uniform.

Leave a comment:

• JimmyNuetron
    replied
    Originally posted by Guird View Post

no VHS rip! FFS!

arrrghhh the blueballs!

Leave a comment:

• Bar Humbug
    replied
    Originally posted by dubious View Post
    New video "Arakan defense against a "Street" headlock"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrdpA0HgEa0
    Bas Rutten had a good line when talking about a ninja's defence against an RNC, seems applicable to this suggested technique

Leave a comment:

• Guird
    replied

no VHS rip! FFS!

arrrghhh the blueballs!

Leave a comment:

• dubious
    replied
    Guess who's back with a brand new rap

New video "Arakan defense against a "Street" headlock"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrdpA0HgEa0

Leave a comment:

• Kravbizarre
    replied
    Took me a while to get through this thread. Looks like they operate in melbourne too now. Sounds insanly expensive, for that cost of a single lesson i get 2 weeks unlimited training at the mma gym i go to (boxing, MT, bjj and actual mma classes).

Arakan sounds like a new krav maga. Boasts killer moves that cant be used in the ring or in sparring. The sparring consists of stupid single attacks. Ive done the forementioned so i can see the simularities, i still cant get over the price.

They must really make their students feel helpless unless they keep going to class.

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X