Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ARAKAN in Brisbane, Australia - a MA from Burma.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dubious View Post
    New video "Arakan defense against a "Street" headlock"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrdpA0HgEa0
    Bas Rutten had a good line when talking about a ninja's defence against an RNC, seems applicable to this suggested technique

Comment

Originally posted by Guird View Post
      no meetup, sparring, or trial class, ffs!

no VHS rip! FFS!

I read all 27 pages of this thread!
      arrrghhh the blueballs!
      I attended a bring your friend class last night with my girlfriend whose been doing classes for nearly a year now I found this forum because I was searching to see if Arakan was legit or a scam which is what vibe I was getting from it. The class was all right the trainers were friendly and taught blocking and back handed punching however after the class had finished they all got together and asked for new people to give a few words on what they had learned and felt, only the trainers spoke about how amazing and life changing and confidence building the MA was and how it would be insane not to join.
      They offered 4 private classes for only $66 but you had to sign up on the spot, about 5-6 different trainers came up to me asking me if I was going to sign up, telling me the stories of why they signed up and why I should sign up with them. After declining them all one of them said he had my mobile number from the waver I signed and that he would just give me a few calls now and then to see if I wanted to sign up.
      Seemed money hungry and pyramid schemey to me I know my girlfriend pays $88 per class which seems insane as well as $150 to buy a uniform.

Comment

Originally posted by Guird View Post
        no meetup, sparring, or trial class, ffs!

no VHS rip! FFS!

I read all 27 pages of this thread!
        arrrghhh the blueballs!
        I attended a bring your friend class last night with my girlfriend whose been doing classes for nearly a year now I found this forum because I was searching to see if Arakan was legit or a scam which is what vibe I was getting from it. The class was all right the trainers were friendly and taught blocking and back handed punching however after the class had finished they all got together and asked for new people to give a few words on what they had learned and felt, only the trainers spoke about how amazing and life changing and confidence building the MA was and how it would be insane not to join.

They offered 4 private classes for only $66 but you had to sign up on the spot, about 5-6 different trainers came up to me asking me if I was going to sign up, telling me the stories of why they signed up and why I should sign up with them. After declining them all one of them said he had my mobile number from the waver I signed and that he would just give me a few calls now and then to see if I wanted to sign up.

Seemed money hungry and pyramid schemey to me I know my girlfriend pays $88 per class which seems insane as well as $150 to buy a uniform.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyNuetron View Post

But there is actually good martial arts in Brisbane. I don't get it.

Comment

TL;DR, people didnt read the arakan website correctly, the history is consistent with outside sources & definitely not a money-hungry cult. Can't post links becauseim new to this site.

Got a genuine Myanmarese news source confirming the existence of a "danyawaddy thaing (Rakhine)" (google myanmar times It’s a Myanmar thaing).

"Roughly translating into “circular movement” thaing is an umbrella encompassing all of Myanmar’s traditional Martial Arts and has been used since the Pagan era (8th century CE); however the forms themselves are thought to be even older than this." (previous Myanmar Times Article) and Arakan is the English translation of Rakhine. Danyawaddy seems to be an old ass dynasty of the Rakhine Kingdom between 3325 BC-326 AD (google danyawaddy). This is completely consistent with the websites claims.

The website never claims that the martial arts dates back to 2666 B.C., just that Arakan as a state does. "Arakan history dates back to as far back as 2666 B.C and has had an excess of 145 kings divided up into a number of dynasties." That quote is taken from a short paragraph mentioning Arakan in the context of the region on its history page.

The claim of it being "cult-like" seems a bit silly to me. You can make anything seem like a cult if it suits your narrative and Supreme Warlock Rob the Immortal (may he grant me strength and wisdom) assures us that it is not a cult, and he would know, he is omniscient.

I haven't been required to purchase their uniform and I did get a free trial lesson. The seminars are encouraged but not required, I havent been to any of those yet and i certainly havent been pressured into attending one either. I don't think JimmyNuetron knows what a pyramid scheme is. Pyramid shcemes are largely defined by the promise of making money from the scheme later in life. Arakan doesnt suggest that at all. It's a class to learn a skill.

Did I miss anything?

Comment

Originally posted by futerchui View Post
              Did I miss anything?
              Yes, training in an effective martial art.

Comment

TL;DR, people didnt read the arakan website correctly, the history is consistent with outside sources & definitely not a money-hungry cult. Can't post links becauseim new to this site.
                Yes they did.

What you don't have is any verifiable information showing that what is being sold as Arakan Martial Art is this "danyawaddy thaing".

The website never claims that the martial arts dates back to 2666 B.C., just that Arakan as a state does.
                Actually they conflate the name of the martial art with the region so as to infer that the martial art also dates back to 2666 B.C.:

emphasis mine

Arakan, as a region, ancient kingdom and as a martial art has had a long and intriguing history.
                https://www.arakan.com.au/what-is-ar...ial-art-5.aspx
                Arakan history dates back to as far back as 2666 B.C...
                https://www.arakan.com.au/history-of...ial-art-6.aspx

Comment

Anything I say on its effectiveness as a skill will be meaningless as any skeptics will just assume I'm overly biased and fallen for the trap. which is why I did not say anything. All i can say is that I find it very rewarding and have definitely noticed that the techniques taught have helped me get more power out of my strikes. Also the "circular movement" thing makes so much sense in the context of actually knowing the basic of the martial art.

