Yantai Shaolin Martial Arts Academy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yantai Shaolin Martial Arts Academy?

Has anyone heard of the Yantai Shaolin Martial Arts Academy? Can anyone tell me wether(sp?) or not this place gives quality training?

The website is here, but I end up getting a Forbidden page or a 403 Error.

Thanks

evilgollum,

I used to live in Yantai many years ago, before this school was there. I have a friend in Yantai who is an instructor at the local University, I'll see if I can get ahold of him and have him give me some information on it.
    安氏八极拳学生

Comment

Evilgollum,

I finally got a chance to contact my friend in Yantai and ask him his personal opinions of the Shaolin School there. He is an excellent Wushu instructor and very well connected in the area so if anyone will know what the quality of that place is like he will. I will post any useful information I get here.
      安氏八极拳学生

Comment

Hmm, this post is 2 years old, but maybe people still come across it when doing research.

I live in Yantai. I have heard good things about this school from a TMA standpoint, although it is Quite pricey. They teach traditional gongfu and modern wushu forms. I don't think there is any real sparring, and I would be weary of any "practical application" claims.

In other words, if you want to learn the "art" of gongfu, it's a great school. If you want to learn to "fight", you are better off in Thailand at an MMA or Muay Thai camp... or back home at a good gym for that matter.

I can also recommend / not recommend several other masters in these parts if anyone is interested. PM me or post specific questions and I will be happy to answer them if I can.

Comment

Hey Rob if you don't mind my asking, what's the cost of living like there right now? How much are you spending a month in $?
          安氏八极拳学生

Comment

The company I am working for is paying for everything right now... so not much. Probably 1500-2000Y per month. I could do it a lot cheaper, but there is a (legitimate) massage place right outside of my apartment, and I order a lot of Korean food (expensive). Still, a few hundred bucks a month at most.

I live in the development zone (kaifaqu) in Yantai, and appartments on the beach rent for about 40,000Y a year and up for a 1-2 bedroom. Lower end housing, still decent, a few km from the beach goes for about 12-17000Y a month. You can eat at a cheap chinese place for about 7y, an expensive Korean spot for 50-150 per person.

Any other questions just pm me or shoot me an email. Hope this helps.

btw- The current conversion rate is about 7.19Y per dollar.

Comment

Man how things have changed. I was there a little over 10 years ago, I earned $165 a month and had money to burn. We're talking mugs of beer for about 1.5 RMB.

Who do you work for? If things don't change here in the U.S. for me in the next year or so I may start looking at packing up and heading back to China. My job search is a constant ongoing project.

I'd PM you if I could but you can't receive PM's until you have at least 50 posts, so I hope you check in on this thread from time to time.
              安氏八极拳学生

Comment

no problem...

I put my email in my profile. Let's continue this there? Or maybe we should start a life in china thread in general discussion? Could be a lot of people interested in working in china...

Comment

Originally posted by RobAgle
                  no problem...

I put my email in my profile. Let's continue this there? Or maybe we should start a life in china thread in general discussion? Could be a lot of people interested in working in china...
                  Hey Rob,
                  I checked your profile but don't see an email anywhere. Did I miss it?
                  安氏八极拳学生

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                  X