Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HAPKO3
    replied
    I personally love it when my partners tell me what I'm doing wrong. Having my mistakes pointed out to me is the only way I learn.

Chances are this girl you practice with is gonna get over her ego or drop out sometime soon. There's on other way, really.

Leave a comment:

• Shura
    replied
    At my club most of the time it's just the regulars and I ahve a regular sparring partner who works well with me.

Some people are just embarrassed and irritated that what is so hard for them is easy for you. Now if they don't respect you they will resent your advice and feel that you are making fun of them. In this case don't start a fight 'cos they wont accept anything but the highest authority and that means the sensei. Respect is an important thing in the dojo, and those that can't give it rarely stay long.

Now doesn't that make you feel better?

Leave a comment:

• WTDude
    replied
    I was just being silly!

You can't make a man by standing a sheep on its hindlegs but if you get a group of men together you can create a herd of sheep.

Leave a comment:

• Dibble
    replied
    That's what I get for reading fast...on second skim, it kinda reminds me of Hemingway v. Stein.

JKDChick, I think the biggest problem you are having is the fact that you don't understand women. If you could try to get a woman's perspective on things it might help you out alot in situations like this.

Edited by - WTDude on April 24 2003 12:10:23
    "...Reporting from the Pork Chop Express..."

Leave a comment:

• dbulmer
    replied
    WTDude may have been ironic. :)

Leave a comment:

• Bolverk
    replied
    JKDChick,

Try the positive approach. Tell her what you like about the things she is doing. If there are only a small number of things, or only one, focus on that and give her resonable praise. After you have inflated her ego a bit, use the same positive approach toward what she is doing badly. Try not to sound negative, since this will not give you the desired response from her, and then work with her on what she needs help with. Do not instruct, but give a good demonstration. Seek out your Sifu to give her advice, perhaps have him observe her when you are training together.

Other then that, the only thing you can do is not train with her. But that would not be desireable since diversity (not quotas, LOL) in training partners is always a plus.

Knowing it is not enough, we must apply.
    Willing is not enough, we must do.

Leave a comment:

• JKDChick
    replied
    Oh, no. She was not nervous about hitting me. She's sloppy and agressive in partner drills, always, even in boxing. Did you miss the part about her actively trying to hurt me later?

Frankly, I merely find WTDude's comment confusing.

Shadowy Figure: "Principal Scudworth, that riot was unacceptable."
    Principal Scudworth: "Unacceptable? Did you see the pool? They FLIPPED the bitch!"
    -- Clone High

Leave a comment:

• Fighty McGee
    replied
    Well, if she was doing it right during solo drills, but then flubbing during partner practice, it's probably because she's nervous about getting hit or hitting you. Give her more time to get used to it. Slow it down. She's still new.

Leave a comment:

• PizDoff
    replied
    WTdude hhaahah you gonna get deleted now!!!

"You should have told her she wasn't doing the right thing, but not told her what to do.... i have the same problem about instructing people so what I usually do is tell them they're wrong but tell them to ask sifu to correct them. If they keep doing the wrong thing, that's their problem, I won't let htem do something that hurts me but I won't stop them from screwing up. Then when it's my turn, I do it right.

Sometimes I do them a favour if they won't ask sifu by getting sifu to come over and asking him to show *me* again what to do... a lot of newbies are uncomfortable asking for help."
    that's definately good, though i'm too cool to ask Sifu to show "me" the proper way most of the time, lol

hmm my attitude needs to be changed a bit....well

--
    Hard work, Patience, Dedication.

http://www.thaing.net/technique.htm
    Thanks to Blade Windu for link. Click on link and wait for codec install prompt. Then install and watch. Nasty fights.

Leave a comment:

• PizDoff
    replied
    "So ... was I wrong? Should I have just gone with her not doing the right thing, ignored it?

As an aside, I have been expressly requested by Sifu to not instruct other people during class. I get too impatient."
    call your teacher over to try to help.....you ain't being paid to teach (looks who's talking PizDoff....)

--
    Hard work, Patience, Dedication.

http://www.thaing.net/technique.htm
    Thanks to Blade Windu for link. Click on link and wait for codec install prompt. Then install and watch. Nasty fights.

Leave a comment:

• Dibble
    replied
    WTD, whatcha mean? seriously, interested in your take on how you think it differs?

Leave a comment:

• WTDude
    replied
    JKDChick, I think the biggest problem you are having is the fact that you don't understand women. If you could try to get a woman's perspective on things it might help you out alot in situations like this.

You can't make a man by standing a sheep on its hindlegs but if you get a group of men together you can create a herd of sheep.

Edited by - WTDude on April 24 2003 12:10:23

Leave a comment:

• illyrus
    replied
    I don't think you should have ignored it, and it can be a hard thing to tell someone they're doing something wrong without ticking them off. Das Moose's suggestion was a very good one.

If thats not possible because the instructor is busy, then I tend to try to approach the situation in a slightly apologetic manner. You're correct, therefore there is no need to argue over it, just a simple statement said humbly like "I don't think we're doing this exactly right, I think I need to do this(insert minor correction) and I think you're supposed to be doing this a little more" might cause a change. Generally people don't mind as much when you put both of you at the same level and make a suggestion for both of your movements.

For me, I have a harder time convincing people that they are messing up without using this method(I think most people look at me and see a little red-headed stepchild). The only other viable option for me is to prove that what they are doing is wrong(i.e. let them try full force the wrong way and watch it be countered). I tend not to like this approach as it seems to hurt egos enough to keep them from attending class again.

As for your topic header question, I try to go light on partners and avoid ticking them off if I can. I try to to build up their confidence if they look like they need it. If they were overconfident then the instructor would normally give me the signal to lower it, but otherwise I would be nice(technically) on them and treat them with respect.

Wyatt

*Edit - Corrected a really stupid spelling mistake.

Edited by - illyrus on April 24 2003 02:12:01

Leave a comment:

• deus ex machina
    replied
    Bitch slap that hoe.

~
    danny

Leave a comment:

• Omega Supreme
    replied
    I would kill my partner. Hmm, I always wondered why nobody likes practicing with me.

Go away I'm talking to myself

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X