Seeing as the article refers to it as "Danyawaddy Thaing (Rakhine)", it seems entirely plausible that the martial arts has multiple names back in Burma. Like how Germany is called Deutschland and Japan is called Nipon. I already showed the Danyawaddy connection in the previous post. It's not concrete but you certainly dont have to stretch your imagination to connect how the names can be changed slightly and mixed up.

They don't conflate the martial arts with the region. If they have, please find me the quote.The martial art is named after the region though which i believe is the point of confusion.

The quote "Arakan, as a region, ancient kingdom and as a martial art has had a long and intriguing history." does not conflate the martial art with the kingdomor region, if it does than you must concede that it conflates the region with the kingdom which makes no sense, as it would also conflate the martial art with the kingdom which is no longer active. Never does it say that the martial arts has existed for as long as the region has been known as Arakan (Rakhine) or for as long as the Danyawaddys were in power. Perhaps there is a less confusing way they could have written up the website but they are fighters not poets.

As to the dates thing, the pragraph and even sentence can only be interpreted as the region - "The Arakan region is located on the Western side of Burma and shares close proximity to China, India and Bangladesh. Arakan history dates back to as far back as 2666 B.C and has had an excess of 145 kings divided up into a number of dynasties." You'd have to do some serious cognitive acrobatics to interpret that to be describing the martial arts.

The website never claims that Arakan as a martial arts is as old as the region or kingdom. though the funy thing is, is that even if they did, it would still be completely within the realm of possibiity that students in Burma are taught that it was.

Comment

Anything I say on its effectiveness as a skill will be meaningless as any skeptics will just assume I'm overly biased and fallen for the trap. which is why I did not say anything. All i can say is that I find it very rewarding and have definitely noticed that the techniques taught have helped me get more power out of my strikes. Also the "circular movement" thing makes so much sense in the context of actually knowing the basic of the martial art.

Seeing as the article refers to it as "Danyawaddy Thaing (Rakhine)", it seems entirely plausible that the martial arts has multiple names back in Burma. Like how Germany is called Deutschland and Japan is called Nipon. I already showed the Danyawaddy connection in the previous post. It's not concrete but you certainly dont have to stretch your imagination to connect how the names can be changed slightly and mixed up.

They don't conflate the martial arts with the region. If they have, please find me the quote.The martial art is named after the region though which i believe is the point of confusion.

The quote "Arakan, as a region, ancient kingdom and as a martial art has had a long and intriguing history." does not conflate the martial art with the kingdomor region, if it does than you must concede that it conflates the region with the kingdom which makes no sense, as it would also conflate the martial art with the kingdom which is no longer active. Never does it say that the martial arts has existed for as long as the region has been known as Arakan (Rakhine) or for as long as the Danyawaddys were in power. Perhaps there is a less confusing way they could have written up the website but they are fighters not poets.

As to the dates thing, the pragraph and even sentence can only be interpreted as the region - "The Arakan region is located on the Western side of Burma and shares close proximity to China, India and Bangladesh. Arakan history dates back to as far back as 2666 B.C and has had an excess of 145 kings divided up into a number of dynasties." You'd have to do some serious cognitive acrobatics to interpret that to be describing the martial arts.

The website never claims that Arakan as a martial arts is as old as the region or kingdom. though the funy thing is, is that even if they did, it would still be completely within the realm of possibiity that students in Burma are taught that it was.
                    Put up some video of these techniques, preferably in a pressure-testing situation, and you will prove everybody wrong. Not only that, but you will be my hero. Otherwise you claiming a suspect martial art is actually effective is, in fact, exactly what you assume what we would say. It doesn't even have to be you, just show us an example of your art effectively fighting.

Comment

It's like Bad Martial Art Bingo.

Biomechanically unsound techniques, laughable multiple opponent claims, smacking around uke that are clearly not allowed to respond?

Imaginary responses to ambush attacks, teh deadlee barfight, summon fatuous local media figure?

Suicidal weapon defense?

Crappling? Oh, you know for damn sure there's crappling.

Comment

No, only things that you say which are not backed by facts or solid reasoning will be meaningless. What is your martial arts training expertise? How qualified are you to determine the effectiveness of the techniques? Can you provide examples (e.g. video) of what you think are effective techniques within the syllabus?

You shouldn't have to use your imagination at all regarding the legitimacy of your martial art.

I already did.

The quote "Arakan, as a region, ancient kingdom and as a martial art has had a long and intriguing history." does not conflate the martial art with the kingdom or region,
                        Yes it does. Look up the definition of conflate.

if it does than you must concede that it conflates the region with the kingdom which makes no sense, as it would also conflate the martial art with the kingdom which is no longer active.
                        I know, it's almost like they were intentionally being vague and confusing...

