Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is wing chun/tsun effective? or useless?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is wing chun/tsun effective? or useless?

Last edited by baltasargracian; 5/14/2004 5:35am, .

IMHO, it's neither. I wouldn't use chain punches myself, but I think they could be effective as a pre-emptive striking method or against an unskilled fighter.

I don't find the sticky hands to be usefull, in Vale Tudo/Shootfighting it has been of no use at all.

It does teach some good concepts though, going forward to your opponent with aggression, low line kicks.

It's the most practical version of Kung Fu that I've seen.

Those video clips are all against pre-determined attacks.

Wing Tsun does not work in the ring.

Comment

he seems to have extremely fast hands though, and throws billions of punches in seconds,

I thought it looked quite amazing.
      but not for the ring you say.

Comment

IMHO, it's better to throw one heavy well timed punch than a lot of light chain punches, but don't take my word for it - try it against someone in sparring.

I've been to one of Emin's seminars, everything he demonstrates is against pre-determined attacks.

There have been WT people who've competed in NHB as I'm sure someone will point out, but once they get in there their style no longer resembles WT and chain punching goes right out the window.

Comment

that makes sense about the punching thing, the chain punches are only useful for predetermined attacks you are saying?

so the stances, sticky hands and chain punches all go out the window in nhb fighting?
          that seems a little strange, since it is billed as such an effective art.

it looks kinda weird though, the stance and chain punches sem a little unnatural.

Comment

Is it useless?
            It was/is reputed as a very useful tool
            for saving your ass when it was created and by
            by the members of the triades no less.

How about this...why don't you go and try it
            for yourself and then make a determination? I have noticed a trend on this board with people giving opions on arts as if they have participated in depth study of said arts and they most clearly have not. Simply put, most of these people don't know what int the hell they are talking about. Any body may read that as they wish...but what I am saying is, you should at least do some backround research yourself.

Comment

Best advice - give it a try.
              All arts were obviously reputed useful by those whom created them!
              I feel that I've spent enough time training Wing Tsun/Chun to be able to comment on it thanks.

Comment

Ok, but I believe otherwise.

Comment

what is the problem with sticky hands? is it a range issue? a resisting-opponent issue?

Comment

Oh yeah, things that are not useful do not poliferate. Simple as that.

Comment

well, I guess that is good advice, im essentially wanting to learn what others have to say about it.

it will save me $$ on uniforms, member fees etc
                      damn if I joined a WT school and bought a uniform and paid the going rate for classes etc, just to "find out if it is effective for myself" (I guess getting into some fights and trying use it as well) it could end up costing a lot!!!!!!!

that is why im asking (informed choice, other unstated reasons etc)

thanks for your replies and advice however.

Comment

"what is the problem with sticky hands? is it a range issue? a resisting-opponent issue"

The first thing people usually do when they lack
                        proficiency in something is to blame that "something".

"All arts were obviously reputed useful by those whom created them"
                        Wing Chun as been around a lot longer than the people who contributed to it's creation. It was and is used by people who fought on a frequent basis, who did'nt have to time wax about what they "think" would work according to their "extensive" experience of getting into physical beef with people with every intent of hurting you.

Comment

I think MikeyB is partially correct. I have tired of art/style specific criticisms that come from people with an obvious lack of exposure. However, there are definite trends within certain "styles" that do not require proof or personal testimony in order for them to be pointed out. The "try it yourself" argument can only go so far: How many classes? How many years? How many belts/levels before I can say what I think?

And in any case, *some* people can look at a technique or practice, and if they know its intent, they can have a good idea of its usefulness.

As far as Yong Chun (Mandarin, so I don't have to use all the variations of the spellings) being the most effective CMA style...why? How do we know?

Personally, I have problems with the tendencies of some Yong Chun drills to lead into bad habits, and I think the footwork is questionable, but as there are a seemingly infinite number of divisions within its community over some of these things, I can anticipate only that it will be pointed out to me that only the OTHER Grandmaster does things the wrong way.

It seems to have been designed primarily to deal with other CMArtists, would that be incorrect? From what I've seen, there could be a lot to learn about hands and entry from it, but it seems like sometimes they get really fixated on the hands. (I've known a couple of practitioners)

And now for a personal anecdote:

Once I witnessed a brief fight between two guys that involved one guy laughing and moving around while deflecting a flurry of desperate looking punches with his shoulders. It was quite comical, and after a while he tired of this, grabbed the other guy and tossed him on the ground, where he held him until he agreed to calm down. Afterwards, it was revealed to us that the flurry of pathetic punches was a "Martial Arts Technique", the art was...Yong Chun. Anyway, proves nothing.

"I'm devastating, looking for some refreshment!"

Courtesy of flubtitles.com
                          Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the fuck I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Comment

"Things that are not useful do not proliferate."

MikeyB,
                            You're frequently one of the wiser heads on the board, but that's just wrong on so many levels.

"I'm devastating, looking for some refreshment!"

Courtesy of flubtitles.com
                            Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the fuck I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Comment

I guess Im asking for experienced-based advice,
                              (aside from any common sense or obvious and otherwise logical truisms).

I keep reading conflicting opinions , which I guess relates to what Mikeyb is saying about people saying stuff they dont know about.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X