Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ARAKAN in Brisbane, Australia - a MA from Burma.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kung Fu Master View Post
    If someone wouldn't mind loading this one up too:

Arakan Martial Art 2nd Degree Senior Instructor Richard Burkett.mov

Cheers

Comment

Ha! I just realized when watching, I went to high school with one of teh d3adly attackers in this last video.

Burmese bitch slapping.

Comment

Arakan, now proudly teaching "nightclub defence"

Comment

It kind of looks like a soft cock version of SPM.

Comment

Originally posted by Grab my fist View Post
            It kind of looks like a soft cock version of SPM.
            Southern Praying Mantis I assume?

Quite an interesting business structure here. Our 2nd degree instructor traded as 'Arakan Martial Arts' as a sole trader from '06-'11. There's a main company, a dormant company (potentially corporate trustee?) and two discretionary trusts (on trading, one investment). Also a potentially linked Sydney company (born out of a partnership) but I can't be bothered shelling out any $'s to find out, without due cause.

Comment

Yes, Southern Praying Mantis.

Sorry...

I believe Robert trained briefly under Tony Conley (SPM) in Bris Vegas and then went off to invent the whole Arakan thing.

It was started here in Ozland I'm afraid - not in Burma
              Last edited by Grab my fist; 11/21/2012 1:18am, .

Comment

Arakan eh?

When I moved to the Gold Coast from overseas and was in a position to get back into MA training after a few years off (marriage, kids etc) I got a brochure and went along for a look / free lesson.

Short Story: I settled on aikido - the guys training are less delusional.

Make of that what you will.

Comment

I still want to see that VHS rip. :(

Comment

Originally posted by traversnz View Post
                    Short Story: I settled on aikido - the guys training are less delusional.
                    That's a scary thought o_o

I see that the Arakan videos have disabled commenting. IMO that's a pretty clear sign that they are not confident with the content of their videos, and therefore are scared that people calling them out on their BS might scare away potential customers.

Arskanator: stating the obvious on Bullshido since 2009.

Comment

That's why I left it open. Incidentally. I met an Arakan practicioner (?) yesterday - the father of a girl in my daughter's ballet class. He likes to practice his "moves" (his terminology) outside the ballet studio. This is apparently encouraged now, so more people can be exposed to the art.
                      Last edited by traversnz; 11/27/2012 5:26pm, . Reason: Typos and general shittines at quoting

Comment

Originally posted by traversnz View Post

That's why I left it open. Incidentally. I met an Arakan practicioner (?) yesterday - the father of a girl in my daughter's ballet class. He likes to practice his "moves" (his terminology) outside the ballet studio. This is apparently encouraged now, so more people can be exposed to the art.
                        Lol, we seriously need to get a TD happening in SEQ over the summer and lets see if we can't get one or a few of these guys along to expose us their art. Of course it will only be polite to return the favour.

Comment

Yeah, agreed.
                          I was a bit worried a first, a grown man outside a children's ballet class doing strange things, but then I remembered my (9yo) daughter does judo - she can take him.

Comment

I found out this week that my District Manager, the guy with complete power over how far I go in this company, is a long term member of this cult. His personal goal training once a week is to be able to beat up a golden gloves boxer.

Comment

Originally posted by Sang View Post
                              I found out this week that my District Manager, the guy with complete power over how far I go in this company, is a long term member of this cult. His personal goal training once a week is to be able to beat up a golden gloves boxer.
                              I know one. How much does your mate weigh?

Actually you don't have to be that crash hot to enter a golden gloves comp.

Comment

I noticed a rant on their facebook page by one of the instructors who apparently, stopped an attemped break and enter at his home by simply twirling a pair of escrima sticks in front of the bad guys!

Some smart arse then asked what system of stick fighting they taught, then Pow! thread deleted.

LOL.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X