Perhaps there is a less confusing way they could have written up the website but they are fighters not poets.
                        Are they fighters? Do any of them have a fight record? Is there any objective evidence of any of them fighting or utilising any of their techniques in an alive manner? Ever? Anywhere?

He said whilst landing a triple flip in pike position off of the cognitive parallel bars.

There we go again, plausible, stretching the imagination.

Funny thing is, real martial arts don't need imagination or plausible excuses. They are easily and demonstrably viable.

Comment

Originally posted by cualltaigh View Post

He said whilst landing a triple flip in pike position off of the cognitive parallel bars.
                          Best.
                          GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.
                          Originally posted by Devil
                          I think Battlefields and I had a spirited discussion once about who was the biggest narcissist. We both wanted the title but at the end of the day I had to concede defeat. Can't win 'em all.
                          Originally posted by BackFistMonkey
                          I <3 Battlefields...

Comment

Former Boxer's Reply

All striking arts do teach to use all of the body. Boxing uses all the techs that you talk about. Movement to hit and not hit . Full power punches to head and. Your deadly strike to neck would blocked by one of my hands block and the other the other hand hitting you in the face or body. More than likely this would be the combos of punches. Get the picture. Ihve been hit enough to know I can keep going.Marjoe

Comment

Hello everyone.

I'm from the Gold Coast and have been doing Arakan for about three years now. I usually train in a group lesson once a week and do one-on-one privates when I can afford it (yes, it's expensive!). I actually found this thread while trying to research the history of Arakan myself.

I have personally met the chief instructor Rob Kyaw more than a few times and had the opportunity to do a couple of group seminars taken by him. I haven't graded to any belts yet so if you want to ask me anything about it from a below yellow belt perspective then go ahead and ask and I'll be more than happy to answer as best I can. Outside of Arakan I have no experience in any other martial arts aside from what you see in the movies, so I won't be able to make comparisons, unfortunately. But hopefully I can address some areas where people would be rightfully skeptical.

I've (thankfully) got no idea on its effectiveness in a one-on-one bar fight, let alone with multiple attackers, but quite a few times a student has been able to defeat one attacker very quickly. One thing I have learned is that fights are never 'perfect' and that you can't ever get a clean strike in like you've been trained to, so me trying to defend Arakan as a street defense technique is pointless because I've never had to use it. In a perfect world your opponent would respectfully bow to you before glassing you in the face like a true warrior, right?

Regarding the history of Arakan, despite my best google-fu I cannot verify it myself, but I do know that it does come from an old Rakhine art. As best as I can tell, it may have been adapted to be more relevant from a modern self defence point of view, which to me is reasonable since we're not defending a royal family from an opposing military force, but by how much it has changed from its original form I don't know. Rob actually travels back to Burma a few times a year to train with the people who trained him.

My personal thoughts on the art itself: Yeah, it's a fast, adaptable technique. Very fluid. The amount of things you can do with a limited (for me) tool set is quite cool. I've been able to glimpse some of the stuff that the more experienced students and instructors can get up to and it blows me away. At my level, I've been taught a fairly basic array of strikes, grabs, throws, kicks and forwards-backwards movement, with the occasional more advanced technique sprinkled in. Once you get up to orange and green belt level then the things they've been teaching you get thrown out the window and you start to learn how to break the rules that made the foundation of what you learned up to then. The advanced stuff is way beyond my comprehension or expertise so don't expect me to be able to explain it at all!

The main takeaway that I've had form Arakan is that everyone's on their own personal journey of becoming better at something, and I really appreciate how raw and immediate any feedback is from the instructors. It has brought a lot of good people up out of some really dark places and made them better human beings, and for me it allows me to walk with my shoulders back and my head up high, which is what it's all about, isn't it?

Now I've read this post about fourfty-hundred times before posting to make sure I don't sound like a complete moron, understanding that I've come into this forum full of very real and very experienced martial arts enthusiasts from a wide range of backgrounds. Hopefully I can answer some questions.

Comment

You already did.
                                My personal thoughts on the art itself: Yeah, it's a fast, adaptable technique. Very fluid. The amount of things you can do with a limited (for me) tool set is quite cool. I've been able to glimpse some of the stuff that the more experienced students and instructors can get up to and it blows me away. At my level, I've been taught a fairly basic array of strikes, grabs, throws, kicks and forwards-backwards movement, with the occasional more advanced technique sprinkled in. Once you get up to orange and green belt level then the things they've been teaching you get thrown out the window and you start to learn how to break the rules that made the foundation of what you learned up to then. The advanced stuff is way beyond my comprehension or expertise so don't expect me to be able to explain it at all!
                                Sorry, but no. I used to believe this as well, it is a lie. Yes, there are advanced techniques. They are advanced because you have no foundation as a beginner. No, you NEVER throw out all you learn to start over. I'd run from any art who tells you throwing out your foundation is a good idea. To me, it means "I was teaching you shit, to make sure you are ready for the truth." No, I was ready for the truth at the start, if my foundation was false, so are my self defense skills.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X