A good offense is the best defense, or so they say

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A good offense is the best defense, or so they say

Sparring with the lunatic stepdad, I had revealed to me a handy trick--when someone punches, you weave a little to the outside of their punch and whack their hand or forearm.

Only in this case, all my punches were being countered with this. You'd think I would learn my lesson and throw a kick or something, but NOOOO.

I KNOW this isn't an original technique (I'll be totally damned if it is) but have any of you seen this before? What would be even cooler is if anybody's actually used this before. Heh.

My skill with a sword is formidable. My skill with the s-word is flat-out lethal.

Bruce Lee's philosophy....... Jeet Kune Do means "The Way of the INtercepting Fist" and his personal preference was using a stop-hit. As an attack comes in, either hit the limb or hit the person to stop the attack. Not everyone is suited to this, so he didn't make it the BASIS for his style... but that's how he fought. Watch Enter the Dragon or The Way of the Dragon and look for it.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Comment

FMA call it Gunting. Which I believe Bruce Lee derived it from. Correct me if I'm wrong.

==================
      A man without a plan, is not a man...

Nietsche
      Originally posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
      "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Comment

In both San Soo (and scars I believe) when someone throws a punch, one of the many things you can do it strike the incoming limb, usually this is done with a hammerfist.

So basically, yes I have seen it, a lot of MA's do it.

Comment

that is a limb destruction destruction technique. it targets sensitive areas on the arm in order to punish the attacker and make him wary of attacking again. in FMA this is known as 'gunting', or the term 'defanging the snake' is used by some.

there are three basic categories of defense vs. striking attacks. the first is evasion , the second is parry/soft deflection, and the last is blocking. the maxim ' a block is an attack, an attack is a block' is familiar to many in tma. i believe that gunting is the proper expression of blocking. it is not meant to merely neutralize but also to counter-attack simoultaneously. a strong gunting strike will cause the limb to 'shutdown' momentarily, this is usally a involuntary and IMMEDIATE reflex to withdraw and protect the limb. it is generally quite painful and if a nerve is struck, the sensation is intense. you would tend to drop anything in your hand,including weaponry. FMA is generally weapon-based, and this 'attack on the hand' is a speciality of those arts. limb destruction techniques can be accomplished in a variety of ways against all limbs. muay thai has a similar principle with the shin block technique. i would imagine most untrained and unconditioned fighters would not fare well if they 'crossed shins' with a solid muay thai fighter. many hard gungfu styles and karate styles practice an extremely aggressive blocking method. but to describe these methods as 'blocks' is a quite misleading because the intent is to attack and damage the limb not just deflect it. the difference is in the mentality.

Comment

This is a technique in my style of KF, one of my favourites in sparring. I usually use my rear hand to deflect the incoming punch, striking with my foward hand at almost the same time. I manage to catch quite a few people off guard with it.

Edited by - Halogen on April 07 2003 00:57:15

Comment

San Soo I don't think he is saying you can deflect an incomming limb, but that you can jab at the forearm and hand, when in a prone/still position.

I think I know what you mean MC, if it;s your stepdad wouldn't it be boxing? :) Ask him about it :D

Movie Quote: http://funwavs.com/wavfile.php?quote=603&view=1 - Full Metal Jacket
              "Training = pain." - I said that.

PizDoff when drunk: "I'm actually MOST pissed that my target for the evening got drink...then I gave her my Bullshido Canada hoodie like a gentleman because she was outside with not much on...did I mention she barfed twice when I got our jackets...steaming barf is kinda fascinating..." - PizDoff.

Comment

That is also a standard ninjutsu technique Hatsumi Massaki was showing people back in the 80s. Hit the bone right and you can make his whole arm go numb.

Comment

kuntaokid explained the version of this technique that I am familiar with. Percussive disarms are the shizznattie.

Comment

The crazy live-in Marine parental unit never took boxing... but he was really into full-contact when he was around my age. Unfortunately, his skill never really declined, so now I get to stay as his sparring partner/punching bag now that I'm of age.

One day, maybe 20 years from now, I'm gonna jump him when he's ambling around with a walker. Get him back for all that Kato crap he pulls.

But y'know what? As much as I complain, it's very helpful.

And yes, I love this amazing "new" technique. I'm gonna use it all the damn time now. Watch one o' y'all toss me like a sack of grain on August 30th 'cause you see it coming.

My skill with a sword is formidable. My skill with the s-word is flat-out lethal.

Comment

This reminds me of a technique used in my style as well. Try this: simultaneously "slap" the arm (45 degree angle is more effective than trying to intercept it straight across) while stepping in and punching with the other hand (punch over your "blocking" hand.

Comment

"the sensation is intense."
                        heheheh

WTDude-well they be talking of a different effect....but the motions are similar

--
                        Hard work, Patience, Dedication.
                        The more you sweat in training, the less you bleed later.
                        Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

https://www.instagram.com/bullshido/

Comment

Silat, kun tao, empty hand kali, mauy thai and other systems uses these limb distruction techniques. Some systems more than others. They are all pretty good.

"Do what thou wilt is the whole of the Law"
                          Ghost of Charles Dickens

Comment

San Soo I don't think he is saying you can deflect an incomming limb, but that you can jab at the forearm and hand, when in a prone/still position.
                            Actually, if you read his post...

I had revealed to me a handy trick--when someone punches, you weave a little to the outside of their punch and whack their hand or forearm.
                            Strike = block

Comment

And blade is own3d once again...

He carries a gun.
                              THE Arnold Schwarzenegger.
                              A man with a plan.
                              You want some birth control? You can smoke a cigarette.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X